Coach Johnston Needs 5 Year Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coach Johnston Needs 5 Year Contract

Do I make some dumb, quick, and questionable post yes, but I think there are a select few that make it there job to attack even when its not deserved...

As far as for AJ getting a 5 year contract, I could care less about years because generally with coaches a contract isn't worth the paper its printed on.. I believe though a buy-out and bonus for wins/conference champs/ncaa tourny apperences/wnit wins/ # of wins over a set ammount need to be put in place.

Comment

Good post JoeBoo!

Comment

Wow, I just heard this for the first time. I think i dun pissed myself. Sweet news.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue
          Wow, I just heard this for the first time.  I think i dun pissed myself.  Sweet news.
          Couldn't have said it better. Was golfing this afternoon and heard it from a couple Jacks fans. Made some calls, no one there, ran into Jackmd and he verified it too. This is great news. Hope all works out well for AJ...

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
            [quote author=jackrabit1 link=1174870818/75#87 date=1177619888]Okay, AJ's coming back... let's push the legislature to get rid of this STUPID one-year contract rule before we lose him again!

THERE IS NO SUCH RULE OR STATUTE! Who makes this stuff up?! The only limitation on the length of contracts issued by the state is simply that all funding is dependent on continuing appropriations from the legislature. Multiple contracts are signed EVERYDAY by state government. The only thing stopping a multiple year contract is the will of the Board of Regents, they can approve one if they want.[/quote]

Actually there is a BOR rule, sections 4.1 and 4.11 of the personnel policies do address the issue. In 4.1, coach is in the category of academically related positions that can also have a percentage of the appointment designated as academic and apply towards tenure rules. In 4.11, it say that contracts (for non-tenure/research positions, can't remember exact wording) can be either full or part time and designated for a specific term not to exceed one year. However, there is a process I believe by which the BOR could vote to allow a longer-term contract. I will admit that this is not a thorough search of all the BOR polices, and could be other rules that come into play. I've never looked in the statutes to see if this is required by the legislature or not.

It is my understanding that the current policy, either by law or policy, came about because quite some time ago a football coach that was going to be fired sued on the basis that he qualified as a tenured employee and that rules for a tenured employee were not followed. That prompted changes so that coaching does not count to tenure.

As always, my memory is not as good as it used to be, so someone else go look this all up.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
            X