Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tickets for USD game

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
    Students have to pay an activity fee. No choice about it. Now they may not get to see certain games for which they (or their parents) have paid for. If tickets are going to be limited for students, then the price of the activity fee should be reduced accordingly.

Student seating should be a priority. They are the future fan base.
    As a former SDSU student I can understand their possible frustration. That being said, their seating is a priority. That is why they can receive free tickets, they just have to get them before the game. Those student fees also allow admission to volleyball, wrestling, and other non-athletic events on campus. The fees allow the opportunity to not have to buy tickets to a game, they don't guarantee admission to a game.

This same argument was made as I came to SDSU when the student seating was changed. We dealt with it and learned that if we wanted to go to a highly attended game that we needed to get off our rears and get in line. As I stated above, I would have loved the chance to get my ticket to an SDSU/USD game well in advance back when I was reading the newspaper during introductions.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Students have to pay an activity fee. No choice about it. Now they may not get to see certain games for which they (or their parents) have paid for. If tickets are going to be limited for students, then the price of the activity fee should be reduced accordingly.

There are over 11,000 students.

There are 6,500 seats in Frost.

Seats are limited for everybody, not just students.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't see the big deal about it. If you know you are going to the game, which most students will be, it's not really that hard to stop over there and grab a ticket during your down time on campus.

Not sure why some students are upset, I think it is a great idea because it allows the school to sell tickets for the ones that aren't claimed by the students. Plus, it's still free so it's not like they are now charging you to go to a game that would usually be free.

Comment

I hate to say this but the students / parents pay for a bunch of activities that students don't attend. As mentioned earlier -- I know plenty of colleges around the country that you may attend and never have the opportunity to attend a BB or FG game. But, you still paid the activity fee.

If the students attended more of the events maybe the athletic department would look at additional seating.

GBGBGJ

Comment

No argument that many of the students attending are a part of your future fan base.

However, if SDSU doesn't collect fees on season tickets and non-student tickets for basketball and football the activity fee GOES UP because that potential income is lost. All other activities associated with the activity fee are not generating income.

I pay a bunch of fees for all sorts of state, federal, and private services. Most of the money generated by those fees isn't coming back to directly benefit me. Or, should I say, I don't see the immediate benefit. Same applies here. Some students who want to attend just this game are likely not going to be able to. In the future, students may have limited access to all games, that will be understood. The activity fee will not be reduced based on this premise.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Somewhere on campus there's a student planning to run for SA President based on what's happening and he or she believes that a change "Can and Must be made so that our students aren't taken advantage of like this"...or something of the like.

All of us that have been there, done that understand the what and the why because it doesn't affect us. Students, not so much.

I still remember students complaining because they had to PAY for tickets to conference and regional basketball tournaments SDSU was hosting. They assumed that since it was in our gym they should get in for free. Silly students.
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Agree with JackMD completely.

Also, went back to the original announcement and it appears to me the only change is that the students have to pick them up in advance. There is nothing in the announcement about limiting the number of student tickets given out:
                "SDSU students are eligible to receive one general admission ticket for the contest and will be required to pick up tickets in advance ...
                Students must present a valid student ID to receive a ticket, which will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis."

As stated earlier, there are more students than seats, so even if they went with the old policy and every student wanted to go and only students were allowed in, almost 50% of the students at SDSU would be denied admission. If you take out the season-ticket holder seats, I would imagine the number would rise to about 75% of the students being denied admission.

And now into reality. Not sure of the break down, but reserved seats are sold out. If there are 2000 reserved seats, that leaves 4500 GA seats, or approximately 2/3 of the students are denied admission no matter what system is used. The fact that they all paid the activity that covers a very wide spectrum of activities, really doesn't play into this very much, if at all.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                  Silly students.
                  +1

I remember being an outraged student. The source really isn't important. It's getting mad about 'the man' that counts.

If 'the students' weren't upset about this, they'd be upset about something else, and so on and so forth.

They could always transfer to the U of M and pay a higher activity fee and then have to shell out $100+ for student season tickets---provided they could get them, as the ratio of seats at the Barn to students enrolled is significantly smaller at the U of M than it is here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                    I hate to say this but the students / parents pay for a bunch of activities that students don't attend. As mentioned earlier -- I know plenty of colleges around the country that you may attend and never have the opportunity to attend a BB or FG game. But, you still paid the activity fee.

If the students attended more of the events maybe the athletic department would look at additional seating.

GBGBGJ
                    Bingo!!! Rep points to you!

Comment

You can't expand Frost.

Or, rather, it would probably cost as much to expand Frost as it would cost to replace it. You'd have to replace all the roof structure, all the support columns--except maybe what's on the north side, new bleachers/permanent seats, new facilities, etc.

Frost seating capacity is only going to go one direction: down.

On the other hand, make sure you take a moment to savor the noise because whatever replaces Frost--whenever it is replaced--won't be that small, intimate, and noisy.

Comment

Frost won't be replaced for many years. It can hold over 6,000 and and as of last year we did not even average 3,000 fans. It does not need to be expanded for one game.

CAS is different. It has 10,000 seats and we averaged 13,000 fans.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                          Frost won't be replaced for many years. It can hold over 6,000 and and as of last year we did not even average 3,000 fans. It does not need to be expanded for one game.

CAS is different. It has 10,000 seats and we averaged 13,000 fans.
                          Exactly! When we bid for a home playoff game CAS capacity is listed at 10,200 actual seats for butts. Add to that the fact that the opposing team is required to locker a block away from the field and you can forget about a home playoff game (unless of course we get one of the top 4 seeds).
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the handful of posts above mine disupte your logic.

Tickets aren't limited for students for the USD game anymore than they are for any other event. The demand for those tickets and the other GA seats in Frost is just greater.
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Sounds like fans won't be the only ones in attendance.
                              From the Brookings Register Sports Twitter page:

Tom Douple and other Summit League top brass will be in attendance for the SDSU-USD women's game in Feb. to get a taste of the ugly rivalry

Comment

Did USD get an alotment of tickets?
                                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                                X