Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: twitter anyone?

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
    Unless I'm too old and dumb, I'd assume the hometown paper, The Brookings Register, has someone who covers the Jacks. The only complaint I'd have is their site isn't updated much and lacking severely.
    I don't suppose you are too old and dumb, but I can tell you that nobody covers SDSU athletics for the Brookings Register. Last year, Blue Hat Man (some of you will remember him) wrote a column with SDSU tidbits sporadically. Otherwise, they use only the Sports Information articles. I've asked coaches if they have ever met the sports editor (current...they have had many) and none of them had ever talked to him. Pretty sad, but I understand their difficulty as they are an afternoon paper, and the Argus has big coverage with an early morning paper. Still I believe they could do something better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      I don't suppose you are too old and dumb, but I can tell you that nobody covers SDSU athletics for the Brookings Register. Last year, Blue Hat Man (some of you will remember him) wrote a column with SDSU tidbits sporadically. Otherwise, they use only the Sports Information articles. I've asked coaches if they have ever met the sports editor (current...they have had many) and none of them had ever talked to him. Pretty sad, but I understand their difficulty as they are an afternoon paper, and the Argus has big coverage with an early morning paper. Still I believe they could do something better.
      Whoa Whoa Whoa. That is not true in the slightest, I would know since I covered SDSU Women's Basketball while I was working there last November and December. The Brookings Register does use a lot of SID articles when the SDSU teams are out of town, but the Argus does that some times as well.

Regarding the sports editor, Troy is usually at SDSU events taking pictures. There is one full time person in the Register sports department. They rely on the Journalism students at SDSU to help them out.

The Register also covers a ton of local high school teams, but if there is an SDSU home game, they get first priority.

Comment

I see Kristin Rotert, Katie Lingle , & Jill Young are on twitter.Katies only got two followers, i suspect that number will go up when basketball season starts

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
          Whoa Whoa Whoa. That is not true in the slightest, I would know since I covered SDSU Women's Basketball while I was working there last November and December. The Brookings Register does use a lot of SID articles when the SDSU teams are out of town, but the Argus does that some times as well.

Regarding the sports editor, Troy is usually at SDSU events taking pictures. There is one full time person in the Register sports department. They rely on the Journalism students at SDSU to help them out.

The Register also covers a ton of local high school teams, but if there is an SDSU home game, they get first priority.
          Sorry, Mango, but I stand by my post. I recognize they have game stories, but outside of BHM's tidbit column, show me any stories that originated from before games with entrepreneurial reporting in the last bunch of years. I am not exactly knocking the staff, since I know staffing is thin. But it is a pretty poor product for a Division I University town IMO. I don't see a single poster ever getting on line with a link to a Register story in comparison to the Argus Leader when it comes to sports information.

Comment

Sorry, Mango, but I stand by my post. I recognize they have game stories, but outside of BHM's tidbit column, show me any stories that originated from before games with entrepreneurial reporting in the last bunch of years. I am not exactly knocking the staff, since I know staffing is thin. But it is a pretty poor product for a Division I University town IMO. I don't see a single poster ever getting on line with a link to a Register story in comparison to the Argus Leader when it comes to sports information.
            In all fairness, the Argus does get a jump on those items being a morning paper versus the Register in the afternoon. Also, it has a lot more exposure for people on here bacuase the posters are from everywhere. Shoot, you know that because newspapers were your business.

I do agree with you that the Register needs to step it up a bit. My hope is that the relationship between the two gets stronger and we see that happen.

BTW-I am a Register subscriber and get the Argus at work so I see them both everyday.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

For the record, I think the Register does a good job in covering the local events and that is also important to me.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I get the Register E-Edition, just as I do the Argus E-Edition, subscribing to both. This whole thing started when Sideline Observer, figured the Register had a "beat reporter" assigned to SDSU. Again, they don't and that's what I said. That's not a big knock on them...they just don't have the staff...but do use some SDSU students (although I think they could do that more and better...but that's just my opinion). I mentioned in my first post that the Register is at a disadvantage as an afternoon paper. I still believe there are some things they could do to offset that. Said enough...my last post on this issue.

Comment

What irked me was you saying that no one covers SDSU athletics.

Another disadvantage that the Register has is that they use students to cover SDSU athletics instead of a fulltime beat reporter.

Comment

Working...
                  X