West Virginia dual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Virginia dual

Not sure who is all hurt and/or when they are coming back in lineup. The last couple duals at okstate and little rock we had various people in. Rankings via Intermat

125 -#14 Vega vs Joey Thomas
    133 - Price vs Lucas Seibert
    141 - Clay Carlson vs Caleb Rea
    149 - #11 Pohlmeyer vs Liam Lusher
    157- Colten or Peyton Smith vs Alex Hornfeck
    165 - Cook vs Nick Kiussis
    174 - King or Hawkins vs Scott Joll
    184 - #17 Zach Carlson vs Jackson Moomau- Zach won by fall last time they met
    197 #15 Sloan or Hawkins or Forfeit vs #2Noah Adams- not sure if Sloan will be back in lineup for this
    285 - Wolters vs Brandon Ngati - Wolters has lost twice by decisions

I'm actually living in West Virginia at the moment, so I'm super excited for this. This will be the first time that I get to I see the Jacks in person since I moved out here.

Here are my predictions for the dual with some insight:

125. Vega dec. Thomas 3-0 Thomas is a solid 125, but he's pretty conventional and I could see Vega winning a lot of the positions that Thomas isn't used to being contested for him.
    133. Price tech. Seibert 9-0 Seibert is not a good DI starter (though he has improved quite a bit), while I don't think that Price is hugely better, I think that Price will be able to put him on his back and score some cheap points.
    141. Carlson dec. Rea 12-0 This one could go either way. When Rea is at his best, he can beat Carlson, but I don't think that he pulls it off here.
    149. Pohlmeyer tech. Lusher 17-0 Lusher isn't really ready to be in a DI line-up just yet. Hogue could hang with him and keep it to a decision if he's healthy, but Lusher is a space filler.
    157. Hornfeck dec. Carlson 17-3 WVU gets on the board here. Hornfeck has good length and is good on top. He will frustrate Carlson and I think he's better than what we've seen out of Carlson lately.
    165. Kiussis dec Cook 17-6 I think that Tim Flynn is a very good coach and he will have Kiussis ready to wrestle Cook. I think Kiussis will beat him on top and avoid dangerous positions, though Cook tends to surprise people.
    174. Joll dec. King 17-9 Joll hasn't had a lot of success so far this year, but he is very fun to watch. He is a great scrambler and he is brave enough to try some crazy stuff. This will be a close match that could go either way. I'll give it to Joll in a battle of true freshman for the sake of parity.
    184. Carlson pin Moomau 23-9 Moomau has improved a lot from last year, but he still has a long way to go to be able to hang in there with someone like Carlson.
    197. Adams dec. Sloan 23-12 Adams has been on fire this year. I don't think he's significantly better than Sloan, but he has to be the favorite here.
    285. Ngati dec. Wolters 23-15 Ngati is a very good wrestler when he's at his best. He had a great post season last year, but he hasn't been doing as well this year. This should be a close match and I think that Wolters has a shot at an upset, but I have to favor Ngati.

WVU should be favored at 157, 197, and 285. SDSU should be favored at 125, 133, 149, and 184. 141, 165, and 174 could go either way on paper. SDSU should be a strong favorite, but WVU jumped levels late last year and could do it again this year.

Comment

What's the word on Sloan? Is he wrestling this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        What's the word on Sloan? Is he wrestling this weekend?
        Cody discusses Sloan in the video (around 2:00 min mark). Pretty much says it is not serious but doesn't know if he will wrestle this weekend.
        https://www.facebook.com/JackrabbitW...3372431550540/

Comment

No Colten, they are hopeful to get him back by the end of the year, no Sloan against West Virginia, nothing serious with him sounds like a sprain, possibly going against university of Ohio

Comment

Does opponents not scout Cook? He continues to get the same throw match after match. Lol
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I took a second to look back at Wombat’s review of the 165 match and looked back up to find Cook suddenly with an opponent on his back. It’s pretty cool to see 3 straight pins - especially Smith’s with one second left in the match.

Comment

Hey WVU announcers & crowd do your homework. Sloan is injured.
                their crowd booing was the most energetic the crowd has gotten the whole dual.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  Hey WVU announcers & crowd do your homework. Sloan is injured.
                  their crowd booing was the most energetic the crowd has gotten the whole dual.
                  As someone who hasn't missed a WVU home dual all season I can tell you that one of the only reasons casual fans ever take the time to come out is to watch Noah Adams. He's an undefeated native wrestler in a state that has a lot of pride and the lone bright spot in what has been a really rough season. I get not putting Sloan in a position to get injured but the Colosseum had more fans in the stands tonight than I've seen all year and watching a kid from Coal City, WV put it on Kelby Hawkins would have given some of them a reason to come back. I understand the decision, Kelby would have gotten beat pretty bad and there's probably a higher than average chance of injury but we should at least understand why they would be upset by that.

Comment

I'm glad to see Cook making his presence felt in the practice room. Carlson fought of a single with a gator bacon in his match and Smith pinned his opponent in at cement mixer. It's good that Hahn and co are brave enough to let their wrestlers experiment with these risky moves.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post

As someone who hasn't missed a WVU home dual all season I can tell you that one of the only reasons casual fans ever take the time to come out is to watch Noah Adams. He's an undefeated native wrestler in a state that has a lot of pride and the lone bright spot in what has been a really rough season. I get not putting Sloan in a position to get injured but the Colosseum had more fans in the stands tonight than I've seen all year and watching a kid from Coal City, WV put it on Kelby Hawkins would have given some of them a reason to come back. I understand the decision, Kelby would have gotten beat pretty bad and there's probably a higher than average chance of injury but we should at least understand why they would be upset by that.
                      I understand where you are coming from but there is no way Hawkins is wrestling the undefeated #2 197 in the land when Hawkins is a backup 174. If Sloan was not injured at OSU last weekend he would have wrestled no doubt.

Possibly wrestling your duals in a smaller arena could drive attendance. Smaller venue seems to attract more folks.

Comment

Originally posted by opinionsaremyown View Post

I understand where you are coming from but there is no way Hawkins is wrestling the undefeated #2 197 in the land when Hawkins is a backup 174. If Sloan was not injured at OSU last weekend he would have wrestled no doubt.

Possibly wrestling your duals in a smaller arena could drive attendance. Smaller venue seems to attract more folks.
                        I'm not saying that they did the wrong thing, just that is a more significant detriment to WVUs program than people might think and that people have a good reason to be upset. I also don't know for a fact that Hahn and co are unwilling to game the system for the purpose of seeding or tactics in the same way that most other coaches are. They frequently say that March is what matters and that duals are mostly a vehicle to get better seeds at conference.

I'm not exactly in a position to tell them where to wrestle their duals but the parking situation on campus is pretty rough. They are hosting their next dual at the local high school for some reason, perhaps that is the driver.

Comment

I'm not saying that they did the wrong thing, just that is a more significant detriment to WVUs program than people might think and that people have a good reason to be upset. I also don't know for a fact that Hahn and co are unwilling to game the system for the purpose of seeding or tactics in the same way that most other coaches are. They frequently say that March is what matters and that duals are mostly a vehicle to get better seeds at conference.

I'm not exactly in a position to tell them where to wrestle their duals but the parking situation on campus is pretty rough. They are hosting their next dual at the local high school for some reason, perhaps that is the driver.
                          WVU's women's basketball hosts Kansas that day at the same time as the wrestling dual. I guess no one wanted to switch dates or times? SDSU has double-headers of multiple sports with no problems (just look at this next weekend.)
                          Rollin' in my 5.0
                          With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                          Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

... please tell me what Hahn and co had to gain seating wise sitting Sloan? Sloan had absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. He was sat for being injured. WVU is a complete and total rebuild much like we were when bono came. They are lucky to have Adams in the room to build off. I understand the crowd being upset but they have to realize where they are at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KSjack View Post

... please tell me what Hahn and co had to gain seating wise sitting Sloan? Sloan had absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. He was sat for being injured. WVU is a complete and total rebuild much like we were when bono came. They are lucky to have Adams in the room to build off. I understand the crowd being upset but they have to realize where they are at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Keeping Sloan from aggravating a previous injury. Seems like a logical gain to me.

I guess maybe looking at your post that first question you were trying to answer. Not trying to be snarky here, but my post was to answer the first question.

Comment

Working...
                              X