Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVSU

I'll just toss out a couple of things:

First, college teams aren't "on" every night. They're still made up on 18- to 23-year olds for the most part, after all. Even pro basketball teams have off nights. Great teams at any level figure out ways to win even when they're having off nights.

Second, it might just be that either UVSC has figured out a way to play SDSU in a way that few other teams have, or they just match up with us very well, or, if you don't want to give them even that much credit, they've just managed to twice this season get lucky (but not quite lucky enough) when they played us.

A win's a win. On to Bison Week II!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
      I'll just toss out a couple of things:

First, college teams aren't "on" every night.   They're still made up on 18- to 23-year olds for the most part, after all.  Even pro basketball teams have off nights.  Great teams at any level figure out ways to win even when they're having off nights.

Second, it might just be that either UVSC has figured out a way to play SDSU in a way that few other teams have, or they just match up with us very well, or, if you don't want to give them even that much credit, they've just managed to twice this season get lucky (but not quite lucky enough) when they played us.

A win's a win.  On to Bison Week II!
      As a guy who has played BB for 25 plus years I won't disagree with any of that. Seth Greenburg (sp?) from Virginia Tech was asked about their inconsistent season, wins over UNC twice, Duke at Cameron and losses to Western Mich. and several other "lesser" teams. He reiterated that his players are 18, 19, 20 years old and a problem with a girlfriend/boyfriend, family, etc.. can distract them much more easily than someone with more experience. I think those of us who have a little experience in life would agree.

I mean no more than to say this team is not invincible even against teams that seem to be overmatched. Nothing should be taken for granted, especially a post-season bid.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
        I don't think we could shoot worse or play with less intensity at the start of a game.  Vogel didn't look like one of the best ever last night.  Doesn't mean she isn't just means she didn't have her game last night.  I sat with a friend who is a former college FB and BB player.  He hadn't seen SDSU since our DII teams and I can tell you he was not impressed with the performance last night.  A win is a win but we have to play a lot better than that.  I think AJ and the girls agree.
        I may be arguing a moot point, but I think UVSC seemed to be very concentrated on Vogel, and they seem to have worked on switching inside so at times she appeared to me to have as many as three people guarding her inside. I also credit their coach for being prepared for this game. They seem to want to keep even with SDSU and the few times that we grabbed a small lead from dropping a three, UVSC called time out. They were not about to let this game get out of hand and they did not let it happen until late in the second half when we got a 9 point lead only to squander it. Even with a low shooting percentage our defense was not all that bad. It was good enough to make Sandy Marvin miss on the final shot and good enough to stop Fairbanks put up at the buzzer. This was a good game I think, and our ladies had a good performance despite the low shooting percentage.

I am still very puzzled about UVSC losing big in Fargo. I suppose they could have been looking past NDSU and towards SDSU. Maybe I am one for close games, but I think it was the best one I have seen this year be it men or women. UVSC is a young and up coming team. I hope there is a way to keep them on the schedule.

Comment

Working...
        X