No announcement yet.

Whalen out at U of M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are just about surrounded now by former USD coaches, is this some kind of plott? I wonder if Dawn will kick Amy's butt , or visa versa, both in same Conference now

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      We are just about surrounded now by former USD coaches, is this some kind of plott? I wonder if Dawn will kick Amy's butt , or visa versa, both in same Conference now
      I’m completely fine with them being a pipeline school and program in all sports while we retain our best coaches and players as well as we can. Dawn will have her work cut out for her in MN. Look how much Amy has struggled at Nebraska. The Gophers have been a subpar program for quite some time now and while they have some promising young recruits, if Whalen can’t land MN’s top recruits I’m certainly not sure she can. It’s a culture issue in that athletic dept that is going to be difficult to overcome. I’d be nervous if I was USD about her coming after Larkins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post

I’m completely fine with them being a pipeline school and program in all sports while we retain our best coaches and players as well as we can. Dawn will have her work cut out for her in MN. Look how much Amy has struggled at Nebraska. The Gophers have been a subpar program for quite some time now and while they have some promising young recruits, if Whalen can’t land MN’s top recruits I’m certainly not sure she can. It’s a culture issue in that athletic dept that is going to be difficult to overcome. I’d be nervous if I was USD about her coming after Larkins.
        Another poacher, seems to be a former USD coach theme if she does.

Comment

Listened to a DP interview today on KFAN. She stressed the importance of retaining the instate talent. Maybe it’s just lip service? Maybe there will be no issues for AJ and his recruiting?

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
            Listened to a DP interview today on KFAN. She stressed the importance of retaining the instate talent. Maybe it’s just lip service? Maybe there will be no issues for AJ and his recruiting?
            It will be interesting to see if she can get the extreme top end of Minnesota talent that has been going to the U Conn's and South Carolina's of the world.

Comment

Another poacher, seems to be a former USD coach theme if she does.
              Update me & the forum, please. What former USD coach poached players ?

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post

Didn't Krull transfer to Huskers?

Regardless, whether she was a poached 'Yote is debatable, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post

I call her (Amy Williams ) that because Markowski accepted our offer to play at SDSU , but changes her mind and goes to Neb mysteriously when she receives an offer from Neb AFTER verbalizing to us, if I have that right. Maybe that's common place now, I don't know, is it? She had plenty of time to recruit her before she (recruit) accepted our offer to us ,if she had an eye for talent in her own backyard, but she waited until AFTER another Institution offers and it's accepted, to offer said recruit. Way past that now, but to me poacher fits the deed. I know it's a players prerogative to change their mind , but for the coach to do that is kind of low class I think, unless it was the player who contacted the coach and asked for an offer, in which case is perfectly fine and proper. Maybe you know something I've missed that would cause me to change my mind about how that went down? Glad to hear it if you do. I could be wrong and sometimes I am, if so , i'll retract the characterization , as I might have been misguided in my assumption about Amy, nothing against her other than this one incident, and have gotten past it quite frankly a good while back.
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-26-2023, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I call her (Amy Williams ) that because Markowski accepted our offer to play at SDSU , but changes her mind and goes to Neb mysteriously when she receives an offer from Neb AFTER verbalizing to us, if I have that right. Maybe that's common place now, I don't know, is it? She had plenty of time to recruit her before she (recruit) accepted our offer to us ,if she had an eye for talent in her own backyard, but she waited until AFTER another Institution offers and it's accepted, to offer said recruit. Way past that now, but to me poacher fits the deed. I know it's a players prerogative to change their mind , but for the coach to do that is kind of low class I think, unless it was the player who contacted the coach and asked for an offer, in which case is perfectly fine and proper. Maybe you know something I've missed that would cause me to change my mind about how that went down? Glad to hear it if you do. I could be wrong and sometimes I am, if so , i'll retract the characterization , as I might have been misguided in my assumption about Amy, nothing against her other than this one incident, and have gotten past it quite frankly a good while back.
                    i don't believe there was anything nefarious going on......father played for the huskers. big husker fans. i read where she played in a spring or summer tournament and found out she could hold her own against some of the best posts in the country. that helped in changing her commitment. yeah....bummer for jacks, but, it happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by rimmer View Post

i don't believe there was anything nefarious going on......father played for the huskers. big husker fans. i read where she played in a spring or summer tournament and found out she could hold her own against some of the best posts in the country. that helped in changing her commitment. yeah....bummer for jacks, but, it happens.
                      Thanks for the clarification, I'm getting old, memory getting foggy, but, this explanation sounds familiar, maybe someone, possibly you, told me this before , my bad if I forgot and made the same accusation twice now ( the poaching thing), better start writing things down, maybe that helps ....errr wait, I already write things down, but I've got so much wrote down it's all lost in the piles of paper I've collected, so I forget anyway....HA!

Comment

• i dont think either one of you are wrong

i have zero facts about this, but it seems pretty clear that IF UNL was her dream school, then NOBODY associated with UNL WBB communicated with her that she had a shot to play for them before she committed to the jacks

after she committed, we have no reason to believe there were any violations of any rules about communication!! but i think you would be safe to guess that it was unofficially made known to her that bigger schools were interested before she decommitted from the jacks

nothing to be mad about. it shows that the jacks do a good job of recognizing good players early!! seems to give some hint that amy and staff did not do a good job of recognizing at least one good player in their own backyard, OWN CITY

and ultimately the player made the decisions she is / was free to make

Comment

• https://www.startribune.com/gophers-...vjZNMaylOAfUS0
                          Dawn has WVU signee follow to Minnesota.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

• Grace Grocholski

committed to Arizona, de-committed to pledge to West Virginia and now plans to be a Gopher.

NIL at work?

Charles Barkley forecast on-the-air this weekend, that NIL will drive most good MBB's to about 25 or so schools with "resource$" in the NIL area. Probably has a ripple effect in WBB as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X