2021 NCAA Tourney Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post

Oregon is down from when we played them but still very impressive. Erin Boley is as pure of a shooter as you’ll see. Didn’t realize how small USD was until watching this game. Yikes...
    The yote board was chirping how SDSU was a paper tiger without Selland, USeD is a paper tiger with everyone healthy besides Arens. They had zero good wins all year and made their hay running the score up on poor opponents.

USD still playing hard though and much better in the 2nd half.

Comment

Servyn has to have a record number of fall downs this game, some real classics

Comment

I think the top 3/4 of the top 25 teams in the NCAA have taken huge strides to separate themselves from those pesky mid- majors , do we have to up our game to stay up there with them and get stronger, quicker, taller, skilled recruits? USD getting embarrassed like this is driving this line of thinking into my head. At least we had a good excuse, losing Myah, hope I'm not over-reacting, but this is kind of shocking to witness USD getting beat this soundly. Hope they can turn it around the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          I think the top 3/4 of the top 25 teams in the NCAA have taken huge strides to separate themselves from those pesky mid- majors , do we have to up our game to stay up there with them and get stronger, quicker, taller, skilled recruits? USD getting embarrassed like this is driving this line of thinking into my head. At least we had a good excuse, losing Myah, hope I'm not over-reacting, but this is kind of shocking to witness USD getting beat this soundly. Hope they can turn it around the second half.
          Oregon is looking like the team that lost 5 of 6 now. Poor decisions by Oregon and USD playing much better. Oregon looks night and day 1st v 2nd half.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post

Oregon is looking like the team that lost 5 of 6 now. Poor decisions by Oregon and USD playing much better. Oregon looks night and day 1st v 2nd half.
            Pretty hard to come out with that same kind of intensity after you hold a team to 9 points in a half.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Pretty hard to come out with that same kind of intensity after you hold a team to 9 points in a half.
              Exactly, but Oregon is poor this half. Prince is lazy on D and fouls out. Hate to say it, but USD has played well this half. Oregon won't beat Georgia next round imo.

Comment

I've been thinking this for quite some time now, and that is, P-5 teams start out in Nov/Dec kind of slow, that's when they are vulnerable to upsets at times. Then they all get thrown into the "meat grinder" that is their Conference races, let's face it, they are playing against the best teams in the Nation, they have to play really hard to just survive it, they get better and better as the season goes on , if they don't suffer too many injuries. By March they are battle-hardened and ready for the riggers of the NCAA Tournament.

The Summit is just the opposite, Nov/Dec we play with them, the top p-5's if we can schedule them, maybe get a few upsets, and think we are on par, head back to Conf and play just hard enough to zip through to the end, hardly a "meat grinder" for the top couple teams, kinda cruise through it, frankly we kind of settle into a 3/4 way effort to win games, we regress. We need the Summit to challenge the top two teams a heck of a lot more to get whoever comes out on top a lot better prepared to battle with these teams in the P-5 who are used to it, conditioned for it, and have the ability to go out and destroy anyone not prepared as they are, simply put.

I think we (Summit team) have a distinct disadvantage heading into the NCAA Tournament, that's why we need a good seed or be fortunate enough to face a kind of team we can hold off for a win in the first round when we realize we have to really get after it, we have to get re-conditioned to playing all out for the win and not repeat it the 2nd game if we are so fortunate to advance. USD is a great example, they got steamrolled the first half, and it became too big of a hole to climb out of , although they gave it their all
                Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-22-2021, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Agree with Dr JD - To be sure, Strength of Schedule toughens the P-6 teams. And their size advantage (height & width) require a Macy Miller or a Cierra Duffy to force BigBig's to decide & move their feet. Then, opportunities open to score, pass, screen, and draw fouls. 2021/2022 recruiting classes have agility and explosiveness to challenge inside.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post

The yote board was chirping how SDSU was a paper tiger without Selland, USeD is a paper tiger with everyone healthy besides Arens. They had zero good wins all year and made their hay running the score up on poor opponents.

USD still playing hard though and much better in the 2nd half.
                    I agree with all of this.
                    If USD would have played the first half like the second half, they might of had a game similiar to the SDSU-Syracuse game (close through most of it and see what happens at the end). SDSU did have their shot blocked 14 times to USD's 6 but it seemed like USD had more than that.
                    Oregon knew enough to leave #42 open all night and she missed every shot. After she missed her first few, she was thinking about it too much and didn't want to shoot.

The player that surprised me was Lamb. She was 2-12 shooting. She had 1 assist, 1 TO, 2 steals and 0 rebounds.
                    Tylee was 1-8 shooting but she did have 8 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 TO,s.
                    Neither of them played up to what I am used to seeing from them and that hurt both their teams.

Comment

FIRST! i absolutely give credit to the coyote girls for NOT laying down or throwing in the towel after getting spanked HARD in first half. but come on people?? IF they would have play first half like second half??? REALLY?? what about if Oregon did not play the 2nd half like they were up 25? what it they did not play like hey gals we just held this team to NINE points for the half. i mean SURE usd could have played better in first half but they got OWNED and it could have been a lot lot worse

you are right about tylee 91. she had a rough shooting day but she still found a way to contribute. I WILL SAY that is a bit more normal for her. at least since she has been in college, maybe not in HS, ever since she has been here she has always found other ways to contribute no matter if her shot was going or not. Lamb on the other hand has been a shooter from day ONE, so i think she can be forgiven a bit if she was frustrated about having a BAD shooting day in maybe biggest game of her career. and maybe that did carry over a little into other parts of the game

as a coach i would definitely point it out to her and remind her that there are many ways to help your team win and just because you struggle in one area does not mean you stop doing other things. that being said i would feel a little bad for her, but i mean hey if this game is so traumatic for her that she never plays well in a big game again........ that doesnt exactly hurt the jacks)) just saying))

Comment

there is no comparison between the 2 performance. jacks missed first several buckets but they fought and competed the whole game aganst a team that is every bit as big as oregon. they were in the game almost until the very end and TRULY a couple different bounces or calls here or there OR we get just a few more shots to drop the outcome of that game easily flips. usd was never in the game PERIOD. and sure could aarens help? sure! but she is at best their 3rd best player and they have played the whole year without her.

jacks lost the best player in the conference FIVE games ago and still gave syracuse everything they could handle, while not getting a single break from the refs the entire game btw

also to the discussion of usd future. i do not doubt they will get more good players, but nobody on current roster shows any signs of being next korngable, lamb, or sjevin. sjervin will be very hard to replace. i think lamb will be too. korngable gives them most reason to hope, since she really did WAY more this year than she did in any other year. so perhaps they have more of her on the roster.

not saying at all that they dont have some good players, and definitely believe they will continue to be very good. AND it is good for us if they are good, helps us out in multipple ways!! but at moment it appears they could have a bit of a drop in talent after next year. and our drop after macy and maddie would have looked significantly different if myah did not get hurt bc i think she might have been POY last year minus the injuries

finally OF COURSE there is advantage for bigger schools playing bigger schools during conference season. i think it would be GREAT if we could get at least one good OOC game during the conference season, but i have ZERO worry about the jacks being ready for tourney play going forward. they are getting better all the time and i absolutey believe they will be pushing regularly for sweet 16 and beyond

gonzaga was once very much where jacks are they just continued improving and making a name and here they are. they were not held back by having weaker conference games! i think the jacks are on a very similar path

minus injury this year women would have probably been a 5 or 6 seed with REAL expectation of making final 16 and look how much some of us point out what big flaws they have. they are ONLY getting better and going nowhere but UP

men side look what ORU is doing- they finished FOURTH in this conference and the conference is only getting better and the men and women are only getting better. i worry about some of us a bit) are rest of lives going so well that you need to look for things to worry about? the jacks are good and gonna keep getting better)) smile more and enjoy the ride please)

Comment

Not a surprise to watch UConn completely destroy Syracuse by nearly 40. Freshman Paige Buekers from Hopkins MN is so much fun to watch play the point for UCONN and shows why she was the #1 recruit in the country and player of the year as a freshman. Almost glad we did not have to face UCONN without a Macy Miller type point guard or a healthy Myah.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            Not a surprise to watch UConn completely destroy Syracuse by nearly 40. Freshman Paige Buekers from Hopkins MN is so much fun to watch play the point for UCONN and shows why she was the #1 recruit in the country and player of the year as a freshman. Almost glad we did not have to face UCONN without a Macy Miller type point guard or a healthy Myah.
                            Maybe the biggest hype game of the Tournament coming up Bueckers vs Clark. I've got to watch this game. It was interesting already when someone asked Rebbeca Lobo how UConn would defend Clark she said, not an exact quote , " UConn would make Clark work hard for her points, at the same time not letting the rest of the team go off and helping her much, holding them in check too. They would do this by face guarding her and whatever side she would go to , the player there would HALF guard her assigned player AND Clark. Can you 1/2 guard ? I guess so, but I never heard of it before. I learned something today, it sounds like an interesting strategy to guard the opposing teams best high volume scoring machine . I'll see watching the game if it works well or not I guess.
                            Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-24-2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

i would say the normal translation of half guard is play good help defense. obviously be aware of her at all times without ignoring someone else and having some unexpected source go off for a career game and hurt you

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
                                i would say the normal translation of half guard is play good help defense. obviously be aware of her at all times without ignoring someone else and having some unexpected source go off for a career game and hurt you
                                Yeah , that makes sense, but the player 1/2 guarding, does she play like equal distance between the players, kind of passive quick reaction player to one or the other, depending on who poses the greatest threat, then who 1/2 guards her player if she leaves her position and goes after Clark, or is that part of it? Can they spring a quick trap out of this at times? Am I reading too much into this, I do that sometimes? It just seems UConn plays a pretty aggresive defense to me at times. Guess I'll watch the game and see how it works live, don't want to put you on the spot, so, you don't have to respond if you don't want to. Going to be a great game.

Comment

Working...
                                X