Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 SDSU Vs 4 Stanford, Stanford/Palo Alto, CA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 12 SDSU Vs 4 Stanford, Stanford/Palo Alto, CA.

I am in Florida and tried to watch the game on ESPN last night, but all we got was UCONN. So I went to my iPad and tried to watch it there, but when I clicked on the link to the game ( 3 times ), it went to UCONN. So I didn't get to watch it, but did watch the highlights this morning.

Congratulations on on one heck of a game. That could've gone your way just as easy. The lady Jacks represented the Summit and the state of South Dakota extremely well. It really opens ones eyes just how close both programs are in being amongst the absolute best.

It it sucks to lose, especially when you could've won, but many people are wrong when they so there are no moral victories in sport. Yes there are, and you got one last night. I know you would rather have the big W, but there will be a ton of good that comes out of that game. Congrats on a great run.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      is this official?
      Yep, 1,961 is the official attendance, from the Stanford box score:

http://www.gostanford.com//ViewConte...ENT_ID=1751663

Attendance for other Sweet Sixteen finals:
      South Carolina-Kansas State, Columbia, SC: 10,048
      DePaul-Louisville, Louisville, KY: 7,515
      Mississippi State-Michigan State, Starkville, MS: 7,094
      Connecticut-Duquesne, Storrs, CT: 6,316
      Oregon State-St. Bonaventure, Corvallis, OR: 6,074
      Notre Dame-Indiana, South Bend, IN: 5,750
      Baylor-Auburn, Waco, TX: 4,666
      Washington-Maryland, College Park, MD: 4,396
      Florida State-Texas A&M, College Station, TX: 4,013
      Syracuse-Albany, Syracuse, NY: 3,842
      Kentucky-Oklahoma, Lexington, KY: 3,057
      Tennessee-Arizona State, Tempe, AZ: 2,957
      Ohio State-West Virginia, Columbus, OH: 2,557
      Texas-Missouri, Austin, TX: 2,345
      Stanford-SDSU, Palo Alto, CA: 1,961
      UCLA-South Florida, Los Angeles, CA: 1,656

It's especially ironic because the entire reason the NCAA put forward to have the top sixteen seeds hosting the first two rounds was to increase attendance.

The simple, obvious fact is that women's college basketball is nowhere near as popular as men's college basketball. This is illustrated most graphically by the NCAA D-I tournament: all men's games are on CBS or major cable networks; women's games are on one ESPN property or streaming, only.

It also illustrates just exactly why Notre Dame's McGraw was so impressed with the turnout in Brookings. Women's basketball just doesn't draw big crowds, unless you're Connecticut in Storrs, or Tennessee in Knoxville. The Women's Final Four has not been exactly standing room only the past few years . . . plenty of spectators in the arenas are masquerading as empty seats.

AJ has recently been making the point that Brookings, SDSU, and the Upper Midwest are all pretty unusual in how strongly girl's/women's basketball is supported, and he's right.

Looking at the attendance figures above, maybe one solution would be to disallow California teams from hosting in the first/second rounds?
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Yep, 1,961 is the official attendance, from the Stanford box score:

http://www.gostanford.com//ViewConte...ENT_ID=1751663

Attendance for other Sweet Sixteen finals:
        South Carolina-Kansas State, Columbia, SC: 10,048
        DePaul-Louisville, Louisville, KY: 7,515
        Mississippi State-Michigan State, Starkville, MS: 7,094
        Connecticut-Duquesne, Storrs, CT: 6,316
        Oregon State-St. Bonaventure, Corvallis, OR: 6,074
        Notre Dame-Indiana, South Bend, IN: 5,750
        Baylor-Auburn, Waco, TX: 4,666
        Washington-Maryland, College Park, MD: 4,396
        Florida State-Texas A&M, College Station, TX: 4,013
        Syracuse-Albany, Syracuse, NY: 3,842
        Kentucky-Oklahoma, Lexington, KY: 3,057
        Tennessee-Arizona State, Tempe, AZ: 2,957
        Ohio State-West Virginia, Columbus, OH: 2,557
        Texas-Missouri, Austin, TX: 2,345
        Stanford-SDSU, Palo Alto, CA: 1,961
        UCLA-South Florida, Los Angeles, CA: 1,656

It's especially ironic because the entire reason the NCAA put forward to have the top sixteen seeds hosting the first two rounds was to increase attendance.

The simple, obvious fact is that women's college basketball is nowhere near as popular as men's college basketball. This is illustrated most graphically by the NCAA D-I tournament: all men's games are on CBS or major cable networks; women's games are on one ESPN property or streaming, only.

It also illustrates just exactly why Notre Dame's McGraw was so impressed with the turnout in Brookings. Women's basketball just doesn't draw big crowds, unless you're Connecticut in Storrs, or Tennessee in Knoxville. The Women's Final Four has not been exactly standing room only the past few years . . . plenty of spectators in the arenas are masquerading as empty seats.

AJ has recently been making the point that Brookings, SDSU, and the Upper Midwest are all pretty unusual in how strongly girl's/women's basketball is supported, and he's right.

Looking at the attendance figures above, maybe one solution would be to disallow California teams from hosting in the first/second rounds?
        I would wager a bunch of money that if last night's game had been played at the Denny, it would for sure have out-drawn 15, and perhaps all 16 of those sites. If the Jacks had held on, the NCAA would be kicking itself that they didn't put us in the Sioux Falls region. It looks like they haven't opened up any of the upper level yet. If it would have been SDSU / South Carolina Friday night it could very well have been the first basketball sellout at the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          I would wager a bunch of money that if last night's game had been played at the Denny, it would for sure have out-drawn 15, and perhaps all 16 of those sites. If the Jacks had held on, the NCAA would be kicking itself that they didn't put us in the Sioux Falls region. It looks like they haven't opened up any of the upper level yet. If it would have been SDSU / South Carolina Friday night it could very well have been the first basketball sellout at the arena.
          The committee knew what they were doing. There is no way they were going to give a potential home court advantage to a 12 seed in a sweet 16 game.

If SDSU, or USD, want to get put close to home, they need to get that single digit seed.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
            I am in Florida and tried to watch the game on ESPN last night, but all we got was UCONN. So I went to my iPad and tried to watch it there, but when I clicked on the link to the game ( 3 times ), it went to UCONN. So I didn't get to watch it, but did watch the highlights this morning.
            It was doing that for me before the game started but once it tipped off it was working

Comment

Originally posted by FeaRed View Post
              It was doing that for me before the game started but once it tipped off it was working
              Espn does love them some Uconn very muchly.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Apparently the fans in LA and Santa Clara figured South Florida, and the Jacks were gonna be blow-outs by their mighty Bruins and Cardinal and decided to stay home. They didn't figure that those two games turned out to be the best of the night.

I think after the disappointment wears off that game film is gonna be used over and over as inspiration and training for that to never happen again. I can see the Jacks using this game and working their butts off on how to finish games strongly and not letting teams back in the game. The future is hard to predict, but I see the Jacks being very focused and intense with the goal of another tournament run. Look out for a very angry Rabbit next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                  I didn't see a foul that sent Stanford to the line. She sold,it,by falling. We were never going to get the foul call on our last possession.
                  I think the foul was legit, I Think they called it on Maddie G. On the late help defense. A little earlier recognition and she could have fouled hard to prevent the 3 pt chance.
                  Originally posted by Bozemaniac View Post
                  45-43 Jacks, 3:26 left in the 3rd.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackAttack44 View Post
                    This is getting freaking old. The stripes jobbed us tonight. Flop after flop...fouls called with zero contact. The NCAA should be embarrassed because it was obvious tonight.
                    I am sad too, but our girls lost the game not the refs. 4 TOS in 3 1/2 quarters and then 4 in the last 5 minutes. Avoid 1 or 2 of those or make another couple FTs and we're all looking a travel to Lexington.

The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                      Gotta get tickets for the regional tomorrow. A big enough crowd, maybe we get a chance to host a couple of first round games and show women's basketball what a home crowd is like.
                      Yeah, but the Jacks would have to be one of the top 16 seeds in order to have a chance to host first round.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        1,961 is the announced attendence in Stanford tonight?

Wow.

And not in-a-good-way "wow."
                        Holy crap. Come on Stanford, you should support your really good women's basketball team better than that. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                          The committee knew what they were doing. There is no way they were going to give a potential home court advantage to a 12 seed in a sweet 16 game.

If SDSU, or USD, want to get put close to home, they need to get that single digit seed.
                          True. The new mission is to earn that. If the team can put together an incredible non conference season next year maybe it is possible but still that is a big leap.

Comment

Stanford presser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?DB_OEM...&v=i1Cv0ifuPDA

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                              True. The new mission is to earn that. If the team can put together an incredible non conference season next year maybe it is possible but still that is a big leap.

The key is to keep winning. The women proved they could play with, and beat, the best teams in the country.

My memory is failing me, but I seem to remember the team not taking advantage of the TCU victory the next season. I think that the following year was somewhat of a let down. (And I mean "let down" in the way of not taking advantage of the national momentum from the previous year) This program has set the bar so high that a "let down" season would make other programs jealous
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                                The key is to keep winning. The women proved they could play with, and beat, the best teams in the country.

My memory is failing me, but I seem to remember the team not taking advantage of the TCU victory the next season. I think that the following year was somewhat of a let down. (And I mean "let down" in the way of not taking advantage of the national momentum from the previous year) This program has set the bar so high that a "let down" season would make other programs jealous
                                We lost an awful lot from the team that beat TCU, mainly Warkenthein. We bring back nearly every key piece for next year and add a transfer in Wade who was a big-time recruit out of high school.

Comment

Working...
                                X