This years team compared to championship team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This years team compared to championship team

I wasn't a student here at SDSU when they won and I've never seen them play at all so I really couldn't compare this years team to the championship team. But I was talking to one of my friends who was a male practice player for about 4 or 5 years and he scrimmaged those girls and this years team during first semester. He made a comment to me about a month into the season about how this is the best team that he has scrimmaged since being here. He's a decent judge of talent so I would trust what he says. But there has been a lot of talk comparing this years team to the championship team and I remembered what he had said. Just thinking about it with what the USD coach said and DII-DI etc....

I didn't know where to put this so I just started another topic....

Re: This years team compared to championship team

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
    I wasn't a student here at SDSU when they won and I've never seen them play at all so I really couldn't compare this years team to the championship team. But I was talking to one of my friends who was a male practice player for about 4 or 5 years and he scrimmaged those girls and this years team during first semester. He made a comment to me about a month into the season about how this is the best team that he has scrimmaged since being here. He's a decent judge of talent so I would trust what he says. But there has been a lot of talk comparing this years team to the championship team and I remembered what he had said. Just thinking about it with what the USD coach said and DII-DI etc....

I didn't know where to put this so I just started another topic....
    AJ has spoken about this several times. First, he always points out that it doesn't matter in his mind but he thinks this years team is better than any previous team he has coached. He doesn't think those DII teams could have competed against the faster, more athletic DI players. He mentions that the 2003 team played a couple of exhibition games (Colorado and Iowa I think, I could be wrong). I believe both games were blowouts not in favor of SDSU. Thats what AJ has said.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

And he would know more about it than me, you, my friend, and the coach down south....

Comment

The national championship team had a way better inside game than we do now. You also have to remember that they had the top three scorers in SDSU history. Vogel is truly the only legit DI player right now. We are getting more. i beleive the national championship team would beat us today.

We have a good team now but that team was special and laoded with leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks r us
          The national championship team had a way better inside game than we do now.  You also have to remember that they had the top three scorers in SDSU history.  Vogel is truly the only legit DI player right now.  We are getting more.   i beleive the national championship team would beat us today.

I disagree on just about every point you make, other than the factual information you provided.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
            [quote author=jacks r us link=1171146263/0#3 date=1171259362]The national championship team had a way better inside game than we do now.  You also have to remember that they had the top three scorers in SDSU history.  Vogel is truly the only legit DI player right now.  We are getting more.   i beleive the national championship team would beat us today.

I disagree on just about every point you make, other than the factual information you provided.[/quote]
            I concur. The good teams we have had the last five years have all been outstanding. However when looking at the D-2 days, we would play exibition games against D-1 and they didn't always do so great. Now though, our womens team has a had great success against those teams. Before with Pater, she would be dominate the post, and the guards play and shooting was good, but with this team, they have a better overall team D, better overall shooters and depth. I have been a student here sense 2000 so i have seen many of the teams personally, and although they are all good. This teams sucsess is by far the most impressive.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

ogel is truly the only legit DI player right now.
              Huh?

If a big, strong player like Jennifer Warkenthien who can run the floor, handle the ball, score from inside and outside, rebound (with the same 5.7 per game average as Vogel), and defend underneath and on the perimeter isn't a D1 player, who is?

Several of the coaches we have faced this year mentioned our team's athleticism and strength. Andrea Verdegan hasn't been out-quicked this year by any point guard I have seen. Players like Maria Boever aren't being outmuscled underneath. Courtney Grimsrud is slim, but she blocks a lot of shots and gets an awful lot of rebounds for a "D2 player" competing against D1 competition.

With an 16-5 record against D1 teams (18-5 overall), isn't it a bit silly to be saying most of our players aren't D1 players?
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Vogel is truly the only legit DI player right now.  

Have you seen the Jacks play? Pretty sure we wouldn't be one of the top teams in DI with only 1 DI player.
                If so, I guess we'll be in trouble next year.

Comment

This is one of those useless comparisons but what the heck!

The 2007 team is bigger, stronger, faster, deeper, and better coached! Hey, I think AJ and his staff are improving every year!

The only place that the 2003 Championship team might have an edge would be in experience. The team this year is young but super athletic!

My prediction is that next year's team will be even better with all of the young players having a year under the belt. You can't replace Vogel but her impact will be felt on this program for years to come and the players will all be much better for being around her this year!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                    This is one of those useless comparisons but what the heck!

The 2007 team is bigger, stronger, faster, deeper, and better coached!  Hey, I think AJ and his staff are improving every year!

The only place that the 2003 Championship team might have an edge would be in experience.  The team this year is young but super athletic!

My prediction is that next year's team will be even better with all of the young players having a year under the belt.  You can't replace Vogel but her impact will be felt on this program for years to come and the players will all be much better for being around her this year!

SUPERBUNNY
                    Amen to that SuperBunny! I agree that next year and the year after we are going to be even better than this year. It is not a question whether we will miss Vogel, it is how well we repond and how well the current players find their roles after her departure. In two years...the sky is the limit!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Rabbit
                      [quote author=jacks r us link=1171146263/0#3 date=1171259362]Vogel is truly the only legit DI player right now.  

Have you seen the Jacks play? Pretty sure we wouldn't be one of the top teams in DI with only 1 DI player.
                      If so, I guess we'll be in trouble next year.[/quote]

You tooks the words right out of my mouth. Jack r us, you have to leave the radio and go out and see them play. If you have been going to games, stop visiting with your neighbor in the stands and watch the game. You don't play and beat the teams that we have with only 1 legit D1 player. We have legit D1 team. The record speaks for itself. Go Jacks.

Comment

Terry had a story about life after Vogel:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...44/1002/SPORTS

After Vogel, who is SDSU's next big player?

By Terry Vandrovec
                        tvandrovec@argusleader.com
                        Published: February 11, 2007

Jennifer Johnson played her last basketball game for South Dakota State in 1985 and, for the next 18 years, she topped the school's career scoring list with 1,676 points.

But she's been surpassed four times in the past five years by, in order, Melissa Pater (1,747), Brenda Davis (1,688), Shannon Schlagel (1,887) and, on Thursday, Megan Vogel (1,728).

If the 5-foot-11 Vogel maintains her season scoring average over the final six regular-season games, she will pass Pater, but the Jackrabbits need to make a deep run in the WNIT to give her a shot at Schlagel.

With Vogel a senior, the two key questions for SDSU's future are: Can anyone keep that streak going and who are they?

Of course, equalling Vogel's accomplishments is a tall challenge.

Vogel has a higher career scoring average (15.4 per game) than Schlagel, Pater or Davis. She also ranks first in school history in career free throws (454), fourth in 3-pointers (180) and seventh in rebounding (742).

"I'm not sure we've had anybody who can do quite that much and we've had some good ones," Jacks coach Aaron Johnston said of Vogel's versatility. "There's no question she's been as good as any of those players. I'd be the first one to tell you that's what we want and that's what all the great players want. They don't want to hang on to those spots. They want to challenge somebody else to try to beat them. Nobody's trying to get their name up on a mountain."

So, with 10 underclassmen on the current roster, who's next? . . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Your championship team was loaded, with the likes of Pater, Schlagel, Seiler, and Davis. You guys obviously have a great team now as well, but I would say Vogel is the only player you have right now that would start on your championship team.
                          I know what AJ has said, but I wouldn't expect him to say anything else. I'm sure his current players wouldn't like hearing him say "Ya, you're good, but my old teams were better."

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                            Your championship team was loaded, with the likes of Pater, Schlagel, Seiler, and Davis.  You guys obviously have a great team now as well, but I would say Vogel is the only player you have right now that would start on your championship team.
                            I know what AJ has said, but I wouldn't expect him to say anything else.  I'm sure his current players wouldn't like hearing him say "Ya, you're good, but my old teams were better."

So....what you're saying is, that if Vogel is the only player that would start on the Championship team from this year's team, that would have to mean that that Championship team would have an RPI in the top ten in the country in D-I??  Considering this year's team is at 30 currently IN D-I, NOT D-II!!!  We don't play D-II ball up here anymore there Juicey, they play that down south.

Crack is wack.
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                              Your championship team was loaded, with the likes of Pater, Schlagel, Seiler, and Davis.  You guys obviously have a great team now as well, but I would say Vogel is the only player you have right now that would start on your championship team.
                              I know what AJ has said, but I wouldn't expect him to say anything else.  I'm sure his current players wouldn't like hearing him say "Ya, you're good, but my old teams were better."
                              Yeah, but all you get to watch is usd2 bball and that's why they go to usd2, to get as far away from basketball as they can. Our current team is every bit as good as the championship team. All our players a legitimate D! players. Look at who we have played and the results. The facts bear this out.

Comment

Working...
                              X