GDT: SDSU vs NDSU 7pm Scheels Center SLN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

It sure looked like the classic no-contact knee injury to me. The reaction on the bench seemed to fit too.

That was a good win though. NDSU has some legit talent, and great size. It's good we have lots of reinforcements arriving for next year.
    The replay does not show contact. The 1 foot may have been turned a bit when she went down. The team needs all players at this point. We can hope for the best for Madysen. This was a big win for the Jackrabbits to get halfway undefeated.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

FIRST I hope that whatever happened to Maddy is minor and she misses little to no time (but i fully expect her not to play vs USD just hope i am wrong) now that i wrote that it just feels stupid!! i am sure it is obvious all of us hope that. Maddy has had plenty of challenges in her time here, it would be nice if she does not get hit with another significant hurdle

that said, if she does have to miss meaningful time, this team has grown a LOT and i am fully confident that Mesa, Ellie, and Jenna are able to absorb the additional minutes. Maddy is making contributions beyond her shooting!! leading us in minutes and putting up good rebound numbers and just really playing well!!

but the biggest element to replace would be her 3 pt shooting. Jenna is looking a lot better recently and Ellie is shooting from 3 in the last couple weeks better than any time in her career!! as far as minutes it would seem we have to play more with Mesa and Brooklyn together and there is zero doubt that Mesa is deserving of more minutes anyway

but unless we get shocking contributions from Tori, or Isabel, or Nelson (who i think is currently hurt) we would go from an 8 player rotation to basically 7. I believe these girls would shock a bunch of people and pull it off, but that is a meaningful change

Comment

I’ve heard from a pretty reliable source it’s a knee. Unbelievable that 5 out of the 12 girls on the roster have season ending injuries. AJ should get coach of the year in the entire country, not just the summit league for what he has done this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrabbit2012 View Post
          I’ve heard from a pretty reliable source it’s a knee. Unbelievable that 5 out of the 12 girls on the roster have season ending injuries. AJ should get coach of the year in the entire country, not just the summit league for what he has done this year.
          i hope your reliable source had something in their ears and misheard what was said!! if they heard correctly that SUCKS !! simply unbelievable BIG BUMMER for Maddy and for the team!! yet if true watch them all handle it like champs just a bummer if they have to both this time and... AGAIN

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            Has anyone tried to watch women's game replay? I am not able to access.
            Yes, it's there, kind of hard to find it, SLN (I should say Midco's web page) not the best web design in that regard , jus go to Summit League Web Page, clk on watch , Summit League Network (SLN) , replay, you have to slide to 5th spot to the right, will say SDSU vs NDSU, usually an arrow to slid to right , or left click and hold to grab with the little hand symbol and slide to the game. Hope that helps in case you haven't found it yet. You have to subscribe to SLN of course.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-02-2024, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

Yes, it's there, kind of hard to find it, SLN (I should say Midco's web page) not the best web design in that regard , jus go to Summit League Web Page, clk on watch , Summit League Network (SLN) , replay, you have to slide to 5th spot to the right, will say SDSU vs NDSU, usually an arrow to slid to right , or left click and hold to grab with the little hand symbol and slide to the game. Hope that helps in case you haven't found it yet. You have to subscribe to SLN of course.
              I was able to load it later after 2 live chats with Midco. There seemed to be a problem with the WDAY as producer of the game. I was able to watch any other game while the game in Fargo would not load. SLN must not have any staff for these situations as Midco Sports is the front door for the stream. We can expect things to improve.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

I was able to load it later after 2 live chats with Midco. There seemed to be a problem with the WDAY as producer of the game. I was able to watch any other game while the game in Fargo would not load. SLN must not have any staff for these situations as Midco Sports is the front door for the stream. We can expect things to improve.
                Thanks for the explanation, we don't get to see the "behind the scenes" reasons for a system failure, you took the time to find out the reason, and relayed it to us, thanks.

Comment

Can we find a way to not play in Fargo anymore ? If my memory is correct, that is where Myah blew out her knee and Tori also hurt a knee in the same game.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    Can we find a way to not play in Fargo anymore ? If my memory is correct, that is where Myah blew out her knee and Tori also hurt a knee in the same game.
                    my first thought when i read this was NO Myah and Tori got hurt playing UND and then it was the next game of the weekend playing without them that Tylee went nuts vs the bison

then I remembered, OH YES, that was the covid year where we played the same team on back to back nights at the same location. so yes that is right. first game of the NDSU weekend as i recall Tori got hurt pretty early. i feel like she got hurt before half time but did try to come back for a couple minutes in the second half? anyone recall that?

and Myah was definitely later in the game. feel like probably 4th Q, but maybe the very end of the 3rd

I am pretty sure Tylee passed 1000 points and had her career high scoring game the following night

so anyway yes it did happen in Fargo. I made a reference to rough play in the first thing i posted post game. mentioned the way that Jory seems to coach defense, much the way that Dawn P did. basically play as rough as possible and dare the refs to call every foul, and then if they do you angrily point out to the refs that they are calling way more fouls on your team than the other team

the refs were making quite a few calls in this game (at least from what i saw), until NDSU got both big girls in foul trouble. after that, they seemed to swallow their whistles.

I wonder if anyone would even think about saying something to Jory that we have had 3 significant injuries now in our last 7 games against his team. the injuries to Myah and Tori ruined an amazing year for the jacks. that team was playing like they had a good shot at the sweet 16 until those injuries occurred.

as i said earlier, I believe this team is going to handle this very well. Mesa is averaging less than 20 minutes a game. I feel like she could easily play an additional 10 minutes. the issue with that is it will require a bit of a shift in style. so it will be interesting to see how much we go to that two post lineup with both Mesa and Brooklyn. I have not looked at the playing time stats yet, but i feel like all of Mesa, Ellie, and Jenna were averaging under 20 minutes a game. there is zero question in my mind that they are way more than conditioned enough to add 10 minutes a game to their PT. if all three of them get a ten minute bump that basically covers Maddy's 30 minutes. i think the question is far more about what role changes do all the other players have to make and how quickly does everyone make the adjustment

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

so anyway yes it did happen in Fargo. I made a reference to rough play in the first thing i posted post game. mentioned the way that Jory seems to coach defense, much the way that Dawn P did. basically play as rough as possible and dare the refs to call every foul, and then if they do you angrily point out to the refs that they are calling way more fouls on your team than the other team

the refs were making quite a few calls in this game (at least from what i saw), until NDSU got both big girls in foul trouble. after that, they seemed to swallow their whistles.

I wonder if anyone would even think about saying something to Jory that we have had 3 significant injuries now in our last 7 games against his team. the injuries to Myah and Tori ruined an amazing year for the jacks. that team was playing like they had a good shot at the sweet 16 until those injuries occurred.
                      I didn’t think the game in Fargo looked any more physical than a rivalry game would typically look. They called a foul during this Vlastuin injury but the NDSU girls didn’t really look like they made any contact with her at all. I don’t remember if Myah or Tori’s injuries had much contact either. I don’t think any of these can be put on the refs or opponents. I do continue to question why we have so many and why so many other NCAA teams are seeing this more. There have been many forfeits this year in D1 games due to this. My only clear reason is the amount of AAU ball and time spent on the court is greater than it was in decades prior. The rising significant injuries are a major problem though, especially for our team.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post

I didn’t think the game in Fargo looked any more physical than a rivalry game would typically look. They called a foul during this Vlastuin injury but the NDSU girls didn’t really look like they made any contact with her at all. I don’t remember if Myah or Tori’s injuries had much contact either. I don’t think any of these can be put on the refs or opponents. I do continue to question why we have so many and why so many other NCAA teams are seeing this more. There have been many forfeits this year in D1 games due to this. My only clear reason is the amount of AAU ball and time spent on the court is greater than it was in decades prior. The rising significant injuries are a major problem though, especially for our team.
                        If I remember correctly, there was contact on Myah's, don't recall on Tori's. So many of them seem to be non-contact though especially on the women's side. Steph Paluch popped hers coming to a jump stop on an uncontested layup in Sioux Falls, and saw Gabby Boever blow hers out in high school coming straight down with a no-contact rebound.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post

good point 2011 !! there was basically no contact on the MV play. i dont think any team plays as rough as Dawn Ps teams did, but i thought NDSU was especially physical with Brooklyn in the paint. i was unable to watch the first half, but Brooklyn had a dominant 3rd Q. the refs were calling fouls. she knocked down all but one of her FTs and also scored on post moves. we also hit 3 or 4 threes in the 3rd to maybe give her just a sliver of additional space. both posts for NDSU got 3rd foul early in 3rd Q and refs did not call it the same after that

all that said, i agree with you. I believe the bison play physical and that is their intent, but they are within what have become normal expectations for the way the game is played. NO Question there are coaches who want to be as physical as possible and believe that the refs will be shy about blowing the whistle all the time. i have been to multiple coaching clinics with college coaches for presenters and heard them say this exactly. my guess is that is the way Collins wants to play, but i have never seen anyone do that more aggressively than Dawn P. she literally started telling the refs that they were picking on her poor girls the second she got off the bus, meanwhile her team was committing rape and assault the entire game

anyway, i have zero doubt that Brooklyn expects herself to make the shots that she missed around the bucket in the 4th Q and i believe she learns from this experience.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

If I remember correctly, there was contact on Myah's, don't recall on Tori's. So many of them seem to be non-contact though especially on the women's side. Steph Paluch popped hers coming to a jump stop on an uncontested layup in Sioux Falls, and saw Gabby Boever blow hers out in high school coming straight down with a no-contact rebound.
                            ACLs are very often non contact regardless of gender. i feel like we see many of them in football when players are making a cut and there is nobody around. my son tore his twice playing hoops and no contact on either one

consensus does seem to be that girls are more prone to ACL tears. i feel like i have heard speculation, but dont think i have heard anyone say that there is a definitive reason. i have heard athletic trainers and doctors speak about slight anatomical differences female vs male in the structure of the knee. i have also heard talk about female athletes run and move slightly differently. i know that at one time in the sioux city area schools were doing ACL prevention training with female athletes. working on moving differently- i feel like jump stops were a point of emphasis

i feel like on the male side of it there has been speculation about the early age specialization in single sports. i do think that happens more with male athletes but i am sure it is not exclusive. feel like more parents are not wanting their sons to play football, which makes specialization in basketball more likely. on the other hand, i do feel like most female high school basketball players also play volleyball. using Myah as an example, she was an amazing high school athlete in both volley ball and track in addition to basketball. Myah did have lower leg injury issues early, but i do not think she had any ACL tears until college. Macy on the other hand had an ACL tear early in her high school career i am pretty sure. did Macy play volley ball? track? i dont know

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

ACLs are very often non contact regardless of gender. i feel like we see many of them in football when players are making a cut and there is nobody around. my son tore his twice playing hoops and no contact on either one

consensus does seem to be that girls are more prone to ACL tears. i feel like i have heard speculation, but dont think i have heard anyone say that there is a definitive reason. i have heard athletic trainers and doctors speak about slight anatomical differences female vs male in the structure of the knee. i have also heard talk about female athletes run and move slightly differently. i know that at one time in the sioux city area schools were doing ACL prevention training with female athletes. working on moving differently- i feel like jump stops were a point of emphasis

i feel like on the male side of it there has been speculation about the early age specialization in single sports. i do think that happens more with male athletes but i am sure it is not exclusive. feel like more parents are not wanting their sons to play football, which makes specialization in basketball more likely. on the other hand, i do feel like most female high school basketball players also play volleyball. using Myah as an example, she was an amazing high school athlete in both volley ball and track in addition to basketball. Myah did have lower leg injury issues early, but i do not think she had any ACL tears until college. Macy on the other hand had an ACL tear early in her high school career i am pretty sure. did Macy play volley ball? track? i dont know
                              I know she golfed

Comment

I watched Madysen on replay, she was putting a lot of stress on her knee's the entire game, lots of playing defense with a lot of quick stops and direction changes, until something gave. It was frustrating because it happened with around 28 seconds or so to the end of the game.
                                Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-04-2024, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X