Wisconsin Game Thread & Info!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Game Thread & Info!

Impressive defensive performance. Really makes a statement when you beat a Big 10 team with some serious rep in that conference by 20 points. Blew them out, nice.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Official attendance: 2,812...did I get that right? TM thought it was more.

I was there, it seemed like more, but I didn't have time to count.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I agree it was more that 2800.

This just in, Maria won the cage match tonight. Boy, she took some hits tonight. She is a tough player.

Outside shooting was good tonight. Defensive rebounds were so one-sided in the first half (Jacks had 1 Off. Reb. in the first half---because they only missed 6 shots). Very good defense. Only bad point, free throw shooting.
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
          I agree it was more that 2800.

This just in, Maria won the cage match tonight. Boy, she took some hits tonight. She is a tough player.

Outside shooting was good tonight. Defensive rebounds were so one-sided in the first half (Jacks had 1 Off. Reb. in the first half---because they only missed 6 shots). Very good defense. Only bad point, free throw shooting.
          Don't forget turnovers. Too many bad passes and travels.
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

2800 may be a little disapointing, but for a Monday night, maybe it's not too bad. On a side note: I watched a little bit of the Kansas St. at Northwestern women's game on the BT network tonight. Counting the players, coaches, and band, I bet there wasn't 280 people in that gym. I would think attendance would help a little bit as far as recruiting is concerned - or am I wrong? Either way, beating a Big 12 and Big 10 team back to back is a nice way to start the season.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Official attendance: 2,812...did I get that right? TM thought it was more.
              Thought it was way more than that, I agree with Tyler at about 4,000

Comment

Great first half, uglier second half but still a good win. Macie and Stacie hit some huge buckets to give us some momentum. Talking with coach Stone at shoot-around this afternoon, she was nothing but complementary about SDSU. It sure looked like more than 3500 easily, but I guess not. FYI for those that catch one of them balls thrown by the players after a win. Use them, they are good for 30% off at the book store. 30% off at the book store is a decent amount even with the markup of items there. I might use mine to buy books in january haha.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                  Thought it was way more than that, I agree with Tyler at about 4,000
                  Since the large, end zone bleachers weren't pulled out, it seems unlikely that there were 4,000 people there. Remember the WNIT games a couple years back. With those out and with people literally crammed together in the other upper bleachers, we got more than 6,000 in there. Take away those two large sections, loosen up the people in the top bleachers, and 2,800 seems about right. As I recall, the PA announcer at the WNIT game had to ask people to squish together to make more room. The were packed in a little more loosely last night.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

What a fun game last night. A great 20 point win over a quality, big-conference opponent. The scary thing is that it could have been a whole lot more. The Jacks had a lot of turnovers, missed a number of easy shots around the bucket, and missed a ton of free throws. Warkenthien had an uncharacteristic game where she struggled. You don't see that happen often. Even with all that, the defensive intensity was enough to DOMINATE the game.

We just had too many players coming at them and the pressure was relentless. That is the recipe for wins for this team. The contributions can come from any of the players that are out on the floor.

Was anyone else not very impressed with Wisconsin. Supposedly, they are an okay Big 10 team but other than the 8 point run to start the game the Jacks were very clearly the better team on the floor. It could be different in their building but they just didn't impress me. They were a very poor shooting team from the field and the stripe.

Can't wait for Thursday! The Utah game will be a big test for us and we will have to cut down the mistakes to beat them.

Keep it up ladies!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I wasn't impressed with Wisconsin. But they are picked to finish 10th in the 11-team Big Ten. I'm willing to bet they aren't going to win many games this year which won't help our RPI.

Comment

I think they will be down this year. At least they had the guts to come to Frost Arena for a game.

Comment

Story from the Wisconsin State Journal:

Wisconsin Badgers women's basketball: Badgers ice-cold in opener
                          State Journal staff, wires

BROOKINGS, S.D. — A look at the stat sheet provides a clear view of how the Wisconsin Badgers women's basketball team fared in its non-conference season opener Monday night.

The Badgers had a turnover-to-assist ratio of 23-to-5, missed 10 of 15 free throws and allowed its opponent to shoot 72.3 percent from the field in the first half.
                          The result was a 64-44 loss to South Dakota State before 2,812 spectators at Frost Arena in Brookings, S.D.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/314836
                          “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

Made it up for the game and have to agree there seemed to be a bit more than 2800 folks there, considering the attendence for the Men's game against SJSU was 2400 last Friday night, and there seemed like at least 1000 more there last night.

Anyway, the women played GREAT in the first half...very fun to watch, albeit the first couple minutes worried me a bit. 20-2 runs always help though!!
                            And to beat any Big 10 team by 20 points in a game that easily could've been a 30 point beating, was very impressive.

I agree with SB, that Winconsin is NOT a good team, but our defense made them look pretty bad also.
                            There was obviously a Summit League refereeing crew doing the game, due to the fact the EVERY hand check and away from the ball foul was called on both teams. God, that stuff kills the flow of a game and makes it sooo hard to watch for fans.

I have a feeling that Thursday night when the Running Utes come to Frost, we are going to be a MUCH different team on the floor in Red and White. Our Ladies are going to need to put together two really good halves of basketball to get this win! Can't wait to see it!!

Go Jacks!!
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              I wasn't impressed with Wisconsin. But they are picked to finish 10th in the 11-team Big Ten. I'm willing to bet they aren't going to win many games this year which won't help our RPI.
                              Being a Big 10 team, by their conference strength, even the last place team will likely be about 150.

Where our RPI will tank, is playing in the Summit. Only Oakland has a realistic chance vs Jacks this year, as they return their starting 5 from last year.

Re-reading TV 1-2-3 article, "By comparison, the other nine teams in the Summit League will host a total of six such games." (Against teams in FBS conferences, or major conferences).

Jacks will face 10 teams that went post-season last year. Wisconsin (win), Utah, Oregon, Maryland, Illinois, Montana, Gonzaga, Oral Roberts, Mizzou,

I suspect that those 10 is likely to be 3X any of the other Summit teams, and with at least four at Frost, more than double the #2 hosting Summit team will achieve.

Thursday Night for UTAH. If Jacks are looking to make a push into the March Madness, the UTES are the type of team that they'll need to be able to beat to make the 2nd round if not the sweet 16.

Comment

I didn't realize that was the opener for Wisconsin. Geez, what a place to schedule your first game of the season. I'll bet the schedule a few bunnies not Jackrabbits to start the schedule next year.

I'm sure they will improve but I just didn't see the talent there. Size yes. Talent and skill was lacking.

The Utes will be much tougher contest.

We struggled in second half but my bet is most of us would have said lets post a 20 point win and walk away. It could have been 30+ quite easy.

Good crowd that was into the game.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X