2008-2009 Tournament Seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008-2009 Tournament Seed

Hello jacks fans, I was bored this morning so I decided to dissect the 2007-2008 women’s bracket and correlate it to this year. First, all of my info came from realtimerpi.com, so take it for what it’s worth. I tried to find teams that looked they would have similar records to SDSU’s(especially dominating a mid-major conference) and compare them. A quality win: beat a team with an RPI < 100. Bad Loss: >100. Here we go:
    South Dakota State University –Summit League (2007-2008)
    Record: 22-6(16-2), RPI: 60, SOS: 215, Quality wins: 1, Bad Losses: 3, NCAA Seed: NA
    Liberty Flames-Big South
    Record: 26-3(13-1), RPI: 21, SOS: 120, Quality Wins: 7, Bad Losses: 1, NCAA Seed: 12
    Chattanooga Mocs-Southern
    Record: 29-3(21-0), RPI: 23, SOS: 126, Quality Wins: 9, Bad Losses: 1, NCAA Seed: 12
    Hartford Hawks- America East
    Record: 27-5(17-2), RPI: 44, SOS: 182, Quality Wins: 5(beat rpi 19 virginia), Bad Losses: 3, NCAA Seed: 10
    Marist Red Foxes-Metro Atlantic
    Record: 31-2(21-0), RPI: 26, SOS: 150, Quality Wins: 8, Bad Losses: 0, NCAA Seed: 7
    Wyoming Cowboys-Mountain West
    Record: 22-6(12-5), RPI: 32, SOS: 91, Quality Wins: 9(beat rpi 24 kansas st.) Bad Losses: 1 NCAA Seed: 11
    *At large seed, lost to San Diego State*
    Gonzaga Bulldogs- West Coast
    Record: 24-8(15-2), RPI: 31, SOS: 78, Quality Wins: 2, Bad Losses: 4, NCAA Seed: NONE
    *Lost to San Diego, DID NOT RECEIVE AN AT LARGE!*
    South Dakota State: 2008 So far:
    Record: 12-1(2-0), RPI: 13, SOS: 35, Quality Wins: 6, Bad Losses: 0, NCAA Seed:????
    Some Observations:
    From looking at this data, if we run the table with only 1 loss, I think our seed should be between a 7-12. I am leaning somewhere in the middle around a 10 seed. Our SOS is going to dip around 120ish with all of our weak conference opponents and cant’ afford to lose any of them really if we want a 10 seed or better. If we would happen to lose in the conference tourney( knock on wood) it’s not a guarantee that we will get in, just look at Gonzaga last year. Hopefully we wouldn’t have 4 bad losses, but never put it in someone else’s hands!
    Happy Holidays!

Re: 2008-2009 Tournament Seed

Nice work ToeJam!

I'm looking at Marist last year...I think if the Ladies can go through the season with one loss a 7 or 8 seed is in reach.

If they drop one during the conference season...I would say a 10 or 11 seed with winning the Summitt League

Two losses with one of them being in the Summit League Tourney, Still get an at-large with a 10 or 11 seed.

Three losses with one being during conference play and one in conference tourney...I think we get left out.

IMO, if it comes down to the SDSU Women needing to win the Summit League Tourney to get in...the rest of the Summit teams in the field better be ready for a class 1-A a$$-whoppin' in SF from some angry Jackrabbits!!

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Lets just give them a #1 seed..... If they win out I would guess around a 10 seed.... they loose 1-2 and win the conference tournament expect a 13-14 seed... They win out and loose in the conference tournament expect a 12-14 seed..... they loose 1-2 and loose in the conference tournament expect a 14-15 seed or a WNIT ticket..... with the week conference schedule and little to no name recognition on the committee they need to win out if they want a decent seed.....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        Lets just give them a #1 seed..... If they win out I would guess around a 10 seed.... they loose 1-2 and win the conference tournament expect a 13-14 seed... They win out and loose in the conference tournament expect a 12-14 seed..... they loose 1-2 and loose in the conference tournament expect a 14-15 seed or a WNIT ticket..... with the week conference schedule and little to no name recognition on the committee they need to win out if they want a decent seed.....

Tell me then...how do you explain Marist's #7 seed last year with two losses?
        I'm not going to take the time to look up Marist's OOC schedule from last year, but I'd be surprised if it was as good as SDSU's this year.

Who knows...you're maybe right that if SDSU win's out maybe they do get the #10 seed, but getting a 7 or 8 isn't out of the question IMO and doesn't mean anyone on this board thinks they're deserving of a #1 seed....that would be moronic.

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
          Tell me then...how do you explain Marist's #7 seed last year with two losses?
          I'm not going to take the time to look up Marist's OOC schedule from last year, but I'd be surprised if it was as good as SDSU's this year.

Who knows...you're maybe right that if SDSU win's out maybe they do get the #10 seed, but getting a 7 or 8 isn't out of the question IMO and doesn't mean anyone on this board thinks they're deserving of a #1 seed....that would be moronic.

Go Jacks!!
          I think you're seeing the dreaded East Coast Bias at work.

Marist's 2007-08 OOC/early season schedule:
          11-11-07 2 p.m. at Ohio State 57-63 L
          11/14/07 7:00 PM at Fordham W 75-55
          11/16/07 7:05 pm at Stony Brook W 65-54
          11/18/07 2:00 PM at Dartmouth W 71-35
          11/22/07 2:30 pm vs UTAH WOT 70-66
          11/23/07 2:30 pm vs Nebraska W 66-59
          11/24/07 12:00 pm vs Eastern Washington W 74-50
          11-29-07 7:30 p.m. YALE W 77-62
          12/1/07 2:00 p.m. BUCKNELL W 68-56
          12/7/07 7:30 p.m. * IONA W 81-55
          12/09/07 1pm * at Fairfield W 55-44
          12/12/07 7:30 p.m. HARTFORD 32-49 L
          12/22/07 2:00 pm at ALBANY W 75-71
          12/30/07 2 p.m. at AKRON W 76-62
          1/5/08 7:30 P.M. * FAIRFIELD W 73-43

Not nearly as strong as SDSU's 2008-09 OOC schedule, IMHO.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Considering we have about 20 games to go, I think we may be jumping the gun a bit here. Nothing wrong with talking about it, but I don't see the need to put any more pressure on the team than they are already facing. We need to be focused on the upcoming conference schedule, not possibilities 3 months down the road.

One game at a time....

Either way, great research Toe Jam!

Comment

we'd be better off being a 10-13 seed than a 8 or 9, that way we won't have to play a #1 seed in the 2nd round. If we win out---we'll be a top 15 team and probably a 6 or 7 seed

Comment

Let's not get greedy.

I'll settle for being in the tournament.

Besides, if we're in at #16, all that means is a chance to upset a #1! Wouldn't THAT be cool?
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't think you can just be happy about making it. The women have a great team (will more than likely win 30+ games) need to take this opportunity and win 1 or 2 or even more games in the tourney. Don't kid yourself, the women are probably one of the best 15 teams in the country and need to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
                    I don't think you can just be happy about making it. The women have a great team (will more than likely win 30+ games) need to take this opportunity and win 1 or 2 or even more games in the tourney. Don't kid yourself, the women are probably one of the best 15 teams in the country and need to prove it.
                    I know . . . I'm just trying to do the Internet equivalent of knocking on wood . . . I don't want to jinx us . . . not that I'm superstitious or anything . . .
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotarabbit View Post
                      we'd be better off being a 10-13 seed than a 8 or 9, that way we won't have to play a #1 seed in the 2nd round. If we win out---we'll be a top 15 team and probably a 6 or 7 seed
                      Huh? There are 64 teams in the tournament. The 8th seed would only play the 1 seed if both got to the elite (4th round). 64-32-16-8

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
                        Huh? There are 64 teams in the tournament. The 8th seed would only play the 1 seed if both got to the elite (4th round). 64-32-16-8
                        There are four brackets, the seeds are 1-16. So all of the #1 seeds can make the final four.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
                          Duh. Forgot that there are 4 regions with 16 teams. Never mind......I admit Im a dumb.ss.

Comment

don't you keep your regional seed for the entire region tourney ,i don't think they re-seed( not recede as in a hairline)after each round played, that's why they sometimes say they,ll have say a # 10 seed reach the third round 1st time ever or such....just an example

Comment

lowest seed #1 would always get to play the highest surving seed, if #1 seed is upset , & # 2 seed is the lowest surving seed , # 2 seed would be the lowest seed & get to play the highest suriving seed, & so on, lowest seeds supposedly have the easiest path to the final four.....i think

Comment

Working...
                              X