Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin (Women)

Great job ladies. They make us all proud, keep up the good work. ;D
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I wonder how long some of these bigger schools are going to be calling losses to SDSU upsets?

Great job ladies.

Comment

Originally posted by were-rabbit
        I admit i dont know much about bb. I have a question for anyone. This is about the NIT. Would they invite the jackrabbits even though they didnt play any top 25 teams?   If the jacks record is great will they look at that instead. Any thoughts

Yes the NIT is for teams that didn't make it into the NCAA tournament. Your record will be the biggest factor, as long as they are over DI school should ba ll that matter.

Comment

Milwaukee,
          Any waves in Wisconsin about the women's win versus the Badgers last night. Is Women's basketball a big deal there, or do you get bombarded by the successes of UW, UWM, and Marquette on the men's side?
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Aside from a few lawschool friends, I haven't heard much. The women's Badger team isn't very high profile. However, highlights from the game was on all of the news stations, so I'm sure there were a ton of people last night trying to figure out who SDSU is and why are they playing all of the Wisconsin teams.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
              Aside from a few lawschool friends, I haven't heard much.  The women's Badger team isn't very high profile.  However, highlights from the game was on all of the news stations, so I'm sure there were a ton of people last night trying to figure out who SDSU is and why are they playing all of the Wisconsin teams.

Good take on Milwaukee and the better populated parts to the east of South Dakota. To some people in Chicago, going to Iowa City is a long trip and if you are going to South Dakota, they wonder whats wrong with you and why in the world would you go there?  We have a long ways to go in image making throughout the USA.

Its good we did get publicity on the Milwaukee Stations, and boy Aaron has the program going in the right direction. I think the big difference in the SDSU men and women programs, when considering only the transition period, is that the women had leadership that was carryover from the D2 national champs team. This leadership has made a big difference. Shannon Schlegal and Heather Seiler as examples. Shannon of course has graduated but her no fear demeanor was big last year.

The men never had any kind of a carryover IMO. We lost Cervney and a bunch others all at one time, left the talent cupboard very bare. Also have too many medical redshirts caught up with us, and limited us in recruiting for D1. Its no wonder there is a big difference in progress. I do think Coach Nagy will have back on track soon.

Comment

BIG BIG Win for the women! This helps recruiting tremendously as Wisconsin and Minnesota continues to be a good source of talent for us. I'm sure the Wisconsin natives were tickled to death to beat the Badgers. Anytime we can knock off a team from a major conference like the Big 10 it's a huge boost for the program.

Comment

Agree with SDSUFAN, but have one additional thought to add: the spread in NCAA D-1 women's basketball is not as great as the spread on the men's side. Part is the shorter history period, part is the fact that in lots of places around the country, women's basketball isn't as big as it is in the midwest. We knew going in that our women's teams (includes volleyball) would be more competitive right out of the chute.
                  How competitive has been impressive. But SDSUFAN's other point is well taken. Past teams thrived on senior leadership who had come up through the system. The cupboard was bare: a number of senior's graduated, Matt Jones found it impossible to come back, Andy Moeller transferred, and several other "D-1" recruits didn't stick with it.
                  So Steve Holdren, who is a sophomore (and I hope will get his medical and be a sophomore next year), along with junior Ben Beran, are our first two D-1 seniors and they're a year or two short on stepping into that role.
                  IMO Nagy's doing it right...trying to win with what he has, trying to put the diseparate players together who are new to the system and each other...and continuing to redshirt his recruits, so that we will get better as we near the end of the transition.
                  One footnote on Andy Kleinjan: he has been hurt almost all of the time his first couple of years and never able to really play near his best. One of the coaches said earlier this year that he's almost 100% this year and will play a lot...but I think the thing that has hurt him is that when he has come in, he's really not been able to produce on the offensive side, and that limits his minutes and his ability to improve. Hopefully, it will all get better for him.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                    Milwaukee,
                    Any waves in Wisconsin about the women's win versus the Badgers last night.  Is Women's basketball a big deal there, or do you get bombarded by the successes of UW, UWM, and Marquette on the men's side?

I seem to recall that the Badgers had some good women's teams about 5-6 years ago. They had some big border battles with the Minnesota women with some big attendance at the games.

Comment

Way to Lady Jacks. You are making a name for yourselves in the DI ranks to be sure. I feel bad for you not being eligible for the Post deason yet. I am sure you would do quite well if you could participate. Keep up the good work. We are so proud of the way you are playing.

Comment

I have (through my beautiful and talented wife) some connections into the Tennessee Lady Vols program. I'll see what I can do about planting an idea there about playing the Jackrabbits some time in the future. Or at least letting them know that we're out there and playing top-level competition. Although I'm sure last year's win at Alabama got their attention, and another win vs. Alabama this year certainly would, too.

It doesn't get bigger in women's basketball than Pat Summitt's Lady Vols. I'm pretty sure our wbb team wouldn't back down (even if Candace Parker dunked over them a couple of times . . . )
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                        X