Wyoming- Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wyoming- Game Thread

I just wanted to drop a note and say THANK YOU ladies, coaches and administration for giving us one of the greatest season's ever at SDSU and South Dakota in general.  This was not only important to the fans of SDSU, but also important to a state like South Dakota that sometimes gets talked into thinking that, "we're just not good enough to compete with the best".  Well...at least for a 5 month period the SDSU Jackrabbit women's Basketball team has taken that mindset and choked the life out of it for a lot of people!!
    When we all look back 10 to 20 years from now, I know that I will remember that this team made the transition at SDSU from DI to DII a blast, when it could've been just the opposite.  For most programs it would've been hell.
    So, thank you from myself, my family and all the State of South Dakota, this is a team we can all be proud of and allows South Dakotan's to say, "we can take on the best at anything we do and come out on top".  This state has been waiting a long, long time for a team like the 2006-2007 SDSU Women's basketball team and THAT is how important you are to everyone!!

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1175005669]This Thread[/link]
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Wyoming survives K-State 89-79 in triple OT for the right to host Wisconsin for the WNIT championship.

Comment

Another new attendance mark for the Cowgirls - 12,225. Congrats to Wyoming, beat the Badgers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=270872751

Go State!

Comment

Wyoming shot 52 free throws in the triple overtime shootout, Kansas State only shot 18    Hard to make up that many points in a game like this.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I wonder how many of the record crowd came from KSU.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                Wyoming shot 52 free throws in the triple overtime shootout, Kansas State only shot 18    Hard to make up that many points in a game like this.

Wow!  

32 fouls to 14, 3 Wildcats fouled out and another 4 finished the game with 4 PF.  

Go State!  

Comment

Interesting that so many horrible fouls were called against us on Sunday and then Kansas St. obviously had alot called against them. : Unless you guys mean that KS had the oppurtunity but just didn't make their free throws.

Comment

That was a heart-stooper of a game!

Next up: hosting some Badgers on Saturday!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OKC_Poke
                      That was a heart-stooper of a game!

Next up: hosting some Badgers on Saturday!!!!

Badgers, we don't need no stinking badgers.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Regarding K-State v. Wyoming: the reason for the foul disparity was very simple. Wyo altered its offense, which surprised K-State. It still ran its motion offense, but on every single possession from the start of the game Wyo used that offense to drive to the basket instead of taking outside shots. I mean on every single possession. That led to more fouls by K-State, especially since a motion offense often creates mismatches. Then, as the game wore on, it got worse for K-State, since its players tired in the altitude and get sloppier on defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Laramie
                          Regarding K-State v. Wyoming: the reason for the foul disparity was very simple. Wyo altered its offense, which surprised K-State. It still ran its motion offense, but on every single possession from the start of the game Wyo used that offense to drive to the basket instead of taking outside shots. I mean on every single possession. That led to more fouls by K-State, especially since a motion offense often creates mismatches. Then, as the game wore on, it got worse for K-State, since its players tired in the altitude and get sloppier on defense.

All I know is when you look at the personal fouls from WY vs. SDSU and WY vs. KS the ones called on the visiting team GREATLY out numbered those called on WY which to me is weird. I can understand a little disparity but not a 30-17 then a 32-14 that big of a disparity is crazy, usually the calls are pretty well balanced in any game at the college level.

Comment

Well, I suppose one could try to concoct some conspiracy involving referees who've never been to Laramie deciding to help Wyo over other teams, but it seems far-fetched.

First, losing teams usually commit more fouls...it's one of the reasons they lose (not to mention the intentional fouling at the end of games...and at the end of overtimes). Second, fouls had nothing to do with the SDSU game...SDSU went cold, and Wyo didn't. This is meant as no knock on, nor disrespect for SDSU, who has a fabulous team, fabulous individual players, and is extremely well-coached. But when you take a lot of shots -- starting with 3 to go in the first half and continuing through the first 10 of the second half -- and you make virtually none of them, only bad things are going to happen. Last, with K-State, one of their starters fouled out, and one of Wyo's fouled out. They got most of their fouls when mismatches occurred and guards, often non-starters, tried to defend bigs who drove the basket. The two players who starred for each team, and battled each other the whole game, each ended with four fouls. It is inexplicable -- and a coaching failure, in my estimation -- that K-State didn't move to a zone to counter Wyo's strategy. Maybe they can't play zone, I don't know. But they didn't, and gradually wore down on defense and slapped at people driving to the hoop.

Comment

I thought the Jacks got the shorter end of the stick when it came to how the game was called by the officials BUT IT WAS NOT THE DIFFERENCE IN THE GAME!!!!

We didn't hit the shots! Plus, just as Frost Arena was, it is hard to win in an environement like that!

The ladies fought til the end and I couldn't be more proud of that team!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Laramie
                                Last, with K-State, one of their starters fouled out, and one of Wyo's fouled out.    

Not true.  3 of Kansas State's players fouled out and 4 others had 4 fouls at the end of the game.  One player for Wyoming fouled out, one player ended the game with 4 fouls and the next player with the highest number of personal fouls had 2 at the end of the game (3 others each had 1 PF).  

Box Score from the Wyoming web site:

http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos..._pdf/KSU032807

I agree that we did not lose our game because of the reefing and I didn't watch or listen to the K-State game.  But an objective third party observer who noticed the huge disparity of foul calls might pause and wonder a moment or two.

With all that said best of luck and beat the Badgers!

Go State!  

Comment

Working...
                                X