(9) SDSU vs (8) USC: Friday 7 PM NCAA Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (9) SDSU vs (8) USC: Friday 7 PM NCAA Tournament

Let’s get talkin. I’m expecting a really close game. I am hoping our seniors and lead us to a big time victory.

USC comes from the PAC 12 conference which is a very good WBB conference. Hopefully AJs connection to the UCLA coach can give us a scouting boost.

I was looking at the season's stats, to find out more about USC, What I found is we are a very solid team stat wise. One thing they are dominate at is shot blocking, at #6 in the country, even then, we aren't real shabby at # 65. As far as a Pac 12 team, even Coach Close said we are very similar to them (UCLA). Bottom line is we should feel very confident going into the game that if we play to our ability and potential , there's no reason to not believe that we can come away victorious in this game. I'm sure the players are confident and believe the same. It's March maddness and we are ready to Tango.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      I was looking at the season's stats, to find out more about USC, What I found is we are a very solid team stat wise. One thing they are dominate at is shot blocking, at #6 in the country, even then, we aren't real shabby at # 65. As far as a Pac 12 team, even Coach Close said we are very similar to them (UCLA). Bottom line is we should feel very confident going into the game that if we play to our ability and potential , there's no reason to not believe that we can come away victorious in this game. I'm sure the players are confident and believe the same. It's March maddness and we are ready to Tango.

100%
      not saying we WILL win. it is not a given, but i do feel confident that our girls will play well. i think one of the biggest issues is that this is a game where the two teams ARE EXPECTED to be evenly matched. we have not been in a game like that since sometime in december or november (definitely were not supposed to be evenly matched in our last OOC game). I dont think it will take us too much time to get past that

they are not going to significantly outsize us, but as already mentioned they are good shotblockers. it will be nice, especially early, to get some scoring in the paint, because it would be nice to NOT have to rely on being hot from the perimeter immediately. so WHO is gonna get us some buckets inside? recently we have really tried to establish Paiton inside early, but she has traditionally struggled against post defenders who are bigger than her. this would be a great game to have her hit some 3s but that has been a very unreliable weapon this year. i think if we get scoring from Paiton it will be a bonus and a bad sign for the usc ladies. will they let Paiton draw someone out of the paint to give Myah space?? will Timmy and Paige score off the dribble? I think we will find a way but it will be interesting what it is

that said, i really think this will come down to defense and rebounding. obviously Sissoko should know better, being 0 and 2 against us already, but i still think they will have a feeling that they will be able to do what they want and if we are making it tough for them to score and beating them on the boards it will be a test of their resolve. our defense has improved a lot in the last 60-70% of league games,I believe if we keep that up things will look very very good for us

i would say if we shoot well from 3 i really like our chances, but that just seems like it should be obvious. that is why teams try so hard to defend the 3 because letting your opponent get hot from there is game changing. that said i would love to see Timmy keep up her shooting from the SLT and maybe someone else join her

Comment

We have many options as you have noted, maybe a combination of them, we'll utilize the whatever works best mentality i suppose, AJ will have a plan, plan B, or more I'm sure. He'll mix it up at times too perhaps? Should be fun to see what the plan is and how it's executed. They ( our coaching staff ) have the film to dissect and formulate the best way to attack and defend and all that's left is to implement that plan or make adjustments to it as needed. We will be prepared and ready, the coaching staff will see to it, rest assured. The waiting is the worst part for us fans, the players not so much as they are kept busy and practicing, preparing, I hope this will be a coming out party for our under class-men as we are one season removed just about from being more seasoned and accustomed to Div 1 play and our seniors/juniors should be steadfast and steady as usual, can't wait for the opening tip off.

Once the game starts, the players will know what to do and how to do it, that's what well disciplined and prepared teams do, not to say there won't be any spontaneous athletic moments where a player see's an opportunity and exploits it, as we've been accustomed to seeing a few times throughout the game, that are fun to watch. Let the games begin, only 3 days away.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-15-2023, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I heard tickets sold out for both round 1 and round 2 in Virginia. I would hope there is at least some blue in the stands but sounds like it’ll be an impressive showing for the Hokies. Hopefully they cheer for us in round 1.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
            I heard tickets sold out for both round 1 and round 2 in Virginia. I would hope there is at least some blue in the stands but sounds like it’ll be an impressive showing for the Hokies. Hopefully they cheer for us in round 1.
            Hopefully someday, we'll be able to host the first two rounds, or if not us,someone close who's not a #1 or 2 seed playing hot at the right time, where we will be assigned to play too. We have to get a break sometime if we keep knocking at the door right? I think the closest to home we've played in now ten times playing in the Tournament is Denver, if my questionable memory serves me right, against S Carolina . That's not a very good track record for the NCAA's mission statement, their goal to match teams closest to home as they can is it? I will acknowledge however, it's not always easy for them to have all the circumstances fall into place for them to do that, but I digress.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-15-2023, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Draftkings has us as 4.5 pt favorites as of noon today.

Comment

It seems as the season has gone on for the Jack’s, the spacing and passing has been outstanding! USC has 7 transfers I believe this year!? USC doesn’t have the experience playing together like the Jack’s have. To me, this will be a huge benefit especially playing against such a highly rated shot blocking team. If the Jack’s can maintain that precise passing and spacing then USC will have a much harder time upsetting the Jack’s scoring and rhythm!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 73alum View Post
                  It seems as the season has gone on for the Jack’s, the spacing and passing has been outstanding! USC has 7 transfers I believe this year!? USC doesn’t have the experience playing together like the Jack’s have. To me, this will be a huge benefit especially playing against such a highly rated shot blocking team. If the Jack’s can maintain that precise passing and spacing then USC will have a much harder time upsetting the Jack’s scoring and rhythm!!!
                  i have not seen them play so i cannot say HOW they do it??
                  do they block more shots as the initial defender? or do they get the blocks coming from off the ball??

i agree with you about our spacing!! connected to that our player movement and ball movement. i do agree with you those things make us more difficult to get a bunch of blocks against. we are more susceptible to a particulary long defender who plays off the ball, but the problem for that is that all of our girls can score so there is no obvious choice for a player like that to help off of

it will be interesting to see how this plays out. they are not extremely tall. i dont know that they really have much of a hieght advantage with the players who get most of the play time

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

i have not seen them play so i cannot say HOW they do it??
                    do they block more shots as the initial defender? or do they get the blocks coming from off the ball??

i agree with you about our spacing!! connected to that our player movement and ball movement. i do agree with you those things make us more difficult to get a bunch of blocks against. we are more susceptible to a particulary long defender who plays off the ball, but the problem for that is that all of our girls can score so there is no obvious choice for a player like that to help off of

it will be interesting to see how this plays out. they are not extremely tall. i dont know that they really have much of a hieght advantage with the players who get most of the play time
                    Good question on the shot blocking. I don’t know where they get the most blocks. Since the USC team overall is not superior in height, maybe they have long arms!!!
                    In one of the Jack’s games, one of the announcers was talking about Dru…’she has such long arms, she’s always getting her hands on the ball’!! Maybe Timmer is that way also, probably not Paige but Paige is a pest on defense anyway. I guess it mainly makes it more imperative the Jack’s have crisp passing to keep away from whatever ‘blocking’ USC does.

Comment

Originally posted by 73alum View Post
                      Good question on the shot blocking. I don’t know where they get the most blocks. Since the USC team overall is not superior in height, maybe they have long arms!!!
                      In one of the Jack’s games, one of the announcers was talking about Dru…’she has such long arms, she’s always getting her hands on the ball’!! Maybe Timmer is that way also, probably not Paige but Paige is a pest on defense anyway. I guess it mainly makes it more imperative the Jack’s have crisp passing to keep away from whatever ‘blocking’ USC does.
                      Kallie has a very long reach also, she gets some blocks because of it, but mainly rebounds. Interesting note, on paper we are the better rebounding team , you'd think a shot blocking team would also be a better rebounding team as well. I know the difference in conferences can impact stats somewhat, but since our high margin level superiority in the stats suggests that we are better despite the differences I'd say. They must have an athletic knack for blocking shots if they aren't substantially taller than us, maybe a good scheme in place for help side blocking, other physical attributes such as quickness and closing out speed, leaping ability (although players are preached for the most part to not leave their feet) , I have no idea either how they are so good at shot blocking. Did some looking, It's Marshall at 6'4" and Akunwafo at 6'6" their two players with length that are their main shot blockers, Top 3 rebounders are Marshall by a long shot (309), Sissoko 6'2", and 6'0" Adika, makes sense. Littleton and Sissoko most minutes played.

We'll see in a couple days, hopefully it won't negatively affect us too much. I'm hoping we can get some buckets from Kallie, Paiton, Brooklyn, besides what we expect from Myah, Paige, and Tori, and of course Timmer, hope MM and Ellie have a good game when they spell out players for a little rest, and hope maddie V is on her shot. We are pretty diverse in the way we score and from who. I like we can throw two different style, very good PG's at them too.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-15-2023, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Kallie has a very long reach also, she gets some blocks because of it, but mainly rebounds. Interesting note, on paper we are the better rebounding team , you'd think a shot blocking team would also be a better rebounding team as well. I know the difference in conferences can impact stats somewhat, but since our high margin level superiority in the stats suggests that we are better despite the differences I'd say. They must have an athletic knack for blocking shots if they aren't substantially taller than us, maybe a good scheme in place for help side blocking, other physical attributes such as quickness and closing out speed, leaping ability (although players are preached for the most part to not leave their feet) , I have no idea either how they are so good at shot blocking. Did some looking, It's Marshall at 6'4" and Akunwafo at 6'6" their two players with length that are their main shot blockers, Top 3 rebounders are Marshall by a long shot (309), Sissoko 6'2", and 6'0" Adika, makes sense. Littleton and Sissoko most minutes played.

We'll see in a couple days, hopefully it won't negatively affect us too much. I'm hoping we can get some buckets from Kallie, Paiton, Brooklyn, besides what we expect from Myah, Paige, and Tori, and of course Timmer, hope MM and Ellie have a good game when they spell out players for a little rest, and hope maddie V is on her shot. We are pretty diverse in the way we score and from who. I like we can throw two different style, very good PG's at them too.
                        that is going to be one of the most interesting things to me. i venture we will see both PG on the floor at the same time more than we have yet. i bet Myah and Timmer both play over 30 minutes. we will see? anyone else?? if the game gets faster and higher scoring i would guess Paige has extra minutes. if it is a defense and rebounding slow down slugfest then probably Tori

Comment

The game will be on midco TV, Ch 301 on ESPNN. I believe it will be carried on ESPN too online live, if you don't have Midco for your TV.

Comment

The game will be on midco TV, Ch 301 on ESPNN. I believe it will be carried on ESPN too online live, if you don't have Midco for your TV.
                            Have you seen if it is available on ESPN+ since Midco is broadcasting?
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

Have you seen if it is available on ESPN+ since Midco is broadcasting?
                              Just plain ole ESPN / Watch / schedule replay , I think it will play because I clicked on it and it brought up the screen but said " Event not started yet" , anyway seemed normal to me. For whatever reason , the game was not listed for ESPN+ , but everyone gets plain old ESPN for free . Hope I'm right and the game does show and play on ESPN. It should in my view, because it's listed.
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-16-2023, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X