West Virginia dual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KSjack View Post

... please tell me what Hahn and co had to gain seating wise sitting Sloan? Sloan had absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. He was sat for being injured. WVU is a complete and total rebuild much like we were when bono came. They are lucky to have Adams in the room to build off. I understand the crowd being upset but they have to realize where they are at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They had literally nothing to gain from wrestling Sloan. If he lost, even badly, it would have been expected. If he won, If would have been a huge deal for him. He also would have benefited tremendously from getting his hands on an unconventional wrestler like Adams to get a feel for him. I was responding to what I thought was your implied assertion that the coaches would not duck a wrestler, which we don't know to be true yet. Looking back, you had only mentioned it in the context of Sloan, and I do agree that he would have wrestled if healthy.

I am curious what you mean when you say "they have to realize where they are at." Are you saying that, because they are a bad team, they shouldn't be upset about not seeing Adams? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I just don't understand.
    Last edited by TheWombat; 02-15-2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I would trust the coaches’ decision. They aren’t responsible to cater to what the WVU fans/coaches want. They have an obligation to make sure their athlete is well enough to wrestle..end of story. No need to jeopardize March for a dual that was well in hand. In case you forgot, Sloan wrestled on a Jr World Team. He isn’t ducking anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post

They had literally nothing to gain from sitting Sloan. If he lost, even badly, it would have been expected. If he won, If would have been a huge deal for him. He also would have benefited tremendously from getting his hands on an unconventional wrestler like Adams to get a feel for him. I was responding to what I thought was your implied assertion that the coaches would not duck a wrestler, which we don't know to be true yet. Looking back, you had only mentioned it in the context of Sloan, and I do agree that he would have wrestled if healthy.

I am curious what you mean when you say "they have to realize where they are at." Are you saying that, because they are a bad team, they shouldn't be upset about not seeing Adams? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I just don't understand.
        Nothing to gain? I mean he just MFF’d against OSU. It’s not a stretch to say putting him out there against the #2 guy in the country could possibly putting him at risk aggravating his injury. Sure he wrestled Sunday but there is a rather distinct difference between the guy he wrestled Sunday and Adams.

Not only that but it was known well before the match Sloan wasn’t wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post

They had literally nothing to gain from sitting Sloan. If he lost, even badly, it would have been expected. If he won, If would have been a huge deal for him. He also would have benefited tremendously from getting his hands on an unconventional wrestler like Adams to get a feel for him. I was responding to what I thought was your implied assertion that the coaches would not duck a wrestler, which we don't know to be true yet. Looking back, you had only mentioned it in the context of Sloan, and I do agree that he would have wrestled if healthy.

Nothing to gain but health. Kinda a big part at this point in the season when your wrestler has already MFF in a recent match. And then you just repeated me with what Sloan had to gain. And can you sight a time that Hahn has had a wrestler duck? Vegas wrestled every ranked guy same with Henry and Carlson and all our guys. Nobody has ducked ever for SDSU under Hahn and I can’t even remember a time under bono. So why even consider it with a guy who’s recently mff?

And pretty much yes I said they need to realize where they are before booing because they suck. The crowd might have been bigger than the camera showed, I pray to god anyway, but it looked just about empty. How does that look to school officials? And then to boo the opposing team because their injured 197 lber didn’t go out because of said injury. It’s not a good look. Realize where you are and be happy that WVU is continuing to support the program by getting a guy like Flynn and having a guy to cheer for like Adams at this point. Like I said they are in a situation like we were before bono. Take your wins and cheer and only boo at bad antics and the ref!

Comment

Nothing to gain by wrestling Sloan* rather serious typo

Comment

Originally posted by KSjack View Post

Nothing to gain but health. Kinda a big part at this point in the season when your wrestler has already MFF in a recent match. And then you just repeated me with what Sloan had to gain. And can you sight a time that Hahn has had a wrestler duck? Vegas wrestled every ranked guy same with Henry and Carlson and all our guys. Nobody has ducked ever for SDSU under Hahn and I can’t even remember a time under bono. So why even consider it with a guy who’s recently mff?

And pretty much yes I said they need to realize where they are before booing because they suck. The crowd might have been bigger than the camera showed, I pray to god anyway, but it looked just about empty. How does that look to school officials? And then to boo the opposing team because their injured 197 lber didn’t go out because of said injury. It’s not a good look. Realize where you are and be happy that WVU is continuing to support the program by getting a guy like Flynn and having a guy to cheer for like Adams at this point. Like I said they are in a situation like we were before bono. Take your wins and cheer and only boo at bad antics and the ref!

I will reiterate. The SDSU coaches made a perfectly defensible decision, and I am not at all bothered by their having made it. That said, when you forfeit to the best wrestler on the team, people are going to boo. Nobody in Morgantown knows or cares about Tanner Sloan or the health of his knee. They were booing because their favorite wrestler didn't have a match, not because they were anticipating a good match-up with a talented wrestler. I had to explain to WVU fans sitting around me who Sloan was in the same way that I had to explain to SDSU fans around me who every wrestler in the WVU line-up was outside of Adams and Ngati. I still don't understand how it would be more appropriate to boo as a Penn State fan than as a WVU fan, but maybe I'm just not going to. For context, the crowd was about as big as an average SDSU home dual, they way the collesium is set up,the close-up seats are obstructed by the head table, so people don't sit there.

EDIT: I think I've pieced it togeth. Your thought is that, with the team struggling like it is, the administration might not support a team that is fostering a negative base. I can assure you, you don't have to worry about that at WVU. Sportsmanship doesn't mean as much in West Virginia as it does in South Dakota. I could explain it to you, but you really have to see it for yourself to understand.
              Last edited by TheWombat; 02-15-2020, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X