Jill Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jill Young

Here is part of an article that the Mitchell Paper wrote about Jill Young and what we can expect from her this year.

SDSU’s head women’s basketball coach, Aaron Johnston, acknowledged that a redshirt year can be difficult for a highly sought-after recruit, but he was pleased with the way Young carried herself. He also felt like it ended up being an ideal situation for her to adapt to the college game without some of the added pressures that come with being in the lineup.
    “I thought (Young) handled it really well,” Johnston said. “It was a good year for her at SDSU. She was able to get settled with our style of play, and I think it will really pay off for her.
    “She was able to do it last year without the pressure of playing. She got to learn in a very comfortable environment.”
    “I guess just not having the pressure of thinking about playing time or anything made it easier,” Young agreed. “Just getting to go to practice all day and help make my teammates better and also making myself better — it was a less-pressure situation.”

“I think she’s still going to be a first-year player for us,” Johnston said about Young’s immediate future. “There will still be an adjustment for her to playing at this level. She’s got the ability to help us right away. There is a lot of competition for spots, especially on the perimeter, but we certainly feel like she can be in the mix.
    You can read the whole article here.

Go State!!!
    Go Jacks!!!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Good find and post. Good to see she is adjusting and is ready to go this fall. It is going to be pretty interesting to see how our team changes with all the new talent on the floor.
      Can't wait.
      “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

I was really impressed with Jill's shooting during midnight madness last year. Yeah I know, it was only midnight madness. You can still see what kind of shot a player has and Jill was popping them that night. She wasn't just a spot shooter either. This is going to be another good year for SDSU women's BB.
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Good, with potential to be great. SDSU has potential to be a Top 25 team this year, and potential to be perennial Top 25 material. The Lady Jacks are quickly establishing themselves as a Midwestern, and even national power.

Emphasis on "potential", though.

Comment

I think Jill will be a great player for the Jacks. I saw her play a little in high school. I was impressed with her scrapiness as well as her shooting and ball handling. She keeps her cool, too.
            This space for lease.

Comment

my take is that what jill young will do for the jacks is like what becky hammon has done for the san antonio silver stars of the wnbaany body ever hear about jackie stiles, a legend at southwest missouri state, single handedly (except for the other 4 players)got them to the final four before purdue put players hounding her all game long.
              Last edited by shinman; 12-20-2008, 05:46 PM.

Comment

One area where I think Jill needs to improve is her defense off screens.

At both the Utah & ORU games she had a tendency to 'float' off a screen, leaving the other team's guard wide open.

I'm not trying to nitpick, though.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  One area where I think Jill needs to improve is her defense off screens.

At both the Utah & ORU games she had a tendency to 'float' off a screen, leaving the other team's guard wide open.

I'm not trying to nitpick, though.
                  And I think she will improve. Her first "real" year with the team and it probably isn't like the defense from high school (not used to switching off players like they do with the SDSU defensive scheme). I don't know Jill but I have a feeling she is working pretty hard on her defense just as she did with her shooting. Looking forward to 3 more years of her play.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt_Evans
                    Jill may not be the world's greatest defender
                    She just needs more practice....

Any 5'-7" player that nabs that many boards in the paint is going to be a good defender.....

Comment

The girl is stud, and we are lucky she transferred to State from Creighton. The girl can lights out shoot the basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by rcjacks View Post
                        The girl can lights out shoot the basketball.
                        I am, seriously, more impressed by her defensive rebounding--although part of that is because of how well the Jacks defenders box out.

I mean, I like watching her shoot 3s, but I love watching her rebound in the paint.

Comment

Jill's a gamer. Whatever she needs to improve, she'll improve. She spent about a gazillion hours honing that shot in empty gyms over the years. She knows a thing or two about self-discipline.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Jill Young made Jessica Pike from Oakland work on defense in the 1st half, because they did not want Jill to get going. Pike in the 2nd half was wore out from following Jill Young around for the whole first half and then again in the 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                              Jill Young made Jessica Pike from Oakland work on defense in the 1st half, because they did not want Jill to get going. Pike in the 2nd half was wore out from following Jill Young around for the whole first half and then again in the 2nd.
                              Very good point tattoo, i like your reasoning for that situation

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                                Nice idea Tatto! Jill is a freshman and her defense this year has been very good! Pike is not your average player and we tried a number of people on her...and she still got 20 in the first half! Jill has been great this year and AJ has never hesitated from having her guard the other team's best guard!

Comment

Working...
                                X