X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League Preseason Poll

They have released the poll here:
    http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewA...LID=204818011#

SDSU received 25 of 27 first place votes and was ranked number one in the conference.

2009-10 PRESEASON POLL VOTING

Rank
    School (First-Place Votes)
    1.South Dakota State (25) 419
    2. Oakland (1) 365
    3. North Dakota State 318
    4. Oral Roberts (1) 289
    5. IPFW 214
    6. IUPUI 212
    7. UMKC 196
    8. Western Illinois 160
    9. Southern Utah 119
    10. Centenary 48

PRESEASON ALL-LEAGUE

Player of the Year
    Chazny Morris, UMKC

First Team
    Inger Hodgson, G, North Dakota State
    Chelsey Jackson, G, IPFW
    Melissa Jeltema, G, Oakland
    Chazny Morris, G, UMKC
    Janae Voelker, G/F, Oral Roberts
    Julia Whitted, C, IUPUI

Second Team
    Maria Boever, F, South Dakota State
    Ketty Cornemann, F, South Dakota State
    Georgia Jones, G, Oral Roberts
    Kristin Rotert, G/F, South Dakota State
    Jill Young, G, South Dakota State

Re: Summit League Preseason Poll

I'm a little suprised that none of the SDSU women made first team. That should be a little incentive for them to prove that they have at least one first team player on the team.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

That is surprising, but yet the second team is all SDSU except one. Hmmm.

I guess the second team all summit is the best team in the summit since we were votd number 1.

Comment

ORU had the #8 seed in the tournament last year!!! Why did they get a first place vote?

Does the ORU beat reporter just vote the ORU ticket all across the board?

Comment

Another year of Julia Witthead! She is a big woman. Don't know if I have ever seen any team have 4 on a pre-season team.

Comment

Ok, after seeing this a second time I think it is a total crock. Julia Whitted is on the first team? I would take any of our players over her any day. She is really slow. It is like watching a video in slow motion watching her play.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              Another year of Julia Witthead! She is a big woman. Don't know if I have ever seen any team have 4 on a pre-season team.
              Tell you what. She didn't look like a first teamer when they played the Jacks, but she hit 1,000 points as a junior, so it's not just what you do at Frost that counts, I guess.

She made Jenn W. look like a kindergartner playing against a JV team though.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                I'm a little suprised that none of the SDSU women made first team. That should be a little incentive for them to prove that they have at least one first team player on the team.
                This matchs in with AJ philosophy of TEAM players. Basically, the other teams ARE that one player and limited supporting staff. When other teams SHUT DOWN that ONE player, the team gets the L. With SDSU, there is no ONE player that you focus on, they WILL ALL nail you.

The Jacks this year will more closely model after the 2007-2008 team than either last year's team, or the Megan led team of 2006-2007. Personally, that could be a really good thing, as have the stealth team. Will Ketty/Maria step to the forefront as leaders, or Kristen or Jill? Somebody different than those four?

The OOC schedule for the women IS a top 25 caliber schedule, and will have the Jacks ready to run the Summit Gauntlet. Nice that snuck OOC game vs USD into Feb. I hope the Yotes are doing to the Great West what Jacks did the preceeding years so that playing a top 100 RPI team in Feb. Oakland, maybe NDSU are only two that MAY possibly be better than 100 coming into Jan conference play.

Comment

There's a sense out there that we don't have great players, we have a great coach and a great system.

It's a crock, of course.

Let them have their first-teamers. I'll take conference titles, conference tourney championships, and NCAA trips. Maybe a few years from now, four or five NCAA trips down the road, the Summit media and SIDs will figure it out.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

In part the absence of any first team selections relates to the votes being split among four SDSU players with no obvious top 1 or 2 SDSU players. In any case it is the end of the season selections that really mean the most.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      Let them have their first-teamers. I'll take conference titles, conference tourney championships, and NCAA trips. Maybe a few years from now, four or five NCAA trips down the road, the Summit media and SIDs will figure it out.
                      Well said JimmyJack

Comment

Rather have the year end awards than the preseason

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                          Ok, after seeing this a second time I think it is a total crock. Julia Whitted is on the first team? I would take any of our players over her any day. She is really slow. It is like watching a video in slow motion watching her play.
                          Certainly do not want to get into name-calling with Ms. Whitted (we all remember what happened when someone did that last season ! ),but she is slow. In the tournament game she often didn't get down the floor before the action was coming back the other way.

Comment

My take on Whitted is that I can see how she would be very hard for many teams in the Summit League to handle. As long as the Jaguars can force you into their kind of game, and force one-on-one matchups on offense and defense with Whitted against smaller opponents in the post, her size can make things tough on many of the Summit League teams.

But, I think that her problem when playing the Jacks is that SDSU doesn't have to play the game the way Whitted and IUPUI wants to play it. Most league teams have not had the ability to consistently go over and around Whitted the way SDSU has been able to do, so perhaps our perception of her effectiveness against the rest of the league is a bit skewed.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              My take on Whitted is that I can see how she would be very hard for many teams in the Summit League to handle. As long as the Jaguars can force you into their kind of game, and force one-on-one matchups on offense and defense with Whitted against smaller opponents in the post, her size can make things tough on many of the Summit League teams.

But, I think that her problem when playing the Jacks is that SDSU doesn't have to play the game the way Whitted and IUPUI wants to play it. Most league teams have not had the ability to consistently go over and around Whitted the way SDSU has been able to do, so perhaps our perception of her effectiveness against the rest of the league is a bit skewed.
                              Was going to say much the same thing....

Except, I don't think it's just that IUPUI can force other teams to play their style of ball, rather, I think the typical style of ball for the typical Summit League team plays right to IUPUI's strengths.

The Summit doesn't seem to be a conference of up-tempo baskets-in-transition teams, and any team that depends on scoring from a half-court set is going to be hard put to it by Whitted.

Comment

Working...
                              X