Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This years team compared to championship team

Originally posted by juice
    Your championship team was loaded, with the likes of Pater, Schlagel, Seiler, and Davis.  You guys obviously have a great team now as well, but I would say Vogel is the only player you have right now that would start on your championship team.
    I know what AJ has said, but I wouldn't expect him to say anything else.  I'm sure his current players wouldn't like hearing him say "Ya, you're good, but my old teams were better."
    I think a lot of people want to think the D2 national championship team was as good as our current team. I think you can argue things either way. However, I can't recommend using the argument to support a belief that USD or UND can compete at the DI level like SDSU is this year. That would be foolish. Both programs will need to continue to elevate their level of talent and commitment to compete at the DI level. Ask Amy Ruley or Coach Nagy what will happen if they don't.

I'm not sure which team is better but AJ is adamant that the current team is much more talented up and down the roster.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Jackmd has said it all, I could not agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
        [quote author=juice link=1171146263/0#12 date=1171298850]Your championship team was loaded, with the likes of Pater, Schlagel, Seiler, and Davis.  You guys obviously have a great team now as well, but I would say Vogel is the only player you have right now that would start on your championship team.
        I know what AJ has said, but I wouldn't expect him to say anything else.  I'm sure his current players wouldn't like hearing him say "Ya, you're good, but my old teams were better."
        Yeah, but all you get to watch is usd2 bball and that's why they go to usd2, to get as far away from basketball as they can. Our current team is every bit as good as the championship team. All our players a legitimate D! players. Look at who we have played and the results. The facts bear this out.[/quote]

I'm not saying you don't have DI players on your roster right now. Don't be so quick to jump on the defensive. Your championship team also had a bunch of players with DI level talent. Saying your Championship team was better is not a knock at all on your current team, because they are great as well.

Comment

[quote author=1bunnies link=1171146263/0#14 date=1171300349][quote author=juice link=1171146263/0#12 date=1171298850]Your championship team was loaded, with the likes of Pater, Schlagel, Seiler, and Davis.  You guys obviously have a great team now as well, but I would say Vogel is the only player you have right now that would start on your championship team.
          Yeah, but all you get to watch is usd2 bball and that's why they go to usd2, to get as far away from basketball as they can. Our current team is every bit as good as the championship team. All our players a legitimate D! players. Look at who we have played and the results. The facts bear this out.[/quote]

I'm not saying you don't have DI players on your roster right now. Don't be so quick to jump on the defensive.  Your championship team also had a bunch of players with DI level talent.  Saying your Championship team was better is not a knock at all on your current team, because they are great as well.  
          [/quote]
          Don't fall over. Your backpeddling pretty fast. You said Vogel was the only D1 player we have right now. Now you are saying that the championship team had a lot of D1 players. I will agree with that. this years team also has many D1 caliber players. When the college ball you watch is in Vermillion you will not see D1 caliber play. You will start to soon and I'm quite sure you folks are not ready for it...

Comment

It is clear that many of the USD faithful want to believe that they have already seen what D-I looks like.  They want to believe that our D-II National Championship Team is every bit as good as our current team.  If there premise were true then they would already know that they could compete at the D-I level.  Their team the year we won the D-II National Championship was a good D-II team and they were able to compete with us.  However, that is not the reality.

It is the same logic that some USD fans use when they run around boasting that their football team this year could beat the Jackrabbits (don't let the fact that Central Arkansas shut you out change your opinion).

The answer is very simple.  You want to see what the future holds, you want to see D-I Basketball,  just take a trip up North.  You can watch the teams for yourselves.  Making comparisons on how we are doing now in D-I vs. how our teams looked that last time you saw them in D-II is foolhardy.

Asserting that this year’s Jackrabbits wouldn't run away with the NCC, boarders on the ridiculous.  USD should prepare themselves for the challenges that lay ahead for them rather then assert that they are already playing at the D-I level.  This is a classic case of whistling past the graveyard.

Go State!  

Comment

I have to agree with Juice and I am a season ticket  holder and go to all the games from Sioux Falls and the national championship team would start Seiler,  Davis, Pater, Schagel with Vogel!  Vogel would be the only starter FROM THIS YEARS TEAM!

Also, the postiiton has been taken TO  look how we did aganist D1 when they played.  We played those games to start the season.  the very frist games of the year and we competed but did not win.  We have also competed this yeaR and won!

USC: overrated  great win for the team and program
              Middle Tenn:  great win
              Missouri, marquette, Baylor, Western kentucky, Arkansas St  all thumped us!
              Arkansas St:  bad lose!

My pt is we have lost every game outside of USC, Middle Tenn. that we would have been favored to lose!

The schedule we played in 2004-2005  Schagel and Seiler  Vogel, Sarita  was a tougher schedule top to bottom than this years schedule and they went 21-7 that year!  WITHOUT PATER!

This independent conference schedule is a joke and USD, St. Cloud, UND would all beat them.   They are horrible!

We have a ton of talent right now and when the NCC was at the top of their game those years several of them could beat D1 schools on a consistent basis fi they played them on a consistent basis

women's basketball is 10 great teams and 60 good teams and 260 bad teams

Comment

I'm not sure I would go as far to the extremes in support of either stance. Doesn't matter who would start for which team when. Having what you perceive to be more talented players on team doesn't necessarily make that team better.

To argue that losses by one team are bad while losses by another team are related to the timing on the schedule is a very weak argument and not defendable. Not sure anyone here is qualified to decide who would have played on what team.

We currently have a strong program built upon a foundation firmly established during our last several years at DII. A lot of credit has been given to the traditional DII powers that forced us to improve our program, NDSU and UND. Don't discredit the current crop of players or tarnish the previous champions. They are all a part of the same program. Our program at our institution.

AJ thinks this is his best team yet and defends that stance with his own observations. That fact is all I need.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                  I'm not sure I would go as far to the extremes in support of either stance.  Doesn't matter who would start for which team when.  Having what you perceive to be more talented players on  team doesn't necessarily make that team better.  

To argue that losses by one team are bad while losses by another team are related to the timing on the schedule is a very weak argument and not defendable.  Not sure anyone here is qualified to decide who would have played on what team.

We currently have a strong program built upon a foundation firmly established during our last several years at DII.  A lot of credit has been given to the traditional DII powers that forced us to improve our program, NDSU and UND.  Don't discredit the current crop of players or tarnish the previous champions.  They are all a part of the same program.  Our program at our institution.

AJ thinks this is his best team yet and defends that stance with his own observations.  That fact is all I need.
                  Here here. I personally was speaking to the motivation of our friends from the South and believe that each is entitled to there own opinion. I too will have to defer to AJ as he has seen and forgotten more about our program and Women’s Basketball at both the D-II and D-I level, then I will ever know. One thing is for sure SDSU plays Women's Basketball at a very high level, in the past, present, and hopefully in the future.

Final thought we have a team now that is poised to make a run in the WNIT, it will be fun to watch SDSU compete in the post season at the D-I level! 8-)

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                    [quote author=juice link=1171146263/15#17 date=1171309122][quote author=1bunnies link=1171146263/0#14 date=1171300349][quote author=juice link=1171146263/0#12 date=1171298850]Your championship team was loaded, with the likes of Pater, Schlagel, Seiler, and Davis.  You guys obviously have a great team now as well, but I would say Vogel is the only player you have right now that would start on your championship team.

I'm not saying you don't have DI players on your roster right now. Don't be so quick to jump on the defensive.  Your championship team also had a bunch of players with DI level talent.  Saying your Championship team was better is not a knock at all on your current team, because they are great as well.  
                    [/quote]
                    Don't fall over. Your backpeddling pretty fast. You said Vogel was the only D1 player we have right now. Now you are saying that the championship team had a lot of D1 players. I will agree with that. this years team also has many D1 caliber players. When the college ball you watch is in Vermillion you will not see D1 caliber play. You will start to soon and I'm quite sure you folks are not ready for it...[/quote]

Maybe you need to go back and read my posts again, because you are incorrectly stating them. I never said Vogel is your only DI player right now. I said she is the only player you currently have that would start on your championship team. I also said you had many DI level players on your championship team, so the fact that Vogel is the only player you have now that would start for them, doesn't mean she is the only DI level player that you have.

For some reason many State fans take it as a slap in the face for someone to call their championship team great and to say they are even better than their current team. They are both SDSU's teams, so it's certainly not meant as an insult.

I think some people also seem to think that when I say State's Championship team, what I'm really saying is USD's 2006-07 team. Because for some reason, whenever I say State's championship team was better, State fans want to argue that USD would do terrible with the schedule that State is playing this year. Well heck, that's not even the debate. I'm not comparing USD's team this year to SDSU's team this year, so I don't know why USD would even come up in the debate. The only teams I'm comparing are SDSU's championship team, to their current team. I would never expect AJ to publicly admit that the championship team was better, that would be ridiculous of him if he did.

Comment

Dear Juice,

Nobody cares. Take your luggage over to the coyote board

Comment

You know, I just need to add one more thing. This whole thread is kind of weird. Not because of anything in it, but the timing of it. We usually see posts like this in July when not much is going on, rather then in the middle of a season. It seems all the more strange because our team is on the cusp of their first D-I post season appearance, but perhaps that is the reason that people want to compare and contrast the two teams in question.

I am in no way making any sort of judgment about this thread other then to say the timing seem a little odd to me. Carry on.

Go State!

Comment

Juice,

Why don't you spend the next few decades on the coyote board and push for a change of school colors. Go for green. You yotes folks are green with envy wanting to be like SDSU. Our gals have a National Championship and made the jump to D1. The yotes gals will flop. Reasons: weak players, weak leadership, and very weak coaching.

Comment

I have to come to Juice's defense here (God did I just type that), but all he said is that Megan would be the only STARTER on [s]the[/s] that Jacks team. I'm not sure how that brought in the current USD team, but really, how will any of us ever be able to say definitively one way or the other. This thread must have gotten really silly if I am defending Juice.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                              You know, I just need to add one more thing.  This whole thread is kind of weird.  Not because of anything in it, but the timing of it.  We usually see posts like this in July when not much is going on, rather then in the middle of a season.  It seems all the more strange because our team is on the cusp of their first D-I post season appearance, but perhaps that is the reason that people want to compare and contrast the two teams in question.

I am in no way making any sort of judgment about this thread other then to say the timing seem a little odd to me.  Carry on.

Go State!  

Yeah...I took it out of what the USD coach said about the Jackrabbits (or maybe said) and I remembered what one of my friends told me about playing against both teams. He stated that this team is way better than any team he's ever played against. And he played against the Championship team and this years team. Even at the beginning of the season, when he was playing with them, he said they were better. (And they are night and day better than they were at the beginning...and that is 100% correct)

Comment

Your championship team was loaded, with the likes of Pater, Schlagel, Seiler, and Davis.  You guys obviously have a great team now as well, but I would say Vogel is the only player you have right now that would start on your championship team.
                                You are making the mistake that a lot of fans make (particularly the ones who didn't want us to go D1), and that is you are trying to compare apples and oranges. The players that we are able to recruit as a D1 school provides us with the opportunity to get a higher level of recruit...and Megan Vogel is just one of the outstanding examples...but she's the only four-year player you can compare, the rest will continue to prove their excellence for one to three years!

It would also be fair to say that some of the players on the national championship team would have been better players if they had had the opportunity to play against the teams we are now playing against...read Megan Vogel's article in the Argus for more on that viewpoint.

Finally...it doesn't matter. The national championship team was a great team and we are proud of them and feel lucky to have been able to experience the season and the championship!!! Comparing the teams is a personal viewpoint...but while there is no way of documenting the differences now and then, I think the empirical data of the success of this team and the logic of why D1 is harder and more competitive, and why we are seeing success in that more-competitive atmosphere, proves our team this year is a TRUE D-1 successful women's basketball team.

Comment

Working...
                                X