Middle Tennessee State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Middle Tennessee State

Fabulous win, keep up the great work. In a year where the men's team has struggled the women have really carried the torch. I wish them continued success.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Found this on the Middle Tennessee site:

Women's Basketball - January 3, 2005
      Lady Raiders Drop Heartbreaker 58-56
      MT Media Relations

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Middle Tennessee women's basketball (7-5) lost a heartbreaker 58-56 to South Dakota State (11-4) Monday at the Murphy Center.

The Lady Raiders had a chance to tie the game in the final three seconds, but couldn't convert on two chances under the basket. Senior guard Patrice Holmes missed a jumper with three seconds to go, but the Lady Raiders were still alive when sophomore Chrissy Givens snagged the rebound. Givens launched a jumper in the final second of the game, but it was off the mark and South Dakota State's Brooke Dickmeyer sealed the Lady Raider's fate with the rebound as the buzzer sounded.

Middle Tennessee tied the game off a Krystle Horton lay-up with 1:46 remaining in the game. Horton came down and stole the ball from South Dakota State's Sarita DeBoer to give the Lady Raiders a chance to take the lead. A missed three-pointer by Holmes and a Megan Vogel rebound gave the ball back to the Jackrabbits. South Dakota State had three chances at a bucket and the third time was the charm as DeBoer sank a jumper to give South Dakota State the lead and eventual win.

Middle Tennessee's inability to connect on free throws was a detriment to the Lady Raiders as the team was 8-of-17 from the charity stripe for 47.1 percent. The team also had 23 turnovers in the game and was pounded on the board and only able to grab 28 to South Dakota State's 43.

Tia Stovall led the Lady Raiders with 19 points and eight rebounds. Holmes added 14 points and just missed a double-double with nine rebounds. Horton tacked on 11 points and had four steals.

Middle Tennessee returns to action on Thursday when the Lady Raiders host Xavier. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. in the Murphy Center.

NOTES:

STOVALL FACTOR: Junior Tia Stovall continues to shine as she led the Lady Raiders with 19 points against South Dakota State. It was the fifth consecutive game the Estill Springs, Tenn. native has scored in double figures.

INSIDE THE LINES: Middle Tennessee had a pair of streaks snapped against South Dakota State as the team's three-game winning streak and four-game home winning streak were each erased with the loss ... The Lady Raiders are now 1-3 when trailing at the half ... Ditte Jakobsen's four assists are a career-high ... Krystle Horton tied her career-high with four assists ... Middle Tennessee recorded its second lowest rebounding output of the season with 28 against South Dakota State.

QUOTES:

HEAD COACH STEPHANY SMITH: "I knew that South Dakota State was a very strong rebounding team because statistically they have been. I didn't expect it to be this strong. They were absolutely phenomenal on the boards and play so hard non-stop all over the floor, not just on the boards."

"Shooting 47 percent is not going to win you many basketball games. All we had to do was make three more, and it was a little bit of everybody missing those free throws. Take care of the ball a little bit better. Krystle Horton had eight turnovers and she just has to get better taking care of the basketball."

"Obviously I am disappointed in the loss, because we want to win every game we play. Things that were glaringly obvious to me were we didn't keep them off the offensive boards, didn't get offensive boards ourselves, didn't make free throws and didn't take care of the basketball."

JUNIOR FORWARD TIA STOVALL: "South Dakota wasn't really that much taller or bigger than us but they were really strong and we knew they were going to be like that. A positive from tonight is that we have learned we have to get better on taking care of the basketball and boxing out. I really don't think there was anything negative about the game other than the loss because you can learn from every mistake you make."

Comment

Highlights from the Argus:

Jacks notch victory

From staff reports

published: 1/4/2005

DeBoer's shot beats Middle Tennessee

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Sarita DeBoer put back a Shannon Schlagel miss with 23 seconds remaining for the winning basket as South Dakota State held on for a 58-56 win over Middle Tennessee State.

The Jacks escaped with the victory when a shot by Patrice Holmes missed, as did a putback attempt by Chrissy Givens as time expired.

Schlagel had 26 points, hitting 10 of 15 shots, to lead the way for the Jacks (11-4), who picked up their fifth victory against a Division I team. She added seven rebounds and five steals. DeBoer had 15 points, seven rebounds and three blocks.

Middle Tennessee State (7-5) was among the preseason favorites to win the Sun Belt Conference East Division, and they were clearly impressed with the play of SDSU.

"We knew they were a very strong rebounding team, but I didn't expect that," MTSU coach Stephany Smith said. "They've played some very good teams, and they've played some Division II and NAIA teams, so sometimes stats can be skewed. But they were phenomenal tonight." . . .

The Jacks had a 43-28 rebounding advantage. SDSU was 22 of 55 from the field, 40 percent, while MTSU was 23 of 53 for 43 percent. They were just 8 of 17 from the line.

SDSU will play Alabama Wednesday. Alabama beat Middle Tennessee 80-66 earlier this year.

The Jackrabbits' next home game is Jan. 22 against North Dakota State, another new Division I program.

Go State! ;D

Comment

After last nights win SDSU has moved up to # 80 in the national rankings. Tomorrow nights opponent, Alabama is #49.

Comment

I was listening to the MTSU audio feed last night . . . among other things, their coach said SDSU was "ten times the team that Cincinatti was" (their last opponent, who they beat 64-47).

Any way you cut it, this was a big time win for the Lady Jacks.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
            X