No announcement yet.

Round 2 NCAA GDT: Jackrabbits vs Hokies Cassell Coliseum 4pm CT ESPN2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never apologize for an NCAA win. Heck of a season. For those that think they would do well in the B1G over 20 games it would be ugly. But who cares, that’s why men’s teams like Xavier can excel in the tournament when it’s a one game season. Never ever be in the 8/9 matchup because it’s the worst barring a lightning strike.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      So many chances to make that a tight game. That’s pretty stunning, considering how VT came out shooting. We clearly didn’t have to be perfect, but there’s no room for missed layups.

Keep the perspective though. They just played the #4 team in the country on their sold-out home court. Almost zero teams are winning that game there.

One of these years we have to pull a top-4 seed and bring some Frost magic into play.
      i agree and i totally believe WE WILL host ncaa games in frost sooner than later!!!

i really dont think we were bothered by the crowd but i would like to see how they would have played on a neutral or hostile floor. almost all seniors they would probably been fine too

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitofDT View Post
        Never apologize for an NCAA win. Heck of a season. For those that think they would do well in the B1G over 20 games it would be ugly. But who cares, that’s why men’s teams like Xavier can excel in the tournament when it’s a one game season. Never ever be in the 8/9 matchup because it’s the worst barring a lightning strike.
        It'll be interesting to see how USC/UCLA fare in the B1G

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Travel will be a killer compared to what they are used to now.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

i cannot think of ANY reason why they wont be fine other than maybe a bit of a change in recruiting area over the next few years?? BUT i think that is a LOT tougher in football where you play probably 40 or more players in every game. in basketball you play between 5 and 10

the pac 12 is and has been one of the very best WBB conferences
            in the last 10 years they very consistently have a handful of ranked teams and multiple teams in the top 10

stanford has been as good as almost anyone for a LONG time
            oregon
            OSU has had good teams
            both AZ schools have been good
            usc thinks they are building back to good
            ucla has been and should be good
            utah
            wsu

i dont think anyone can say the compteition is going to be too strong in the big 10. maybe there is some familiarity with the former conference foes that they will not have BUT that can work both ways

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Travel will be a killer compared to what they are used to now.
              ok yes i concede travel will be tougher but gotta imagine both schools probably do everything possible to minimize that

Comment

If the Rabbits want to make the jump beyond the Sweet 16 which is outstanding, Johnston will need to find that extra special player to put them over the top. Doing well in the Summit is just a prerequisite. Once everyone has equal or better athletes in the NCAAs all bets are off.

Comment

Theyve had many extra special players, what has been missing is that BIG extra special player.
                  Certainly it's tough to keep those away from "Power 5" schools, but seems the Jacks have built a credible resume to go after more of those, perhaps through the portal.
                  Just imagine the Jack's team with the Sjevern (sp?) girl the Coyotes got from transfer? That could have made them an Elite 8 team??

BUT... at what cost to the culture of the program, built up of 4 or 5 year players from the region. I'm sure this is the balance AJ tries to find.
                  Meanwhile we should take great pride in the success they make with our local athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitofDT View Post
                    Wouldn't be ugly at all, they would have a better record than your precious goofs. Lol. Goofer sports are a joke and even the Fleck act is wearing thin with fans. Butt Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post
                      Theyve had many extra special players, what has been missing is that BIG extra special player.
                      Certainly it's tough to keep those away from "Power 5" schools, but seems the Jacks have built a credible resume to go after more of those, perhaps through the portal.
                      Just imagine the Jack's team with the Sjevern (sp?) girl the Coyotes got from transfer? That could have made them an Elite 8 team??

BUT... at what cost to the culture of the program, built up of 4 or 5 year players from the region. I'm sure this is the balance AJ tries to find.
                      Meanwhile we should take great pride in the success they make with our local athletes.
                      How about a compromise , the best of both worlds so to speak. Keep recruiting as many of the best area players, but try for that one rim protector, intimidater, double/double machine to give us the flexibility we need to take the next step.Hope we keep one one eye out for that program changer, maybe she'll also be local and dreamed of playing as a Jackrabbit. Sjevern was a local area player (Minn) that got homesick, Coyotes caught a huge break.

Proud of the fight our Jacks put up against a #1 seed on their home floor with thousands of fans cheering their every move. Great season , just a bad draw and tough 3 pt shooting night. It was a long break away from the Tournament, it almost felt like the first time again, so glad we finally made it back and hopefully starting another streak of getting to the NCAA Tournament. The Tournament experience definitely makes us better the next season I think.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-19-2023, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post

I don’t necessarily think height is what we are missing right now. Obviously if you put a 6’4”+ post on this team they look different but if you put Madison Guebert on this team they might still be playing. Outside of their 6’6” post we matched up fairly well and were actually taller at most positions. What we were missing is a shooter who could knock down open threes consistently. Gueberts worst year shooting 3s was junior year and she still made 85 at 38%. We have been a worse 3 point shooting team every year since she graduated except last year we made 305 in 38 games. That teams was historically balanced with 6 players making more than 30 3s on the year. But every other year we have been significantly worse with our best shooter being Rylie Cassio Jensen 47 in 19-20, Tyler Irwin 33 in 20-21, Myah 51 this year. Team totals were 202, 163, 236 in those years. In Gueberts 4 years we made 266, 228, 284, 272. The only year we didn’t go to the NCAA tournament was when we made 228 and lost in the second round of the WNIT.

Now obviously Guebert was a historically great player and we may never see anyone like her again but I think we have to find someone that can shoot like her worse than we need a 6’ 6” player.

Comment

Cant argue that, maybe the Jack's need 2

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post

I don’t necessarily think height is what we are missing right now. Obviously if you put a 6’4”+ post on this team they look different but if you put Madison Guebert on this team they might still be playing. Outside of their 6’6” post we matched up fairly well and were actually taller at most positions. What we were missing is a shooter who could knock down open threes consistently. Gueberts worst year shooting 3s was junior year and she still made 85 at 38%. We have been a worse 3 point shooting team every year since she graduated except last year we made 305 in 38 games. That teams was historically balanced with 6 players making more than 30 3s on the year. But every other year we have been significantly worse with our best shooter being Rylie Cassio Jensen 47 in 19-20, Tyler Irwin 33 in 20-21, Myah 51 this year. Team totals were 202, 163, 236 in those years. In Gueberts 4 years we made 266, 228, 284, 272. The only year we didn’t go to the NCAA tournament was when we made 228 and lost in the second round of the WNIT.

Now obviously Guebert was a historically great player and we may never see anyone like her again but I think we have to find someone that can shoot like her worse than we need a 6’ 6” player.
                            I agree with this. Our biggest weakness this year was our outside shooting. We weren't terrible just not great. In order to pull an upset of VT we needed to make a few threes.

Comment

We need some Summit League teams to get better athletes. We haven’t played anyone that can challenge our length/athleticism combination since Dec. I think that showed on Friday with some of the blocked shots, which lead the Jacks to rushing shots, and generally playing faster than we were used to. Against USC, we got through it since they were offensively challenged. Outside of a massive cold spell in the first half (about 8 minutes of game time, where we missed a number of normally good looks/layups etc) we basically played a #1 seed even on their home floor.

I’m not sure what conventional wisdom says is the point differential for home court advantage, but familiar sight lines, sleeping in your own bed, familiar surroundings etc can’t be underestimated as an advantage for the top seeds in the NCAA WBB tournament. Which is a huge reason they have significantly fewer upsets than the men’s side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post

see post #53 from this thread
                                totally agree that we do not absolutely have to have someone bigger to become a team who is in the mix to host first round games. am i saying we shouldnt take one if a good fit is available? of course not.

but Kallie has more than proven she can guard people taller than her and she can rebound with them. i very much believe that Brooklyn will show the same ability to guard and also to score and if they can do it others will be able to also.

we absolutely NEEDED more scoring this year. i know we scored over 80 a game in conference but we kind of knew that shooting was an issue all year. we shot a good percent from 3 because as the season went on the people who should not have been shooting 3s shot less 3s. Myah shoots a good percentage because she is the definition of what Hendo would call taking the right shots. and that is why we struggled in the two ncaa games. good defensive teams did NOT allow our top 3pt shooters- Myah, Timmer, Paige to catch in rhythm with their feet set. Myah has never been a player to want to force many less than good shots. the shots we did force we generally did not make

Tori has scored over 10 a game in the past. and last year she shot 3s well, but i am not sure she is going to be a big scorer next year?? hope i am wrong. i think she might be more aggressive looking to score early in the season and in games with Myah and Paiton gone, but i could also see her willing to let others do the scoring again. Kallie might be able to score a bit more too, but my guess is these two will be the foundation of a really good defensive team. kallie is an incredible post defender who can hold her own if she steps out on a guard and Tori can guard any player on the floor somewhere between competently and very well

that leaves the scoring to paige, timmie, and the 3 sophomores to be, maddie v maybe, a transfer? maybe
                                i really do think it is possible that 1 or 2 of the 3 sophs and maybe all 3 will end up being very very good offensive players

Comment

Working...
                                X