Steve Imming on Jackrabbit Insider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Imming on Jackrabbit Insider

I'm watching the Jackrabbit Insider and the segment on Steve Imming of WNAX Radio. Tyler did a nice segment on Imming.

Jackrabbit fans have the benefit of top-notch radio reporting of men's and women's sports on a very powerful station and a growing group of affiliates.

Re: Steve Imming on Jackrabbit Insider

Imming has just the right radio delivery for SDSU, IMHO . . . a bit understated, a bit amused with the whole thing regardless of how it's going, but smooth and professional throughout.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Steve is very good. If you follow other universities' broadcasts at all, you quickly realize that we're very lucky to have Steve and Tyler doing our play-by-play. I know a lot of Coyote fans aren't too fond of their guy. And I listened to a few Augie games this year and their guy, who I'm sure is an institution down there, has a really... um... unique style.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Steve is very good. If you follow other universities' broadcasts at all, you quickly realize that we're very lucky to have Steve and Tyler doing our play-by-play. I know a lot of Coyote fans aren't too fond of their guy. And I listened to a few Augie games this year and their guy, who I'm sure is an institution down there, has a really... um... unique style.
        Would that be Jeff Fylling? I recall some football games where his color guy a former qb name schultz often sounded like he was to break down in tears. Flylling is an apologist for Augie for everything good and bad. Do those guys get paid?

I second all the good comments about Steve Imming, he told once on Sports Max, that he often practiced at home doing play by play and his parents kept thinking they were hearing a radio somewhere in the house, and later found their son hard at work.

Comment

Second all the good comments about Steve Imming, he told once on Sports Max, that he often practiced at home doing play by play and his parents kept thinking they were hearing a radio somewhere in the house, and later found their son hard at work.

That practice and experience comes through in his call of the games. He is good. Likely a tolerable homer to our opponents. Tyler is growing into that ability. Hope we can keep both around for several more seasons.

Comment

Steve is very thorough in his preperation. In this day and age most arenas, if not all, at D1 level have stat pages that the announcers can look at that give up to the second statistics. It wasn't too many years ago that Steve did it all by free hand during the game which always amazed me. To be able to talk everyone through the game without a color commentator and keep all the stats at the same time takes some real talent.

I have the Insider DVR'd and will check it out tonight.

Tyler also does a nice job. They both have a comforting feel to them when they are doing a game. That's the way radio should be!
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

When we had a winning season,Tyler seemed like the best, this year, he kind of irritates me sometimes, gives too much praise to the opposition and has only negatives for the Jacks to point out, it's probably true, but it gets old real fast.Also, he jabbers too much with all kinds of irrelevent things and doesn't give pertinent information enough, like the score, who's got the ball, how much time left,etc.Maybe it's just me.Imming for the men is much easier to listen to.One more thing, Tyler makes a comment to Lori,and she alway's agree's,can't she disagree once in awhile?It's like......"oh, he's my boss,have to agree with him".I'm probably just grumpy cause i can't be at the game,or the Jacks are losing.Don't get me wrong, I like Tyler overall,he's good at what he does,and you can't please everyone 100%
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-31-2011, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I have always enjoyed Steve Imming and appreciate the preparation he put's into every broadcast. Tyler tries to be funny and loosen up Steve and doesn't work many times and wished Tyler would just blend into Steve's style. I don't see how Lori would be able to continue. I can understand why she would be unable and unwilling to provide blunt analysis of the play of the women of late based on her relationship with the coach.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  I will second this sentiment. Steve is very, very good, especially when compared to what some of our conference mates put on the air.

Tyler is also better than most, and does a ton of research and prep work for each and every game. You only need to watch a Big 10 Network game to realize that not many in the biz will outwork Tyler. While he can be awkward at times, overall he is good and will continue to get better (what is he, 35?).

I look at the two as a sort of Summerall/Madden duo. Sometimes it is painful to listen to, sometimes it will make you laugh, sometimes you will pick up something you wouldn't have otherwise, but it is always entertaining.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    Tyler is also better than most, and does a ton of research and prep work for each and every game. You only need to watch a Big 10 Network game to realize that not many in the biz will outwork Tyler. While he can be awkward at times, overall he is good and will continue to get better (what is he, 35?).
                    I believe he is only 25-26 yrs. old.

Comment

I remember when he was working for Brookings Radio part-time while a student at SDSU and I needed someone to do an area game for us at KJAM. I told my GM about Tyler and he asked him if he'd announce the game for us (I think it was St. Mary vs. Chester). He did and he did an AWESOME job.

SDSU made a smart move hiring him on after he had left to work for Post 22.
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

This seems to be turning into a Tyler thread, so will add my first impression of him while doing SDSU Baseball. I thought we had a future Vince Scully. I still think he has quite a future ahead of him, and Steve I thought sounded as though he was a respectable alum of SDSU. Steve was always considerate of the old NCC rule of not criticizing officals on the air. When we were in the transition period, he was free to comment and he did but I suspect the MVFB and Summit have similar rules.

Comment

Tyler does a great job covering baseball, its something you should hear. He's the best "amateur" announcer I have heard. Doing baseball play-by-play isn't easy. I think he is in his late twenties, and has a bright future.

He could improve his basketball coverage and his on camera demeanor, but hey he's pretty good compared to most, ecspecially for his age. Watch the idiots that do CyHawk TV sometime or other local sports shows. The Jackrabbit Insider is one of the best.

Will they be airing any baseball games on 910 this Spring? I miss that.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            When we had a winning season,Tyler seemed like the best, this year, he kind of irritates me sometimes, gives too much praise to the opposition and has only negatives for the Jacks to point out, it's probably true, but it gets old real fast.Also, he jabbers too much with all kinds of irrelevent things and doesn't give pertinent information enough, like the score, who's got the ball, how much time left,etc.Maybe it's just me.Imming for the men is much easier to listen to.One more thing, Tyler makes a comment to Lori,and she alway's agree's,can't she disagree once in awhile?It's like......"oh, he's my boss,have to agree with him".I'm probably just grumpy cause i can't be at the game,or the Jacks are losing.Don't get me wrong, I like Tyler overall,he's good at what he does,and you can't please everyone 100%
                            I have never thought Tyler has been negative towards the Jacks - in fact,I've thought at times he isn't realistic enough when the ladies aren't playing well. When TV mentioned last Monday during the halftime show that he thought that was the worst he had seen the Jacks play,it seemed like Tyler was shocked that TV had said that.

Comment

Tyler has been realistic... when it was deserved. Recall the kabillion turnovers in a row vs. MTSU. Tough to find anything positive to say about a game like that. I'd hate for him to become a homer who pretends we're playing well when we're not. Tyler's style is factual. Note that he doesn't refer to the Jacks as "us" or "we" and doesn't criticize the refs. He's reporting on the game. That's how you move up in this business.

It was mentioned that Steve used to practice when he was a kid. Tyler did the same thing. He'd record games on TV and then make his own play-by-play track. He has been at it since he was a kid. He's already very good and he'll only get better, because he works very hard at it.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                              X