• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was that not a slam on Nevills???

Comment

WOW, am i way off? Elam looks a LOT bigger than Sloan

Comment

****ty way to loose. Elam didn’t do anything all match.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
          ****ty way to loose. Elam didn’t do anything all match.
          Yeah that really SUCKED! if Sloan escapes one freaking second sooner in period 2 he wins. Elam took one shot in the sudden victory period and almost gave up a takedown and that was that. really a bummer to see that match come down to the luck of the coin flip

i hope Sloan takes that as motivation going to nationals

Comment

I don't understand the fine points of technique, but why would Sloan choose neutral in the last OT period when he hadn't come that close to a takedown ? Didn't think he could ride out Elam ?

Comment

[QUOTE=bigticket1;n532547]I don't understand the fine points of technique, but why would Sloan choose neutral in the last OT period when he hadn't come that close to a takedown ? Didn't think he could ride out Elam ?[/QUOTE

both times Sloan had the option, he chose down. he chose down in period 2. Elam chose neutral since he had the riding time to tie the score

and after the sudden victory period. Elam won the flip. Elam deferred his choice and Sloan chose down again. since Sloan did not get the escape, elam chose neutral again and all he had to do was avoid the takedown in order to win with his riding time

Comment

i am pretty curious to hear from those of you who watch the wrestling more closely and understand it better, what do you think of the results from the conference tournament? i feel like there are some definite reasons to be excited and happy about the results, but also reasons to be disappointed. is it more one than the other??

do any of the four who have not qualified for nationals have a chance for an at large invite? none of them really did anything impressive to help their case in the conference tourney. which of those performances was most disappointing?

Sloan had a great and dominant run to the final, but the final feels pretty disappointing. i would almost prefer giving up a few more points because you were trying to make something happen as opposed to having such a dominant year and tournament and then losing in the final based on losing a coin flip because you were really really cautious about taking some shots for some takedowns

Swenson really wrestled Franek tough. seemed a little bummer to wrestle the champ so tough and then give up that last take down in the consolation semi to get knocked out of the 3rd place match. all in all, however, a good tournament and excellent season from the freshman

i am trying to remember Devos first round match. i guess second round with the bye but his first match. i know wolf was the higher seed, but if i am remembering correct, i think Devos was ahead in the 3rd period?? yes? no? seemed like he gave up two points late to drop that one. but give him credit for responding to that loss and coming back to get 3rd. disappointing start but overall very good!!

was very nice to get first round wins and one fall out of Jordan and Cardinal but bummer not to get even one more point from either one

it did not feel like Nevills really wrestled particularly well in any of his matches but maybe i have not watched him enough. what has he done against the WVU and UNI guys in the past??

it does not seem like we were realistically gonna catch the 3rd place team, but we had a LOT of avenues to get enough points to finish 4th instead of 6th, for whatever that is worth. definitely a bummer to get passed by the bison at the end((

Comment

125, Tanner Jordan, 6th seed, DNP: Jordan's first two matches went predicatably, though I think he could have done a little better with Surtin, but his loss to Cabanban was not what we were hoping for. He's beaten him in the past and Cabanban is coming off of an injury. I feel comfortable saying that be underperformed here.

133, Derrick Cardinal, unseeded, DNP: Cardinal has great match against Midkiff before getting outmatched against Biscoglia, which is understandable. The loss to Ricks hurt and I think he's better than that. He had a real path to qualifying, but it was a tough one. Overall, I think the win against Midkiff and the loss to Ricks equal out and he did about as well as we could have reasonable expected him to. My prediction here was. . . optimistic.

141, Clay Carlson, 5th seed, 3rd place: I would have loved to see him beat Young, and we know that he can, but wins against Titus and Swederski are of some value. I think he more or less met expectations, I'm not sure he would have done as well without the forfiet that he got from Schwarts.

149, Alek Martin, unseeded, DNP: 0-2 is not a good result and, while a loss to Realbuto makes sense, the loss to Delgado is not a good one, even considering the fact that Delgado wrestled really well this tournament. I'd say he underperformed.

157, Cael Swensen, 4th seed, 5th place: Swensen looked good on the front side and really competed against Franek. He did take an unusual loss to Kraiser on the back side, but Kraiser beat a lot of people that he wasn't supposed to at BIg 12s. I think that Swensen met expectations here.

165, Tanner Cook, 7th seed, 8th place: Cook did not do well here, but he's never going to do well against a field of people who have wrestled him before. I would rather he not lose to Moody and Njienhuis, but that's Cook sometimes. I'd still say that he underperformed here.

174, Cade DeVos, 6th seed, 3rd place: DeVos only lost one match here, but I do think that's better than Wolf and we should expect him to beat him. He did win matches against three tough wrestlers on the backside including a win over Picklo who he had lost to before. Overall, I think he performed as we expected him to taking into account his poor seed.

184, Cade King, 7th seed, 7th place: King ended up with the 7th seed after losing some matches that he probably shouldn't have during the regular season, but I think that we all knew that he was better than that. That said, I think he performed to the level of expectations of the seeders and not the level of expectation of the team and fans. The lose to Blake was a very bad one for him, I also think that he has what it takes to beat Parker. To me, this is a underperformance.

197, Tanner Sloan, 1st seed, 2nd place. Sloan kind of got lucky with how the schedule played out and how that helped him with his seed, but he took that seed and ran with it. He dominated like we've come to expect him to and he proved that he was right there with the best in the country. I think be managed to meet our very high expectations.

285, AJ Nevills, 4 seed, 6th place. I think we'd like to see Nevills put Mora away more efficiently than he did, and I'd hoped that he'd make up some ground on Hendrickson, but the Wolfgram win was a good one. On the back side, the Gordan loss is not one that I'm happy with. I think that he is better than him, but Gordan seems to have his number. I think that this is a slight underperformance.

Overall, two wrestlers beat their seed, two wreslers wrestled to their seeds, and the remaining six wrestled below their seeds. By my evaluation five wrestlers underperformed, while five met expectations. None, to my thinking, performed better than anticipated, though a case could be made for Devos. To be honest, I forgot all about Iowa State when making team predictions, but I think fourth was a reasonable goal and they missed that by quite a bit. I also think that six qualifiers is very bad from this group. If King and/or Jordan get an at-large bid, I think that we enter the "acceptable" range. As a team, I think they did poorly, but maybe that just means that they will be well peaked for nationals. If they don't perform better at nationals, I think it will be reasonable to be pretty frusterated as a fan base.

Comment

Overall, two wrestlers beat their seed, two wreslers wrestled to their seeds, and the remaining six wrestled below their seeds. By my evaluation five wrestlers underperformed, while five met expectations. None, to my thinking, performed better than anticipated, though a case could be made for Devos. To be honest, I forgot all about Iowa State when making team predictions, but I think fourth was a reasonable goal and they missed that by quite a bit. I also think that six qualifiers is very bad from this group. If King and/or Jordan get an at-large bid, I think that we enter the "acceptable" range. As a team, I think they did poorly, but maybe that just means that they will be well peaked for nationals. If they don't perform better at nationals, I think it will be reasonable to be pretty frusterated as a fan base.[/QUOTE]

Well as i have said, i do not follow wrestling super super close and am DEFINITELY NOT any type of expert about our team or the sport!!, but as i recall, we have had some good wrestling teams and individuals, but never been a really dominant program. maybe we were better than i am remembering back in the NCC days???

that said i think the school has made the commitment to make this a top of the line program. as i understand it the new facilities will be top of the line? yes? and overall this program is ascending!! AGAIN i am no expert, but we have at least 4 schools in our conference with a LOT MORE HISTORY of success in this sport!! OSU and ISU have been amongst the top handful of wrestling schools for several decades as far as i know. Missouri has been dominant for over a decade at least, and unless i misremember,NDSU has had a stronger program than we have more often than not since well back in the D2 days. those are just the ones i think i know, but there are probably others in the big 12 too??

that said this program seems to be well on the way to challenging any of those teams on a yearly basis. as fans we want to just be there immediately, but there are disappointments along the way. hopefully, we get maybe one more invited to nationals, but if we have 6 or more than 6 at nationals, hopefully they finish the year with their best matches

Comment

Agree the investment with facilities, coaches salaries, etc mean the expectations have to be top 15 nationally (occasionally top 10) with multiple AA. Not sure how many ncaa teams there are 50-60? Not a Bono fan but he did show what’s possible by rebuilding the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

Overall, two wrestlers beat their seed, two wreslers wrestled to their seeds, and the remaining six wrestled below their seeds. By my evaluation five wrestlers underperformed, while five met expectations. None, to my thinking, performed better than anticipated, though a case could be made for Devos. To be honest, I forgot all about Iowa State when making team predictions, but I think fourth was a reasonable goal and they missed that by quite a bit. I also think that six qualifiers is very bad from this group. If King and/or Jordan get an at-large bid, I think that we enter the "acceptable" range. As a team, I think they did poorly, but maybe that just means that they will be well peaked for nationals. If they don't perform better at nationals, I think it will be reasonable to be pretty frusterated as a fan base.
                        Program is heading in the right direction! Swensen (who is only a freshman) & Sloan both showed they can be wrestling on Saturday night at Nationals & the other 4 qualifiers are also very legitimate threats to AA. As the conference continues to gets deeper every year, the margin for error will get tighter to finish above or at the seeds, doesn't mean the world is falling apart when it doesn't happen. The Big 10 almost always looks like the guys seeding it have never watched a college wrestling match but in reality almost all of the starters on D1 teams are freaks. With kids that talented you could wrestle the tournament 10 times and the outcome, outside of a Spencer Lee/Daton Fix caliber guy, is going to look different all 10 times. I'm pumped for what this team is capable of next week.

Comment

Make it 2 more for the Jacks, Jordan & King are both in

Comment

Originally posted by bennymj171 View Post
                            Make it 2 more for the Jacks, Jordan & King are both in
                            AWESOME!! 8 guys to nationals feels like a pretty good reason to say we have had a successful season

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

AWESOME!! 8 guys to nationals feels like a pretty good reason to say we have had a successful season
                              Been a fun one so far!

Comment

Most qualifiers in program history!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X