Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland GDT...

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    I was looking at the stats last night after the game in the student section and the one thing that scares me is our bench scoring. We only scored four points all by Leah. That just isn't good enough. Sure we our deep and athletic and they can offer some minutes, but wow does our offense go down when the starting five are not all out there. Also, if I were an opposing coach and I saw lingle come in I would just leave her open. IMHO, she should have redshirted. She offers good rebounding and defense, but she just isn't there offensively.
    All of that being said, I'm glad we got the win against a good team. I'm also glad the students came out and I heard good comments about how much fun they had. Hopefully they come back.
    Lingle should have redshirted? Some argued the same about Sunnarborg and looks how that is turning out. Be patient...big girls don't become superstars overnight.

AJ's philosophy on redshirting "if they have to redshirt, then they aren't good enough to play for us."

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      Lingle should have redshirted? Some argued the same about Sunnarborg and looks how that is turning out. Be patient...big girls don't become superstars overnight.

AJ's philosophy on redshirting "if they have to redshirt, then they aren't good enough to play for us."
      If the bolded is true, that doesn't bode well for Tara Heiser. Jill Young redshirted, Cala, who else? Have any of our top players redshirted? Either Maria or Ketty?

Redshirting, especially someone going into pharmacy or engineering (both more than average credit majors) can make a lot of sense. I would have benefitted from a redshirt due to an injury, and would have assisted grades. As a swimmer, always cut into both semesters, needed to be great in early Fall semester, because was going to fall off as 6 hours a day went to pool time. And in Spring, had to recover from pool time and travel. Definitely have more travel time now than during the NCC days.

Especially bigs frequently will benefit in beefing up from their growth spurt, will can create some clumsy moves. An extra year, if the team doesn't need that talent for the specific year, can make a world difference.

Comment

Jill, Maria or Ketty did not redshirt. Jill had to sit out because of the whole Creighton to SDSU thing. Cala redshirted mostly because she hadn't regained her strength back from the knee injury. (IIRC)

That being said, having to redshirt and deciding to redshirt because of depth or any other team related reason are two very different things.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

I'm not saying his philosophy is set in stone by any means. I just look at his history of recruiting and redshirting. He rarely utilizes the redshirt option unless there are other circumstances to warrant it. Jill Young had to because she was ineligible because of her transfer from Creighton. Cala Westergard's redshirt was mostly due to injuries.

Maybe a better way of putting it would be, AJ doesn't recruit players thinking "maybe after a redshirt year she will contribute for us."

I would say this year's freshman class might buck the trend a little bit since it was so big. Balancing out classes is important and redshirting Tara would help in doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            I'm not saying his philosophy is set in stone by any means. I just look at his history of recruiting and redshirting. He rarely utilizes the redshirt option unless there are other circumstances to warrant it. Jill Young had to because she was ineligible because of her transfer from Creighton. Cala Westergard's redshirt was mostly due to injuries.

Maybe a better way of putting it would be, AJ doesn't recruit players thinking "maybe after a redshirt year she will contribute for us."

I would say this year's freshman class might buck the trend a little bit since it was so big. Balancing out classes is important and redshirting Tara would help in doing so.
            Keep in mind that Tara was coming of a foot injury that had her in a boot and considering surgery during the spring and summer. I think the injury played a roll.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
            X