New York Times Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Times Story

AJ spoke at the SE Staters Club Luncheon today and mentioned that a reporter from the New York Times will be doing a story on SDSU and will be at the SDSU/NDSU women's game Saturday night!!

He/She's got nothing on you Terry V.!!

I thought maybe JJ could fill us in on how big or not so big of a deal this is?? Sorry to call you out JJ, but I think your expertise is needed here.

Pretty cool stuff if you ask me!!

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Re: New York Times Story

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    AJ spoke at the SE Staters Club Luncheon today and mentioned that a reporter from the New York Times will be doing a story on SDSU and will be at the SDSU/NDSU women's game Saturday night!!

He/She's got nothing on you Terry V.!!

I thought maybe JJ could fill us in on how big or not so big of a deal this is?? Sorry to call you out JJ, but I think your expertise is needed here.

Pretty cool stuff if you ask me!!

Go Jacks!!
    Hope he/she finds his/her way there without a hitch. NY Times once described Sioux Falls as nestled in the foothills of the Black Hills. True story.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksbacker View Post
      Hope he/she finds his/her way there without a hitch. NY Times once described Sioux Falls as nestled in the foothills of the Black Hills. True story.
      Well, from a vantage point at the corner of 41st & 8th in midtown Manhattan, that's probably how it looks

Comment

The New York Times actually has staff writers left after all the layoffs?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          Well, from a vantage point at the corner of 41st & 8th in midtown Manhattan, that's probably how it looks
          Everything is nestled in Flyover Country. Definite rep points on that one.

Comment

Actually the writer of this story is a Minneapolis-based stringer, so he should know where Sioux Falls is at and get to Brookings fairly easily! You can bet that a story in the Times is pretty big in being noticed by a lot of the top sports reporters around the country (and maybe who are AP Poll voters!). It surely won't hurt!!!

Comment

east coast coverage , great, let's really wow em with a big win against NDSU.I really get the sense that everyone really wants a Cinderella team to root for in this years NCAA tournement.Anyone else feel this way?
              Even some yotes wishing the team well,what's the world coming to?

Comment

Originally posted by shinman View Post
                I really get the sense that everyone really wants a Cinderella team to root for in this years NCAA tournement.
                I don't think that's us. I'm not saying that this is what you're saying, but I think we've proven our worth.

To me, the Cinderella team is the long-shot underdog. David knocking off the Goliaths. A 13 or 14 seed. I think the fact we've earned national respect and expectations take us out of the Cinderella picture. Especially if we're a top-10 seed. IMO Cinderella can't be a top-10 seed.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I think it would be considered a cinderella ONLY for the fact that we are relatively new to the national scene. The midwest is well aware of what SDSU has done since going D1, but this is the first year people all over the country know.

Sometimes people feel cinderella means the run will only last one year (George Mason men's team). And they feel it takes away from the history of the team/program. That will clearly not be the case for the Jackrabbits as they are built for many post seasons in the future.

Comment

We know who Cinderella is, but what is a Cinderella???...I was curious, so I thought y'all might be too! To consider the source...Wikipedia.

The title character[2] is a young woman living in unfortunate circumstances which suddenly change to remarkable fortune.
                    The word "cinderella" has, by analogy, come to mean one whose attributes are unrecognised, or one who unexpectedly achieves recognition or success after a period of obscurity and neglect.

Have to agree with 'jacksfaninne', that is not us. Others (media, fans, teams) have always been complimentary towards the women's team, however we have not been to the 'ball', or should I say 'big dance'...yet!

One other tidbit I found 'researching' Cinderella (Yes, it's a slow day at the office!)

Moral: Beauty is a treasure, but graciousness is priceless. Without it nothing is possible; with it, one can do anything.[10]

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitears View Post
                      We know who Cinderella is, but what is a Cinderella???...I was curious, so I thought y'all might be too! To consider the source...Wikipedia.

The title character[2] is a young woman living in unfortunate circumstances which suddenly change to remarkable fortune.
                      The word "cinderella" has, by analogy, come to mean one whose attributes are unrecognised, or one who unexpectedly achieves recognition or success after a period of obscurity and neglect.

Have to agree with 'jacksfaninne', that is not us. Others (media, fans, teams) have always been complimentary towards the women's team, however we have not been to the 'ball', or should I say 'big dance'...yet!

One other tidbit I found 'researching' Cinderella (Yes, it's a slow day at the office!)

Moral: Beauty is a treasure, but graciousness is priceless. Without it nothing is possible; with it, one can do anything.[10]
                      By definition the Jackrabbits have been obscure to D-I basketball, and our time in D-II didn't help our D-I standing. Further, in the Basketball, the "cinderella" is from a non-Big 6 conference, that breaks through at the Dance. Marist was a cinderella last year, and I believe they were a home seed for the 1st round (ie 8 or below seed). Didn't they make the Sweet 16 last year?

Comment

Let's face it, if we are fortunate enough to make it to the Sweet 16 we will be wearing Cinderella's slipper if the media has anything to say about it. As much as we don't think we fit that title, that is the way it is going to be.

Comment

Cinderella or not, any school making the NCAA tournament in basketball (women's or men's) in their very first year of eligibility is a Big Story, and will be covered as such.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            Cinderella or not, any school making the NCAA tournament in basketball (women's or men's) in their very first year of eligibility is a Big Story, and will be covered as such.
                            Agreed, especially since our women's BB team has led the nation in team GPA the last 3 seasons. That's quite a story!

Comment

Look as far as I'm concerned, we will always be the David in the NCAA tourney. We will also always be the Cinderella. In men's BB, Gonzaga is still the David fighting against the Goliath's and they have plenty of notches in their belts. It is all about the little guy defeating the big guy. Cinderella turning into a princess and then when they lose, the hour will turn 12 o'clock midnight and the glass slipper will come off and we will return to being Cinderella.

This whole thing got me thinking that someone should award a trophy to the best mid-major team of the year. For the men, they could award the David trophy and make it resemble the statue of David. This award would go the the men's team that slayed the biggest opponent or made it the furthest in post season. It could be voted on. Last year Davidson probably would have won or Fresno St. in baseball and maybe this year you look at Utah and what they did in football.

For the women's teams you could give a trophy with a glass slipper and it would go to the team that went the furthest in post season. Marist probably would have won last year. If ESPN picked up on it, they could make it a part of the ESPY awards.

OK, sorry for the thread drift, I got carried away their for a moment.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Working...
                              X