• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFJACK
    replied
    Re: Iowa State Head Coaching Position Open

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
    I guess the question Bono has to bonder is does he want to build his legacy or be just another head coach from Iowa State.
    I'll comb through youtube later and see what videos I can share...Maybe even throw in a little wikipedia.

Leave a comment:

• SFJACK
    replied

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    I guess the question Bono has to bonder is does he want to build his legacy or be just another head coach from Iowa State.

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

Iowa State Wrestling Room.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEs4N4msZ5s

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Originally posted by witness View Post
    Okay. You could have just said that then. Smh
    You need to smh real hard first before posting.

Leave a comment:

• witness
    replied

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    And I'm saying WE have to give Bono a raise by donations.
    Okay. You could have just said that then. Smh

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Yikes. I'm just saying that Sell needs to give Bono a raise otherwise Bono is gone. It's not some ultimatum or anything. Lmao
    And I'm saying WE have to give Bono a raise by donations.

Leave a comment:

• SFJACK
    replied

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    Current wrestling facilities at SDSU are not superior to Iowa State. Honestly, ours are subpar. ISU has a much larger and newer practice room, and dedicated space for a team room as well as a dedicated weight room for wrestling. As someone mentioned above, fast tracking the facility piece at SDSU may be critical to this process.

Other stuff is not equal either. Coaching salary isn't far apart, but I believe budgets for the programs are significantly different. One could argue that recruiting area is stronger there as well - taking into consideration that IA produces more division 1 talent than SD and they can recruit more nationally based on past prestige.
    agree to disagree.

Leave a comment:

• witness
    replied

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Like some kind of ultimatum, huh?
    There’s always more places to put money than there is money in college athletics. It troubles me when some suggest the AD controls a fund that he can just tap into for a pay raise.

SoDakJack is focused.SDSU athletics boosters generally (and probably the die-hard wrestling fansin particular) will have to open up their pocketbooks and pour some money intothe athletic department to so that the AD can offer a raise to Coach Bono.

I hope that happens. He's driven the Jackrabbit name into prominence in relatively short order.
    Yikes. I'm just saying that Sell needs to give Bono a raise otherwise Bono is gone. It's not some ultimatum or anything. Lmao

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Sell better give Bono a pay nice raise

Like some kind of ultimatum, huh?
    There are always more places to put money than there is money in college athletics. It troubles me when some suggest the AD controls a fund that he can just tap into for a pay raise.

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    At some point the boosters have to step up to the plate and help offset pay for our coaches. There is no way that the athletic department can be the only one to fund the salaries that will be required.

SoDakJack is focused.SDSU athletics boosters generally (and probably the die-hard wrestling fans in particular) will have to open up their pocketbooks and pour some money into the athletic department to so that the AD can offer a raise to Coach Bono. As a practical matter, won't the people who donate to athletics be the ones who give the raise?

I hope that happens. He's driven the Jackrabbit name into prominence in relatively short order.

Leave a comment:

• jackrabbit1979
    replied
    Iowa State Head Coaching Position Open

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
    I'm biased with this, but let me just throw some thoughts out. Iowa State isn't the elite landing pad it once was. I believe they haven't sniffed a national championship in almost 30 years. Recruiting in state will be tougher, as you are competing with Iowa and Northern Iowa who currently better programs. $ isn't that far off, the big divide will be multi year contracts. I'm not sure you can throw the mid-major tag out their for SDSU in wrestling. We have superior facilities and everything else vs Iowa State is a tie.

Iowa State is the Noter Dame of wrestling. Their time was in the past.

Again...this is me praying to the 6lb 8oz baby Jesus that we keep Bono.
    Current wrestling facilities at SDSU are not superior to Iowa State. Honestly, ours are subpar. ISU has a much larger and newer practice room, and dedicated space for a team room as well as a dedicated weight room for wrestling. As someone mentioned above, fast tracking the facility piece at SDSU may be critical to this process.

Other stuff is not equal either. Coaching salary isn't far apart, but I believe budgets for the programs are significantly different. One could argue that recruiting area is stronger there as well - taking into consideration that IA produces more division 1 talent than SD and they can recruit more nationally based on past prestige.

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied

Fast tracking the phase of Frost Arena upgrades that includes the new wresting room will be just as important as a salary bump. I'm not sure if Phase I currently includes wrestling or not.

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

At some point the boosters have to step up to the plate ajd help offset pay for our coaches. There is no way that the athletic department can be the only one to fund the salaries that will be required.

Leave a comment:

• witness
    replied

Sell better give Bono a pay nice raise

Leave a comment:

• SFJACK
    replied

I'm biased with this, but let me just throw some thoughts out. Iowa State isn't the elite landing pad it once was. I believe they haven't sniffed a national championship in almost 30 years. Recruiting in state will be tougher, as you are competing with Iowa and Northern Iowa who currently better programs. $ isn't that far off, the big divide will be multi year contracts. I'm not sure you can throw the mid-major tag out their for SDSU in wrestling. We have superior facilities and everything else vs Iowa State is a tie.

Iowa State is the Noter Dame of wrestling. Their time was in the past.

Again...this is me praying to the 6lb 8oz baby Jesus that we keep Bono.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I think you could add equestrian to that list but don't know for sure.

It looks like Justin has been busy. He's had to hire MBB, Baseball, S&D, Tennis, Soccer, Equestrian, Volleyball, Wrestling, Golf and Softball all in the last 3 years or so. That's probably twice as many coaches as he's had to hire in the first 5 years here. That is a lot of information to run through in a short period of time. Of course, now that we are DI, this might be more of the norm.
    I would like to think that its pretty common to have a short list of coaches on a short list or first contacts. considering we had 1 year contracts for ever, that I would like to think the Admin would be able to move quickly and with out much surprise to get a coaching search going.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X