Illinois State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Illinois State

I am not trying to be negative, but I stated after the Gonzaga game, that this team will lose 6-10 games committing as many turnovers as we have. This is not the same team as a year ago. We would most likely be 1-2 with Jenn, Stacey, Ashley, & Morgan if they were freshmen also. It took 4 seasons for the group of seniors that we lost to be that good. We have to be patient, masterpieces do not happen overnight.

Comment

We are still going to win 25 or more games this season. We are young. I don't use that as an excuse, but a fact.

I looked at our minutes played for the season this morning and the distribution of minutes is pretty balanced between each class. If you add up the average minutes played per game by class (for games played in-I realize not every player has played in each game), you get the following:

Seniors: 63.9 minutes
      Juniors: 60.7 minutes
      Sophomores: 47.1 minutes
      Freshmen: 48.3 minutes

That's pretty balanced, and very unusual for most D1 teams. Especially D1 teams as good as we have been and how good we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
        I am not trying to be negative, but I stated after the Gonzaga game, that this team will lose 6-10 games committing as many turnovers as we have. This is not the same team as a year ago. We would most likely be 1-2 with Jenn, Stacey, Ashley, & Morgan if they were freshmen also. It took 4 seasons for the group of seniors that we lost to be that good. We have to be patient, masterpieces do not happen overnight.
        Hey, can't disagree with that assesment. What I do see is a team that is talented, deep, amd young. My belief is that they may be better than last years team by the end of the season. I sure wish the conference was tougher because it is going to be tough to prepare for the quality of teams that they will see in the postseason. There are a couple of quality teams in the Summitt but let's face it, the majority of teams aren't very good.

AJ certainly understands that the 20+ turnovers per game need to come down. With the up tempo style of play that we have it leads to some turnovers so they aren't going to go away.

This team just needs to find its rythum and they will.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

This article in the Argus sums it up pretty well. AJ & the girls know they aren't playing well right now and they have to get it turned around. Jenn Schuttloffel was on the post-game radio interview last night and she said the same thing. She was very too the point and said (paraphrasing), "we aren't playing well right now and we need to get better and take care of the ball better." You could definitely tell she was frustrated as I'm sure the whole team is.

SDSU women lose two straight
          Terry Vandrovec - November 20, 2009

NORMAL, Ill. - You could start with any number of stats - turnovers, free throw, offensive rebounds - to explain why the South Dakota State women's basketball team dropped a 79-67 decision against Illinois State on Thursday night at Redbird Arena.

And that was another problem in itself.

The Jackrabbits just didn't look like themselves - a team that's ranked in the top 35 of both NCAA Division I polls - in dropping a second straight game for the first time in nearly two calendar years.

"We just have to find a way to play better," SDSU coach Aaron Johnston said. "We're just playing really average basketball now against good teams, and that's not a good formula."

The Jacks (1-2) shot well enough to win - 51 percent from the field with 11 3-pointers - but that was about it for the positives.
          They committed 25 turnovers - right in line with their disturbing season average - against a Redbirds team that had been forcing less than half of that, finishing minus-11 in turnover margin.

"We forced 25 turnovers?" ISU forward Ashleen Bracey asked. "Geez."

Forward Kristin Rotert, one of four SDSU players in double figures with 15 points, characterized the ball handling as sloppy, lazy and dumb.

(read more)

Comment

Of course turnovers lost the game but I'm looking at the play at the PF spot. Ketty doesn't really play there but bare with me.
            Between Ketty and Dietel, the points weren't there. They did great in turnovers and the "other" stats aren't bad but if they put up 15-20 points, this would be a good line.
            Minutes- 35
            Rebounds- 5
            Fouls- 4
            POINTS- 1
            Assists- 2
            Turnovers- 2
            Steals- 1
            They are both good players and will be a big part of SDSU's success this year but I'd like to see them be more aggressive.

Comment

Play better defense and in turn rebound better and value every possession. Steals happen, sometimes a pass gets tipped, once in awhile you travel but this team is not playing to its potential on the defensive end. I was so frustrated listening to the second half of that game. Ill. St. is a very good team and they whooped us last night.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Nauseating, that's what that game was.

Not only the poor rebounding and the turnovers, but the free throw shooting. That could come back to bite them more than once this year. Wark was a solid 80% from the line and that loss is going to hurt because Boever has never shot free throws well. And the best FT shooter (Young) is just that, a shooter, she's not going to draw a lot of fouls.

AJ may have to play Boever like Nagy has played AC at the end of close games. Missing front ends of 1-1's in close games hurts badly.

Comment

So now, the question is, how does the team respond to two tough losses the team felt they shoud've won .This is where the mental part of basketball comes into play.SDSU reminds me this year of last years Tenn. team.Last year Tenn. didn't play up to thier potential & had a season low point losing in the first round of the NCAA's.This year Tenn is playing like the Tenn of old.In defense of our team this year, they've had nothing but tough,tough, games in Gonz., ASU, & yes, ILL state is a lot better team than i thought just glancing at the schedule.Very good team.This is a grueling schedule for a young team, but, even with some losses,, we'll be a better team for playing this type of competition.That's why they play the games.Western Kentucky next up.It doesn't get any easier.

Comment

Nagy and Aaron are similiar in that if you make a mistake your coming off the floor. I get it but sometimes like last night it left us very few offensive options and experience on the floor. Obviously it's hard to question the success we have had, but sometimes good proven players need to be able to play through their mistakes and stay on the floor to get in a rhythm. We had the talent to compete and win last night, but the players capable of doing that were many times on the bench because of mistakes with turnovers or missed defensive assignments. We had some odd rotations and substituting patterns that left us shorthanded.

Comment

Last time I checked this is the 2009-2010 season. It's not 2008-2009 anymore. This team is going to be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                        Last time I checked this is the 2009-2010 season. It's not 2008-2009 anymore. This team is going to be fine.
                        Agree. The women will need to pick up the defensive intensity if they want to make the next step. I think they will, good leadership in upper classmen, excellent young players, good balance on offense. Just need to go out and eat some teams up defensively. ASU and Ill. St. are great programs and we played them both in their place. Looking forward to the next contest.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

three games 74 turnovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                            three games 74 turnovers.
                            Something for the team to work on and you bet they are doing just that. It would not surprise me if this total was catogorized somehow and it nails it down to when, who and where the turnovers are being commited, and how to correct them. A good coach like AJ knows how to make corrections and adjustments. They need more time and soon turnovers will be part of the past.

We can never expect any team to pick up exactly where they left off from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Something for the team to work on and you bet they are doing just that. It would not surprise me if this total was catogorized somehow and it nails it down to when, who and where the turnovers are being commited, and how to correct them. A good coach like AJ knows how to make corrections and adjustments. They need more time and soon turnovers will be part of the past.

We can never expect any team to pick up exactly where they left off from last year.
                              Well, where they left off last year was a loss, not to be a gloomy gus. We can expect high standards, that if not being met can be disappointing. If they are giving there best effort, thats all we can ask, but I suspect its not the best effort this team can give. I would be willing to be a betting man that come end of year with confrence tourny and such, this team will be very different how they finish the year compared to how they started. Last year they played at a High level the whole year, this year they will have to build up to that with being a younger team. I have no doubt they will be there where we want them to be come the end of the year.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

turn over by players for the three games.

Ketty 2/3/1= 6 Jennie Sun 2/1/4 = 7 Maria B 2/3/5 = 10 Macie 3/4/2 = 9 Kristen R 4/5/3 =12 Vanessa J 3/0/1 = 4 Jill Y 5/0/4 = 9 Alison A 2/2/0 = 4 Jen Schut 1/0/0 = 1 Leah D 2/4/1 = 7 Steph P 0/1/0 = 1 Cala W 0/1/0 = 1 Ashley E 0/0/2=2

Comment

Working...
                                X