X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: women need improvement?

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

If you can freeze a player like Robinson, or make her second-guess her first impression of how a play is going to develop, you've neutralized some of the advantages she has.
    So we can officially end this fiasco now and enjoy some pie?

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      So we can officially end this fiasco now and enjoy some pie?

SUPERBUNNY
      The problem is that all the better athletes will take our pie.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

this has to be the biggest thread drift in the history of the this board

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Personally, I think part of the passing problem is that they get a bit lazy, as they get away with those passes against most of the Summit League teams they play exactly because most Summit League teams don't have guards as quick as ORU or most of the (better) NCAA tournament teams.

Half of the passing problem is a catching problem. A team that depends on sound fundamentals as much as the Jacks do should catch the ball better than the Jacks did this year. Several turnovers in the OU games were caused by players trying to make a move before they actually caught the ball. Just like wide receivers taking their eyes off the ball.

Comment

Goes back to athleticism again, quicker players cause mistakes, rushing shots because they close in so much faster, not catching the ball because you are trying to move faster,etc,etc...but for sake of arguement,how are we going to get all these athletic players here to SDSU? We do that by winning & having an attractive program that all these super athletic players want to be a part of.I think we continue to impress many people who see the Jacks play by winning the way coach Coale say's which i agree with,#1 we have five players on the court that can flat out shoot the ball, #2 we have players dedicated to the program enough that they work thier tails off each & every possession.That's a deadly combination no matter what conference you're in....i think was the way she put it.I for one am glad we have that type of player,wether they are athletic enough or not.So, instead of lamenting about how our players aren't athletic enough, why not explore ways to make them better ,to make the team more alluring (sp) to future(hopefully highly athletic) recruits.More pie please!
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-24-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              The problem is that all the better athletes will take our pie.
              That literally made me laugh out loud.

Rep.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

OU played a little quicker overall, but also played a little more under control. We were not sharp with passes maybe because of their quickness. I feel, SDSU if could have played on a neutral court or at home, very well could have won. We got ancy shooting the 3, a few didnt fall so we kind of went away from that. The ESPN commentators mentioned that we went away from the 3. Honestly I think we had a few shots bounce out, they had a few bounce in. They were able to jump a little bit higher maybe but aslong as we got in position to rebound that nulified some of that procieved advantage. I dont think either team was sharp.

Would have could have should have, my point, say we make 1 of the missed 3s, dont make 1 bad pass that turned into 2 points, right there, thats a 5 point change in the game, that spread is very managable and anything can happen then. I did not think Baylor was better then us, and OU was a little better overall.

In the second half, we played a zone, they are not a great shooting team from out, if they cant get the ball in the post down low, or drive, they will struggle, the zone took away those preceived advantges many of you feel they had over us. Let us play a confrence schedule like they do and I feel we would be plenty prepared and able to beat them. beating western Ill and IPFDubya, does not really prepare you the same way playing a big 12 schedule.

I think they won mostly because they played at home, let us play truly neutral court, or play them at home, I give us a 50-75% chance of winning them, only a 25% chance for the away game.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  I did not think Baylor was better then us, and OU was a little better overall.
                  ...agree 100%. I was at both games. 'Till my dieing day I'll say that last years team was better than Baylor (at least on the night we played them). OU, on the other hand, would be more than a handful no matter when or where we played them.
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Here's the deal. I am a fan of both SDSU and Iowa State. For years people have lamented so the so called "lack of athleticism" at both schools. Both Bill Fennelly and AJ are two of the best coaches in this region (I would argue the nation) They do extraordinary things with the players that they bring in. They also are committed to seeing their programs be about bringing out the best in each woman as a player and as a human being. Listen to any of Bill Fennelly's post game lockerroom speeches and you would get that program is about producing winners on the court and in life.

Would it help to have a player or two who is a step quicker? Yes. Would it help to maybe get a bigger body in the post? Sure. Is AJ recruiting the type of players who are about "leaving the program better than you found it"? Most definitely. Would anyone argue that AJ is not putting this program in position to win the Summit League every year? This program has a great trajectory. Think about it: the Oklahoma team that this years Jackrabbits played with, just made the final four.

Comment

If you haven't seen the last Jackrabbit Insider, you should go take a look. AJ defended Macie as being quick enough at point guard. He stated (paraphrasing here) that she got by Robinson as much as Robinson got by her, difference being that OU had a 6'4" post presence that affected how Macie could finish. He also indicated that she was battling foot problems all year, and may need some extensive work done this off season.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Continuing this discussion,I think the overall best physical attribute you can have as a basketball player is cat like quickness.The competition, as well as the physicality of play at the top say 50 teams or so ,mandates that you have to be able to move & move quickly at a higher level of play. If you are 6'2" & think you can shoot over everyone,think again,everyone's as tall as you or taller.
                        Of course ,exceptional teamwork & great passing can overcome some individual shortcommings,but mostly it's one on one a lot of times.
                        Players, who are outstanding shooters,are very valuable to a team also.They force teams out to the perimeter where slower players have a chance to drive to the hoop.
                        Just some thoughts,any one want to add or disagree,hey, that's what discussion is all about i guess.So,what do you think is, singularly, the best physical attribute to have to be a top 50 WBB player?Height, court vision,......other?I will mention that someone like Ashley Eide brings an added quality ,deceptiveness & craftiness . I guess SDSU has many intresting elements to the team, which makes it so much fun to watch & drives the competition crazy at times.
                        Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-02-2010, 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

Comment

Working...
                        X