X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jacks sign 2

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    TV just tweeted:

"SDSU wrestling makes official the addition of ex-Big 12 champ David Klingsheim (125) and lands California juco champ Eric Orozco (133)."

That has to be some great news!!!

SUPERBUNNY
    With the addition of the 125 and 133 lbers, where does this leave Pickrel, arguably one of the better wrestlers on the team? Do they move up the ex-Big 12 champ up to 133, do they redshirt the JUCO champ? It seems that SDSU has a lot of wrestlers in the lower weight classes. I am excited about Klingsheim, not just being a suprise Big-12 champ but the fact that he was a 2-time state champ in California is a very very tough task esp. when there is only one class. I do not know much about Orozco other than the fact that graduated from high school in 2004 and went to a construction job. One question is the NJCAA a completely different thing than the CCCAA, and that is why he was a state champ? However, one thing I do know for sure is that the addition of these recruits is that the competition level in the room will be higher and that will improve every single wrestler in the room
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I am really excited to see the moves that Bono is making. Hopefully, these guys turn out well. He is definitely putting a shot into the arm of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
        With the addition of the 125 and 133 lbers, where does this leave Pickrel, arguably one of the better wrestlers on the team? Do they move up the ex-Big 12 champ up to 133, do they redshirt the JUCO champ? It seems that SDSU has a lot of wrestlers in the lower weight classes. I am excited about Klingsheim, not just being a suprise Big-12 champ but the fact that he was a 2-time state champ in California is a very very tough task esp. when there is only one class. I do not know much about Orozco other than the fact that graduated from high school in 2004 and went to a construction job. One question is the NJCAA a completely different thing than the CCCAA, and that is why he was a state champ? However, one thing I do know for sure is that the addition of these recruits is that the competition level in the room will be higher and that will improve every single wrestler in the room
        Bono expects Pickrel to maybe move to 133 and compete there, and if he can win that spot, they would probably redshirt Eric Orozco. One thing is for sure, we have 133 and Hwt competitors this next season, which will be extremely helpful. Bono also has a couple of 125 pounders he is looking at right now in future classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          Bono expects Pickrel to maybe move to 133 and compete there, and if he can win that spot, they would probably redshirt Eric Orozco. One thing is for sure, we have 133 and Hwt competitors this next season, which will be extremely helpful. Bono also has a couple of 125 pounders he is looking at right now in future classes.
          It looks like the Jacks have 2 more wrestlers coming in. Simms sounds like he will come in at 133 but since he is a true freshman, he might not be a threat right away. On the other hand, he might be. It didn't stat the weight of the other wrestler.

That makes 9 new faces for the team. I wonder how many of the current guys on the team will leave. I think there were only a few upperclassmen so I'm assuming that it won't only be a new coach but the team wont have many holdovers. I could be completely wrong but the scholarship money has to come from somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
            It looks like the Jacks have 2 more wrestlers coming in. Simms sounds like he will come in at 133 but since he is a true freshman, he might not be a threat right away. On the other hand, he might be. It didn't stat the weight of the other wrestler.

That makes 9 new faces for the team. I wonder how many of the current guys on the team will leave. I think there were only a few upperclassmen so I'm assuming that it won't only be a new coach but the team wont have many holdovers. I could be completely wrong but the scholarship money has to come from somewhere.
            No you are on the right track IMO, Liles just was not getting it done and with limited resources it made it more of a hill to climb. I just hope we can get the respect and fear of the mighty bison back, then the money will come in. I believe there have been wrestling scholarships started and maintained, as at the endowment banquet, they have often taken up two or more tables. Even if Bono does not work out, which I doubt, there would not be any reason to drop wrestling as a sport. There are people who support and enjoy watching, myself included.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 06-14-2012, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Had a chance to talk to Bono tonight in Sioux Falls at the Legends banquet and shared the excitement that he has brought to the program and the SDSU forum, there were a couple of past wrestlers there and they were excited for the change. BTW, Coach Bono is a real little guy.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                Now it would be fun to have Bono sign an elite SD wrestler and keep 'em in state instead of heading to the big conferences. The next elite on the horizon is Nate Rotert from Spearfish. Rotert, a junior at 195, won his first state title this year. However, he is ranked nationally by InterMat and The Open Mat, and he just won his 2nd consecutive national high school title in Virginia Beach, VA. I have no idea who is recruiting him, but he has to be on the radar of many DI programs.
                Can't hurt that we'll be competing vs. Wyoming in his hometown this coming Winter.

http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=64497&SPID=7136&DB_OEM_ID=1 5000&Q_SEASON=2012

"I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

That is pretty strange. Makes me wonder if they scheduled that with an agenda in mind to land Rotert.

Comment

Lots of Jacks living out in the Hills. We have played baseball out there and had football camps in RC too

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
                      That is pretty strange. Makes me wonder if they scheduled that with an agenda in mind to land Rotert.
                      Some of the best wrestlers in the state live in the hills. Sturgis is really strong every year. I see a benefit to try and gain some fans out there.

Comment

I'm a RCS grad and former state placer in wrestling. Don't have to tell me about the greatness of West River wrestling .

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
                          I'm a RCS grad and former state placer in wrestling. Don't have to tell me about the greatness of West River wrestling .
                          I was just educating the less educated

I was just pointing out that having a match in Spearfish is likely not just to try to get Rotert.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            I was just educating the less educatedI was just pointing out that having a match in Spearfish is likely not just to try to get Rotert.
                            You are right it's not. It's for the Kris Klapprodts, Seth Langes, Josh Keszlers of the world that decided not to go to SDSU.
                            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

In that case, using that logic, they should have a match in Pierre...state champions that return all but two wrestlers...I have talked to the wrestling program at Sturgis on a person to person basis and many think Pierre could break the team points records this year if they qualify 12 again...but that is besides the point. I think alot of the recruits that can get out of South Dakota do because they have the tunnel vision that anywhere but here is better. My friends kid has a couple of soccer scholarships out in south dakota but he isnt satisfied staying here...he is dead set on playing in another state, regardless of if its a step up or a step down in atheltic division...you can't convince high schoolers they are wrong when it comes to this and they will usually do what they believe is more fantastical from their point of view.

Comment

Per Terry Vandrovec via Twitter: "Per his dad, Spearfish senior Nate Rotert - winner of multiple national titles - has given a verbal to wrestle at SDSU. Major get at 197."
                                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
                                X