March Madness Articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Madness Articles

There's going to be a lot of articles and exposure for SDSU's Women's team in the next couple weeks so I figured I'd start a thread to collect them all.

So far this season the women have gotten exposure in the USA Today and New York Times and have been all over the ESPN Women's Basketball Page.

This article was in the Minneapolis Star Tribune Today.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...7PQLanchO7DiUr

Re: March Madness Articles

Mitchell Daily Republic

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/arti...7&section=News
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Here's the ESPN article with a video highlight of the Championship win over Oakland.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=290692571

Comment

MEN: N. DAKOTA ST. 66, OAKLAND 64 | WOMEN: S. DAKOTA ST. 79, OAKLAND 69

Oakland men, women fail to gain NCAA berth

Both blow big leads

BY TERRY VANDROVEC • FREE PRESS SPECIAL WRITER • March 11, 2009 SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- Two 14-point leads yielded zero NCAA Division I tournament bids for Oakland's basketball programs.

Talk about a tough Tuesday at the Sioux Falls Arena.
        First, the Golden Grizzlies dropped a 79-69 decision against 17th-ranked South Dakota State in the championship game of the Summit League women's tournament before a partisan crowd of 5,580. In a matter of 21 minutes, a 14-point lead became a 13-point deficit.
        About 4 hours later, the Oakland men dropped a 66-64 decision to top-seeded North Dakota State -- their second heartbreaking loss in the Summit League final in five years.
        The Golden Grizzlies (22-12) led by 14 in the first half and by 12 with 9 remaining, but Bison guard Ben Woodside -- the conference player of the year -- hit an 18-foot jumper with 4 seconds remaining to break a 64-all tie, and a 30-foot heave by Oakland junior Johnathon Jones bounced off the inside of the rim at the buzzer.
        "We dominated the game for 35 minutes," Golden Grizzlies coach Greg Kampe said, "but we didn't win."
        He attributed that to youthful mistakes in the closing minutes. After leading by five with less than 5 minutes remaining, Oakland committed two turnovers and went 0-for-2 from the free-throw line. The Bison (26-6) ended the game on an 11-2 run to steal an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament in their first year of eligibility.
        "We just didn't step up and make shots when it mattered the most," said guard Erik Kangas, one of four Oakland players in double figures with 16 points.
        Sophomore Michael Tveidt -- a South Dakota native -- led NDSU with 21 points.
        As for the Oakland women, they put together an 11-0 run and hit all five attempts from three-point range in building a 39-29 halftime lead. Senior Jessica Pike scored 20 points in that span, but added only two the rest of the way -- indicative of the way the second half went for the Golden Grizzlies.
        They'll now await word from the WNIT -- they locked up an automatic bid to that event since SDSU won both the regular-season and tournament titles.
        "I felt like halftime, unfortunately, took away the momentum," Oakland coach Beckie Francis said. "Our team was so focused. I wasn't doing a thing; they were just out there. I've never seen Jessica Pike that focused. But I was nervous. I saw it in their eyes. They let up, and you can't let up against South Dakota State. I could feel it. We weren't ready for that punch."

Detroit Free Press

Comment

To all the fans of SDSU and the friends I have made on this board, my sincereist congratulations on your womens basketball team and all their accomplishments.

I wish you the best as March Madness sets in, and hope that you go as far as possible. Again, congrats to all. What a fantastic accomplishment.

Good luck.

YFE

Comment

www.theoaklandpress.com click on local sports

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
              To all the fans of SDSU and the friends I have made on this board, my sincereist congratulations on your womens basketball team and all their accomplishments.

I wish you the best as March Madness sets in, and hope that you go as far as possible. Again, congrats to all. What a fantastic accomplishment.

Good luck.

YFE
              Count me as one SDSU fan who looks forward to adding USD to the Summit League mix.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

In the hard copy of the Detroit Free Press there was a good long article on the game, albiet from the Oakland perspective, may or maynot have been written by our man Terry V. It was seperate from the mens game article and was with that article on the Sports Section first page.

Comment

maybe a good thread to sticky?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                    Here's the ESPN article with a video highlight of the Championship win over Oakland.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=290692571
                    Speaking of video I'd like to find a copy of the game on DVD or VHS if anyone has i recoreded PM me. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Ditto that.

Comment

Originally posted by NDSUstudent View Post
                        maybe a good thread to sticky?
                        Good suggestion! Stuck!

Comment

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...g.031109.0860/

Article about NDSU, but it mentions the ladies near the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Vicks Dead PitBulls View Post
                            http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...g.031109.0860/

Article about NDSU, but it mentions the ladies near the end.
                            Isn't the plural of bison actually just bison? I've never seen or heard "bisons" before.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Get this:

http://www.hardingsports.com/

Their team is the 'bisons'

And no, that's not 'correct'. Bison doesn't have a plural case.

Comment

Working...
                              X