WNIT GDT: Crimson Tide vs Jackrabbits 5pm Frost Arena Midco/ESPN3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Bama's quickness really seemed to bother her.
    yes i am going to give the credit to bama too!! they did do a really good job!! way way better than i expected with the height disadvantage!! and even when we posted they did a good job of either helping or pushing us off the spot or using their hands to make us uncomfortable

but as well as tylee and timmer can do in posting in those spots. tori is the one who should do it most naturally. i give the credit to bama!!

but i thought the 5 we had on the floor at the end today were the 5 who responded with the most toughness both physical and mental and i was thrilled to see them leaving LT on the floor and tori on the bench. but i sure hope tori responds to that and comes back strong

one other big thing

LT does a great job of going after boards but before she chases the ball, SHE PUTS A BODY ON SOMEONE!! that is how it needs to be done

paiton is such a fighter))!! she constantly does a good job defending girls often bigger!! and she often gets a good number of boards including today! i do not want to RIP paiton i really appreciate the many many good things she does!!! and i love her toughness!!!!

but when she is guarding a girl who is 4 or 5 inches taller like today she has to put a body on a body before going to the ball!!! maybe that means she will not get the board BUT that girl she guarded today was the only player they had who was a threat to get more than a rare O board. when paiton goes to the ball she brought HER closer to the ball and kept letting her get her hands on the ball

she needed to focus FIRST on keeping her away from the ball. late in the game LT boxed her out perfectly on one of their last shots. she made no effort to go after the ball but she put her body on the big girl and the smallest girl we had on the floor kept their biggest player from getting anywhere near the ball. we had an advantage at every other spot

that is the method that our MBB have used forever that is why our guards always board so well. because our OFTEN undersized posts like TONY and DOUG do an excellent job of keeping the big guys away from the ball and let our BIG guards take advantage of their size advantage and clean up the boards WITHOUT having to fight with the posts from the other team in order to do it

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

yes i am going to give the credit to bama too!! they did do a really good job!! way way better than i expected with the height disadvantage!! and even when we posted they did a good job of either helping or pushing us off the spot or using their hands to make us uncomfortable

but as well as tylee and timmer can do in posting in those spots. tori is the one who should do it most naturally. i give the credit to bama!!

but i thought the 5 we had on the floor at the end today were the 5 who responded with the most toughness both physical and mental and i was thrilled to see them leaving LT on the floor and tori on the bench. but i sure hope tori responds to that and comes back strong

one other big thing

LT does a great job of going after boards but before she chases the ball, SHE PUTS A BODY ON SOMEONE!! that is how it needs to be done

paiton is such a fighter))!! she constantly does a good job defending girls often bigger!! and she often gets a good number of boards including today! i do not want to RIP paiton i really appreciate the many many good things she does!!! and i love her toughness!!!!

but when she is guarding a girl who is 4 or 5 inches taller like today she has to put a body on a body before going to the ball!!! maybe that means she will not get the board BUT that girl she guarded today was the only player they had who was a threat to get more than a rare O board. when paiton goes to the ball she brought HER closer to the ball and kept letting her get her hands on the ball

she needed to focus FIRST on keeping her away from the ball. late in the game LT boxed her out perfectly on one of their last shots. she made no effort to go after the ball but she put her body on the big girl and the smallest girl we had on the floor kept their biggest player from getting anywhere near the ball. we had an advantage at every other spot

that is the method that our MBB have used forever that is why our guards always board so well. because our OFTEN undersized posts like TONY and DOUG do an excellent job of keeping the big guys away from the ball and let our BIG guards take advantage of their size advantage and clean up the boards WITHOUT having to fight with the posts from the other team in order to do it
      I call it rebound positioning, that's probably the wrong way to put it, we seem to end up too far under the basket where anyone can come in & get the rebound, because our positioning is bad.We can get more rebounds I firmly believe, but it takes work, and LT is a perfect example, she's undersized but because of her effort and technique,timing and mental alertness, she gets a lot of rebounds.She (LT) really helped us today, happy for her having a good game.This team has fight in them, but I hope they don't wait too long, like their backs against the wall, to use it, we did well today Bama is a good team, gave us a scare for sure.
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-28-2022, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

one other big thing

In a perfect world, Brooklyn Meyer comes in next season and is able to play major minutes, which would allow Paiton to play the 4, which would seem to be her natural position. If everyone was healthy, a lineup of Meyer, Burckhard, Selland, Timmer and Meyer would be tough to defend.

Comment

In a perfect world, Brooklyn Meyer comes in next season and is able to play major minutes, which would allow Paiton to play the 4, which would seem to be her natural position. If everyone was healthy, a lineup of Meyer, Burckhard, Selland, Timmer and Meyer would be tough to defend.
          Wow, Tori has one bad game and you are moving her to the bench. I do love bringing in what looks like a high quality big. I would love to see us add another 6'3"ish type player off the portal. We need to have a bit more length under the basket to body up these P5 type post players come tournament time.

On another note, Alabama has announced signing transfer Ryan Cobbins from NDSU. It will be interesting to see how a player that wasn't all conference in the Summit League fairs in the SEC.

Comment

well whoever it is, we will probably continue to be outsized in the post when we play p5 schools. they have to first look for a person to put a body on and then do that before going to the ball and leaving bigger players unchecked. if you look at the end of the game i believe on the last shot they took you can see LT clear as day finding their 6'4 post and checking her out of the lane and the girl had NO CHANCE to go for the O board

and maybe it does not seem like a big deal when we win the battle of the boards by 15 or something like i think we did yesterday, but any time you give up extra shots it gives a dangerous shooting team like bama to get warmed up

as far as the WHO goes, we have lots of good possibilities. i hope B meyer is everything we are hoping and more. from what my nw iowa friends tell me she is far more polished offensively than i thought she was. i am told she has very good perimeter skills including hitting 3s and being able to put the ball on the floor and take it to the hole

but i would not assume that she will remove tori from the first 5. tori has had a great year and i hope and expect she will only get better!! but she did not have a good day yesterday and that is really the last two tough games we have had in a row that she has been pretty silent. i hope she comes back with a vengence after finishing the game on the bench

i also feel like mesa still has the potential to really contribute. also hope MV returns to form next year. i would be willing to chalk this one up to just being a tough year and her not really being BAD, but we simply have a LOT of talent. i am guessing pretty much every other team in our conference at least 2 of mesa, maddie, and regan are starters and all 3 are playing a lot. as a matter of fact i bet all of them would find it easier to start at usd next year than they will for us. NOT that i want any of them to go there or anywhere. just saying that we have a lot of really good players on this team and that makes it tough for all of them to play

and next year we get 3 or 4 more. and i cant imagine how there could be room, but i am still kind of hoping some how that Ross from STM ends up in brookings

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
              Wow, Tori has one bad game and you are moving her to the bench. I do love bringing in what looks like a high quality big. I would love to see us add another 6'3"ish type player off the portal. We need to have a bit more length under the basket to body up these P5 type post players come tournament time.

On another note, Alabama has announced signing transfer Ryan Cobbins from NDSU. It will be interesting to see how a player that wasn't all conference in the Summit League fairs in the SEC.
              Wouldn't likely happen for awhile with Paige out for a decent part of the season and Brooklyn needing to earn playing time. But I do think Paiton's best position is at the 4 as long as you have a good big post. She's taken a pounding against bigger players for 3 years and her strength offensively seems to be facing the basket.

Comment

Coaches did shake hands. Jacks players were getting in the handshake line but the Bama players headed for the locker room and were met with a few boos.
                Yeah, as I mentioned, Midco went to commercials shortly after the coaches met.

I'm not sure how much to read into postgame behavior during a pandemic, particularly when 'bama dealt with game cancellation during the season. Sure, the argument could be made that their season was over, so it wouldn't impact subsequent scheduling, but they mentioned player having a young child, so they might be more proactive in limiting postgame interaction
                Last edited by jakejc795; 03-28-2022, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Bama's quickness really seemed to bother her.
                  I'd love to be able to isolate the extent that was due to their quickness versus that due to a few poorly-placed passes. There seemed to be multiple passes that required Nelson to "receive" them in awkward positions that then allowed the Tide players to rally and prevent Nelson from shooting it (or forced low-probability shot placement on rare occasions she had slight opening for a shot)

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I'd love to be able to isolate the extent that was due to their quickness versus that due to a few poorly-placed passes. There seemed to be multiple passes that required Nelson to "receive" them in awkward positions that then allowed the Tide players to rally and prevent Nelson from shooting it (or forced low-probability shot placement on rare occasions she had slight opening for a shot)
                    Nelson's hands aren't good enough.

Comment

Both host teams lose in the quarter-finals on the other side of the bracket. Seton Hall vs Middle Tenn State in the semi's. Has to be good news for the Jacks continuing to host if they make the finals.

Comment

Working...
                      X