2021 NCAA Tourney Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Sounds like Syracuse will be getting at least one player back (Tiana Mangakahia, who missed all of last season due to stage II breast cancer and recent tournament games due to a knee injury) and possibly Priscilla Williams, who suffered a head injury in the quarterfinals
    If Syracuse is healthy, this could get ugly in a hurry. Will have to be the best shooting of the year from Greer and Theunick to have a chance.

Irwin will be defended very tightly and likely Syracuse makes her opportunities very difficult.

After Myah went down, just getting an at large has to be considered a successful season.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post

If Syracuse is healthy, this could get ugly in a hurry. Will have to be the best shooting of the year from Greer and Theunick to have a chance.

Irwin will be defended very tightly and likely Syracuse makes her opportunities very difficult.

After Myah went down, just getting an at large has to be considered a successful season.
      It may be a bit quick to run up the white flag. Myah leaves big shoes to fill, but it may the time AJ has a game plan to counter some of the gaps. Vlastuin could be a big addition as well as the Greer and Theuninck. Theisen and Blom may find a game to shine. As Irwin or Burkhard get attention, their ability to find the open player is more important. Stapleton has had some shining offensive moments this year as well in addition to her defense. Nelson could be recovering as another player to contribute. Nesheim always has hustle plays that show up every game. Hopefully we do not turn off the game in the first half! Go Jacks!!
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

It may be a bit quick to run up the white flag. Myah leaves big shoes to fill, but it may the time AJ has a game plan to counter some of the gaps. Vlastuin could be a big addition as well as the Greer and Theuninck. Theisen and Blom may find a game to shine. As Irwin or Burkhard get attention, their ability to find the open player is more important. Stapleton has had some shining offensive moments this year as well in addition to her defense. Nelson could be recovering as another player to contribute. Nesheim always has hustle plays that show up every game. Hopefully we do not turn off the game in the first half! Go Jacks!!
        Speaking of turning off ... ESPN rant -- I wish they would explain why ESPN+ access can't include ESPN2 when they're both already streaming. Just doesn't seem like much of "plus"

Comment

In what seems to be a major coincidence, just saw on the ESPN crawl that the Syracuse men play the other SDSU in their first round game.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

I still say it will come down to who wants it more. I would hope our ladies are pissed about the SLT and come out ready to play.

Comment

This would be a great year for the SL to get 2 first round wins. I think the Jacks will play Syracuse close and if so, get the win. I think the Coyotes have a punchers chance against Oregon as they lost their top point guard.

Let’s get 2 wins

Comment

Amen ,I'm with ya

Comment

Looking back over this unusual, COVID-driven season, I'm reminded about how fortunate we are to have Haley Greer decide to come to SDSU as a grad transfer from Colgate. Greer had a nice career at Colgate, finishing as team captain her senior year. Colgate is considered one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country and Colgate's conference, the Patriot League, is, after the Ivy League, the most academically selective conference in Division I sports. (I note Greer's bio states she's a grad of New Trier High School in Winnetka, IL -- that's one of the very top academic high schools in the country.)

It's nice to see Greer take her first trip to the Big Dance -- she's earned it. In several games this year, particularly early-season games, Greer deserves much credit for the win and the resulting season record that supported the Jackrabbit's at-large bid to the tourney and a #9 seed even though we didn't win the SLT.

Colgate is located in Hamilton, NY, about a hour's drive from Syracuse. Colgate played a regular-season game against Syracuse in Greer's sophomore season -- it wasn't pretty: Syracuse .79, Colgate 39. The following year, SDSU went to Syracuse in the second round of the tourney and left with a 75-64 win, advancing to the Sweet 16.

For the Jackrabbits' tourney opener, I'm predicting another Jackrabbit win over Syracuse with Greer scoring double figures. .
                  Last edited by JackJD; 03-18-2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    Looking back over this unusual, COVID-driven season, I'm reminded about how fortunate we are to have Haley Greer decide to come to SDSU as a grad transfer from Colgate. Greer had a nice career at Colgate, finishing as team captain her senior year. Colgate is considered one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country and Colgate's conference, the Patriot League, is, after the Ivy League, the most academically selective conference in Division I sports. (I note Greer's bio states she's a grad of New Trier High School in Winnetka, IL -- that's one of the very top academic high schools in the country.)

It's nice to see Greer take her first trip to the Big Dance -- she's earned it. In several games this year, particularly early-season games, Greer deserves much credit for the win and the resulting season record that supported the Jackrabbit's at-large bid to the tourney and a #9 seed even though we didn't win the SLT.

Colgate is located in Hamilton, NY, about a hour's drive from Syracuse. Colgate played a regular-season game against Syracuse in Greer's sophomore season -- it wasn't pretty: Syracuse .79, Colgate 39. The following year, SDSU went to Syracuse in the second round of the tourney and left with a 75-64 win, advancing to the Sweet 16.

For the Jackrabbits' tourney opener, I'm predicting another Jackrabbit win over Syracuse with Greer scoring double figures. .
                    I will readily admit I have cussed Greer under my breath many a time. But you are right, no way we beat ISU without her. I hadn’t really thought about it but she probably took a leap of faith to come here figuring this was her best shot at a NCAA tourney. So good for her, enjoy the moment!

Comment

I remember (barely) playing Baylor in a tournament setting a few yrs back (4,5 , ??) I believe in Nev, maybe Vegas? They had two really tall gals and we played them very competitively, is that the same year they won the National NCAA tournament championship? We did hit some timely three's in that game. So, it can be done, thinking back to that game. Maybe I'll find the box score and have more than sketchy details.

Good thing our scheduling records go way back (and roster) on Go Jacks team stats, yeah , it was only 3 yrs ago,2018-19 , south point thanksgiving shootout in Las Vegas, final score 66-72. Their two bigs were Lauren Cox AND Kahlani Brown, Baylor did have 9 blks on us, Brown was 6'7" and Cox was 6'4".Yes , they were National Champs that year, winning the Championship game over Notre Dame 82-81. We were 12-33 on 3 ptr's and Maddie Guebert was 6-9 , 66%. Needless to say, she played a big part in that game. That was our sweet 16 team also. Here's a replay of highlights if anyone is interested. Disclaimer, this was early in the year, not as intense a game as post season it seems, but Baylor was pushed a little. Good game, entertaining.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-19-2021, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        I think it's safe to assume that if we beat Syracuse it's likely that this or Theunick doing the same will need to happen. I'm pretty sure Syracuse has gone over the film against UNO for a blueprint on how to beat us and it likely includes forcing one of these two to score by limiting chances for out two main scoring threats. I wish I was as optimistic as you are. I hope to be proven wrong.

Comment

Just watched a couple Syracuse games highlights in the ACC Tournament on You tube, versus Fla St and one vs Louisville. One thing caught my eye, they like to use the underhand scoop layup shot ( at least Fla St did) a lot when they get by someone and drive to the hoop, I suppose that cuts down on being blocked from the tall players nearly every ACC team has. They have quick guards because they make the bigs seem a little slow of foot, they're probably not any slower than our bigs. Dana Evans for Louisville is a player, quick enough to lay back enough to bait the pass on the perimeter for the steal. Just kind of killing time. Syracuse seemed much taller than Louisville, maybe just the 6' 7" girl made it seem outta whack. Well, they opened up the weight rooms after much controversy and criticism. I suppose it's too late for our team to get any use of it now. Tomorrow's the day, GB,GB,GJ's!!!
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-20-2021, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Wow - USD has 9 points at the half. Missed their last 25 shots before half-time. Looks like Oregon doesn't miss their PG too much.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              Wow - USD has 9 points at the half. Missed their last 25 shots before half-time. Looks like Oregon doesn't miss their PG too much.
                              Oregon is down from when we played them but still very impressive. Erin Boley is as pure of a shooter as you’ll see. Didn’t realize how small USD was until watching this game. Yikes...

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post

Oregon is down from when we played them but still very impressive. Erin Boley is as pure of a shooter as you’ll see. Didn’t realize how small USD was until watching this game. Yikes...
                                It's not just size, but also foot speed and quickness. Sjerven hit her first two shots, and the Yotes went 1 for 30 after that.

Comment

Working...
                                X