No announcement yet.

GDT: Creighton Bluejays #21 vs SDSU Jackrabbits #23/24 7pm Frost Arena Midco2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Creighton Bluejays #21 vs SDSU Jackrabbits #23/24 7pm Frost Arena Midco2

Tonight is the big game for both teams trying to improve on a great 2021-22 season. Creighton made the Elite 8 in the tournament last year and they return 4 of 5 starters, They are preseason 2nd place in the Big East following UConn. They also have 2 preseason BE picks in Ronsiek and Jensen. The Jackrabbit freshmen showed some promise in the exhibition game. The Jackrabbits could also hope that Dru Gylten is game ready today or soon as the OOC will need all hands on deck as soon as possible. We can also hope that Coach Flanery's trend for opening games on the road continues as he is 3-9 during his time at Creighton. Tonight will recognize the WNIT Championship as the mini WNIT banners will be available for fans. Go Jacks!!
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Gylten is not going tonight to play tonight but is going to try and play Friday it sounds like. Going to be a tough game for the Jacks and I am excited to watch. I will be in FROST ARENA tonight

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
      Gylten is not going tonight to play tonight but is going to try and play Friday it sounds like. Going to be a tough game for the Jacks and I am excited to watch. I will be in FROST ARENA tonight
      Is this hearsay, or was there a weekly update with AJ I missed out on?

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
        I’m not sure she’ll ever be anywhere close to 100% this year but time will tell. This will be really tough tonight but a home win over a ranked team would be a tremendous way to start the season. Hopefully the momentum from last year and the level of play carries over. A healthy Selland will make a huge difference especially with Ronsiek’s size and versatility.

Comment

Should be a good game tonight. This will be an early test to see where the Jackrabbits match up with some of the best in WCBB! Let's go Jacks!

Comment

Brooklyn Meyer coming off the bench but showing why she’s the real deal. Powering over Ronsiek who is scoreless. I anticipate her to get going in the second half for Creighton.

Comment

I know it’s the season opener but our upperclassmen did not look sharp tonight. They’ll get it together but we also need a PG back badly. Disappointing loss as tonight would’ve been big for the resume.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
                I know it’s the season opener but our upperclassmen did not look sharp tonight. They’ll get it together but we also need a PG back badly. Disappointing loss as tonight would’ve been big for the resume.
                Two starting guards out…pretty tough to win against Creighton!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 73alum View Post
                  Two starting guards out…pretty tough to win against Creighton!!!
                  Jacks are going to have a hard time beating really good teams when shooting 5-21 on threes. Was impressed with Meyer and Colbeck. Inexperience showed at times on defense - got caught ball watching a few times and gave up some easy buckets.

Comment

31 bench points including 22 by freshmen has to be encouraging. The 3pt shot will start falling soon enough. 23.8% from tonight would have been the 4th worst percentage last year. 23.1% during 55-52 loss to Missouri State. 15.4% during 67-55 loss to Creighton. 12.5% during win against UCLA 62-59.

Attendance was 2504

Comment

Tough L, definitely a winnable game. Really could've used a true PG, our offense lacked some flow due to it. I really believe we win that game with a healthy Paige or Dru.

Jensen was lights out tonight and Creighton runs really terrific sets, so tip of the cap to them, too. Our guards showed their youth on defense tonight.

Brooklyn Meyer and Kallie Theisen are going to be spectacular this year. What a pull to get Meyer to Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
                        Tough L, definitely a winnable game. Really could've used a true PG, our offense lacked some flow due to it. I really believe we win that game with a healthy Paige or Dru.

Jensen was lights out tonight and Creighton runs really terrific sets, so tip of the cap to them, too. Our guards showed their youth on defense tonight.

Brooklyn Meyer and Kallie Theisen are going to be spectacular this year. What a pull to get Meyer to Brookings.
                        I was thinking along the same lines, we are not the same team as we were in the WNIT, both Lindsey (terrific rebounder for her size and fantastic energy) and Haley last season were a little under-appreciated ( both Haley and Lindsey made some crucial 3 pt shots when we needed them), I think, for running the PG position in the absence of Paige , and Tylee was also a great ball handler,gifted athlete.

Tonight we had some great contributions from Myah, Brooklyn and Haleigh, when she was on the court, some average contributions too, some poor (although not typically poor) contributions. We were out played as a 5 on 5 unit tonight, inexperience played a part, Creighton is overall a more experienced team. That said, I like this team as we gain more experience and get more used to playing with one another as the season goes on. Very optimistic we will be awesome at seasons end, but we need a resume built by the end of the OOC portion of the schedule if we want to be considered for an at-large favorably in case the unexpected happens in the SLT at conference seasons end. If we can get our 3 point production back on tract, we'll be fine I think. 5 made threes in 21 tries is a poor return on the investment , so to speak. I agree, Creighton is a great team, and as a first real game for our freshmen , it was kind of a baptism by fire experience for them.

Comment

It’s frustrating to have a loaded team missing a critical component during this high profile non conference season. It’s like having a Tesla with a broken power steering system.

I give the team credit for hanging in there as long as they did last night. It will be awesome to see how good they’ll be with Dru and Paige.

Comment

We have 2 point guards not playing. (and they are the two that will be playing the most at the end of the season, most likely).

Tough for the two true freshmen point guards to start against a team as good as Creighton. Yet the team was there.

I really liked what I saw from the team. Just need to shoot it a bit better. Which we all know they are capable of.

The freshmen look REALLY good too. Like, all of em.

Comment

it was definitely frustrating. i would say it was that way because, even though it was the first game, we know that some to all of these players are capable of much more.

i thought only Myah and Kallie and Brooklyn played well for most of the game. i love the way that Brooklyn goes after EVERY rebound. Timmer also does that, much like LT used to do. Timmer played hard but maybe not always smart, but her effort is great.

i thought our defense was really not up to par, especially in the second half. we did not handle screens well and gave up way too many really really open looks

Tori is becoming the WBB version of alex arians. she is content to let everyone else score, but last night we needed more activity from her on that end. she was really a non threat. and i have no idea what is/ was going on with Paiton's shooting. i am gonna guess maybe she has been having a tough stretch shooting in practice or something and is therefore hesitant. but she is DEFINITELY hesitant. last year when she shot 3s she just caught them and shot them like that was what she was supposed to do. yesterday she caught the ball and thought about it every time. zero rhythm!

maddie is not shooting with confidence either. i think she is doing almost everything else very well and she plays hard too, i really have no question about any of their effort! but for me i would take maddie and paiton and tell them that if i see you hesitate on your shot again i am pulling you straight out. i expect you to take those shots and your team needs you to take those shots time has proven that YOU ARE a good shooter so quit worrying about missing and your fg% or whatever you are thinking about and shoot the ball

i know we play a tough schedule and we dont want to dig holes but i would run some plays for both of them early in the next couple games and make sure they know they are expected to shoot the ball. i really do not want to see maddie go too long with this thinking about shooting thing!! she can OBVIOUSLY score. you cannot score almost 4000 points in HS if you dont have scoring talent!!

i really thought that was the big difference in this game. our D gave up too many GOOD looks especially from 3. and we did not shoot well from 3. has creighton ALWAYS guarded us this way? i do not remember them being SO physical previously, although i would guess playing in the big east they should be

but they really reminded me a lot of the way usd guards us. really kinda this whole just push and grab and bump them EVERY time and know the refs will never call all of it idea. that is always annoying and i did not think the refs were particularly good but i NEVER do

so you know, blah blah blah the other team was handsy and pushy and the refs werent good? whats new. those things seem to happen a lot. i dont see this team looking for excuses or using those as excuses. they did not play up to their standard and i expect they will figure it out and look much better

did you notice how much time we spent with Myah, Paiton, Tori, and one of Brooklyn or Kallie, plus one of Ellie, Maddie, or TImmer on the floor? i really liked that. i feel like being able to put that group on the floor could be useful but i wonder if it was something they WANT to do or it was just because of lacking 2 guards and maybe just feeling like they are using who they have??

but one thing about it that i think might need some work, IF they want to use it, when you have paiton and myah and kallie or brooklyn on the floor, you lose the advantage of Paiton being guarded by the center for the other team and being able to pull her out of the lane. along those lines, i am told that Brooklyn can shoot it VERY comfortably from the 3 pt line. she has shown ZERO inclination of that so far. she would have had at least one very good look last night but did not even consider it

i think these 3 freshman are and will be amazingly good!!! i think some of us are forgetting that paige made PLENTY of mistakes in the pre conference games last year also. i am NOT saying she was not good!!! she played great and she did a LOT of good things!!! but she also made plenty of mistakes. and obviously it took timmer most of the year until she REALLY took off and kind of found her top gears, so to speak. I think these two guards look excellent, but YES they do make some mistakes while they are trying to get their feet on the ground

Comment

Working...
                              X