Round 2 NCAA GDT: Jackrabbits vs Hokies Cassell Coliseum 4pm CT ESPN2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

Well??? who can say what tape they watched? i sure dont know BUT i have NO IDEA why you would try anything else against them?

basically you HAVE TO have at least 4 people with at least one foot in the paint and much of the time all 5. they are not a great perimeter shooting team. you gotta hope they miss enough and you dont give up a bunch of O Boards

one thing i would do different. whoever is guarding boston and cordozo is not allowed to help one inch. their only job is try to keep those two at least 6 feet from the hoop and dont give up an inch of rebounding position

if the other girls make the first shot?? FINE then you gotta hit enough from outside to out score them, but when you get a stop and they just go get EVERY O board it is back breaking
    Not only are South Carolina's post players tall and athletic, but they are big and strong, and have that knack for (for doing it all season long & coaching probably), and desire to get that rebound , and if the ref's let the game get physical like this one was, USC's posts are very hard to box out , they will just man handle you to get the rebounding position they want, especially against smaller players. That's why they are the most dominate rebounding team in the Nation IMHO. Hats off to Iowa for being a gritty, tough team to handle that enough for the win, it wasn't easy.

Comment

I think Amore in VT game was kind of contained and less effective against LSU by them putting fast, athletic, quick defenders on her harassing her all game long, she didn't seem to get set for the shot as much to me, nor have the time to. I'll have to re-watch the replay to watch specifically that to affirm my limited observation. But the few times I watched , a player hounded her as she moved about without the ball and pretty close even with the ball at times (harassing).

Both these semi-final games were very intense, high energy, adrenaline infused, battles to be sure. Not your regular season games , so much at stake, and it showed. A deep bench is very needed, as there's inevitably going to be some players in foul trouble, and more players fatigued do to the high level of physical exertion in games of this intensity level. All these teams are very,very good defensive teams in these semi-finals, it's no wonder AJ stresses defense so much.
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-01-2023, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel;n533584[B
        ]I think Amore in VT game was kind of contained and less effective against LSU by them putting fast, athletic, quick defenders [/B]on her harassing her all game long, she didn't seem to get set for the shot as much to me, nor have the time to. I'll have to re-watch the replay to watch specifically that to affirm my limited observation. But the few times I watched , a player hounded her as she moved about without the ball and pretty close even with the ball at times (harassing).

Both these semi-final games were very intense, high energy, adrenaline infused, battles to be sure. Not your regular season games , so much at stake, and it showed. A deep bench is very needed, as there's inevitably going to be some players in foul trouble, and more players fatigued do to the high level of physical exertion in games of this intensity level.
        i would have to watch more closely, regarding your comment about how they guarded her without the ball

but to me i feel like they and SC last night shared one important defensive philosophy. and regarding VT i dont know WHY the teams they played last weekend (the second weekend, AFTER she hit 12 threes in their first two games) did not do MORE of this

i think LSU and USC last night were trying pretty aggressively to force the opponents top shooters OFF the 3pt line and / or not give ANY good looks beyond the arc. I definitely thought after our game against VT that was the approach to take against them.

against us for instance King hit 3 threes in the first half and did nothing off the dribble
        i am pretty sure Amoore did not make a single shot inside the arc against us as well. obviously i can go check the boxscore but it was 1 at the most. but she hit 7 freaking 3s

anyway point being i think the VT guards are a WAY bigger problem shooting 3s than they are inside the arc and i think that is what LSU did last night

i think USC tried the same thing and that explains Clark being 5 of 17 (still not terrible, except for her) and Iowa not shooting well from 3. the difference is that Clark is 6 inches taller than Amoore and is a much better passer and scorer inside the arc than Amoore is. and Clark was able to take far more advantage of the plan to take away the 3 by getting layups for herself and specifically Cinznano?? i will pretty much guarantee iowa had more layups last night against usc than any other team all year and definitely more than anyone dreamed possible against a team with Boston, Cordozo and company guarding the rim. but that was because of Clark and the iowa shooters and the effort to stop them hitting 3s and clark's length and skill to be able to take advantage of that

Comment

Working...
        X