Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU vs DePaul

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
    That is a half-full-glass post if there ever was one.
    The last few years our women have had some stinkers though. So far we've avoided those even though we've played less than stellar at times. Right now we've positioned ourselves to have a shot at an at-large if we don't win the SLT. That can change with one stinker though. The margin for error for us is so small when it comes to an at-large bid.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      The last few years our women have had some stinkers though. So far we've avoided those even though we've played less than stellar at times. Right now we've positioned ourselves to have a shot at an at-large if we don't win the SLT. That can change with one stinker though. The margin for error for us is so small when it comes to an at-large bid.
      The same is true with an NCAA seed in the 7/8/9 range. For now, that's still a possibility. One loss to the likes of Denver/NDSU/FW immediately closes that door. I think the team could survive a loss to Green Bay and keep such hopes alive. It would certainly make the margin for error in the Summit even smaller. If only they would play like last night every time out. No one in the Summit is coming close to matching that. History definitely tells me that won't be the case. There will be plenty of close games to come.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        If you are concerned about the women having a stinker, any loss from here on out would be considered a stinker. Victories in the last 2 OOC would be a must win to have consideration for at large chatter. Summit League will not give the Jackrabbits the meat they need to have national attention even though IUPUI and USD do have some quality teams. Meanwhile, the Jackrabbits should continue to do more things and improve during the conference play.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          The same is true with an NCAA seed in the 7/8/9 range. For now, that's still a possibility. One loss to the likes of Denver/NDSU/FW immediately closes that door. I think the team could survive a loss to Green Bay and keep such hopes alive. It would certainly make the margin for error in the Summit even smaller. If only they would play like last night every time out. No one in the Summit is coming close to matching that. History definitely tells me that won't be the case. There will be plenty of close games to come.
          To me it depends how we lose, if we lose. If we drop a close one by a few points to Green Bay probably no big deal. If we lose by 20? To me that's a bigger deal. I'm not sure it'd be that big of deal to the NCAA committee, might be more my perception.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            If you are concerned about the women having a stinker, any loss from here on out would be considered a stinker. Victories in the last 2 OOC would be a must win to have consideration for at large chatter. Summit League will not give the Jackrabbits the meat they need to have national attention even though IUPUI and USD do have some quality teams. Meanwhile, the Jackrabbits should continue to do more things and improve during the conference play.

Another way would be to become a ranked team in the top 25 polls,as we were in 2008-2009.We won the SLT,but most believed we would have got an at-large even if we lost the SLT.The only problem,in my mind anyway,if you get an at-large invite compared to winning the conferences auto bid,your seeding might suffer.

Comment

I kind of adhere to the rpi web sights when they characterize certain losses as bad and follow with question marks,the more question marks,the worse the loss.They also identify certain wins as "quality wins".All ranked teams you beat are "quality wins".Can quality wins be off set by bad losses?The simple answer is yes,they can.

I've noticed also they weigh heavily the won/lost record for getting things like votes in the top 25 polls and for seeding for the NCAA tournament obviously,so this becomes a no brainer,don't lose and your chances for getting better seeds,more votes ,etc goes way up.Especially don't lose to very weak teams, they'll kill your chances.Every game is scrutinized.Every game should be considered important.

The better your opponent is (the higher their rpi) the more your win is elevated ....so here's wishing DePaul the best,and go out and beat everyone by 20,same as Creighton, Arkansas,Marist,....etc.Losing to ND and Maryland will be pretty much forgiven,as 90-95% of the teams they play they beat.

A loss is a loss,however I think,although there's nothing to back it up,the closer you get to winning against a top 25 team,the better.Maryland ,as a high ranked team ,having to squeak out a win against us has to look a lot better than losing in a blowout.This is just somewhat unspoken ,but i believe a commonly applied thought process.The ole adage "close only counts in playing horseshoe and hand grenades" may or may not apply or it might be up to the discretion of the Selection committee member to elevate a teams merits or not.They're not say'n whether they do or don't,officially.
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-16-2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                I kind of adhere to the rpi web sights when they characterize certain losses as bad and follow with question marks,the more question marks,the worse the loss.They also identify certain wins as "quality wins".All ranked teams you beat are "quality wins".Can quality wins be off set by bad losses?The simple answer is yes,they can.
                I always feel like our bad losses hurt more then our good wins help. Like the women losing at Denver last year. Or the men always seem to have one or 2 they lose to a team they have no business losing too. GB and USD are the only 2 losses I think the Women can take with out it killing our seeding. but that means have to run the rest of the conference and obviously win the tourny.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

ND, Maryland, Pitt, ODU, UNI, Marist, UNC, Creighton, and DePaul will all games in their respected conferences. That will help the Jacks towards seeding as well.

So far, some of SDSU's non-con opponents have been struggling and haven't been winning many games.

I think if the Jacks lose to GB, beat BG, split with USD, and win the rest, the Jacks will still be in the talk of getting an at-large if they happen to lose in the Championship game in Sioux Falls. Remember SDSU was a "First Four Out team" according to Charlie Creme a couple years back when USD upset SDSU at the Summit League Tournament. That year SDSU was 22-9 and 13-1 in conference.

Comment

The Coyote-loving Yankton P&D ran a feature story on the Jacks today: http://www.yankton.net/sports/articl...4b3694f91.html

Green bay moved to 7-2 last night, enduring what must have been an ugly game against a lousy Loyola team. Loyola actually led after three quarters. Perhaps GB just "played down to their opponents level" like the Jacks seem to do.

Otherwise, these are the teams they have defeated:

Vanderbilt (now 8-2)
                    Marquette
                    Tulane (now 6-3)
                    Drake (by 25, on the road)
                    Butler
                    Wisconsin

Beating them at home will not be easy.

Comment

• Re: GDT: SDSU vs DePaul

i think Green Bay will be a "toughness" game, besides the usual how each team shoots,etc.The team that scraps the hardest should win.This has been a close game the last couple years.They stole a game from us last year with sheer toughness,maybe we can extract a little revenge this year.Hope Gabby stays on a roll,the whole team actually,as far as "staying on a roll" goes.This would be a good win as far as building an at-large resume or higher seeding purposes.

There won't be much drop off,if any,in effort needed from playing Green Bay than the effort we used against DePaul. UWGB is a very well respected mid-major program,as are we,so this game always ends up a battle.AJ alluded that games of this nature are a all or nothing scenario,winner gets lots of benefits,loser gets nothing,might actually lose ground,depending on how close the game is.

We usually rise to the occasion for big games,this is a big game.Lots at stake for both teams.We have to be feeling good about our chances coming off our performance from our last game,but being on the road, i'd say it's 50/50.....either team can win or lose.Here's hoping we have enough left in the tank at the end of the game,if it's as tight as i think it will be,to pull out a win in a hostile environment.This will actually be good prep for anything post season,back to back games with post season caliber teams with lots at stake for both teams. Go Jackrabbits!
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-17-2015, 08:46 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Southeast;286241

Green bay moved to 7-2 last night, enduring what must have been an ugly game against a lousy Loyola team. Loyola actually led after three quarters. Perhaps GB just "played down to their opponents level" like the Jacks seem to do.
                        [/QUOTE]

watched parts of the Loyola-GB game last night. it was pretty ugly, but, the cream did rise to the top the last few minutes of the game. the sophomore (can't remember her name now) started to take over, along with some better shooting. the sophomore is really impressive---i could see where she could take over a game. think they said she was coming off a 30pt performance and had at least 25 last night.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post

watched parts of the Loyola-GB game last night. it was pretty ugly, but, the cream did rise to the top the last few minutes of the game. the sophomore (can't remember her name now) started to take over, along with some better shooting. the sophomore is really impressive---i could see where she could take over a game. think they said she was coming off a 30pt performance and had at least 25 last night.
                          Looked it up ,Allie LeClaire's who you are referring to I take it.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            Looked it up ,Allie LeClaire's who you are referring to I take it.
                            yes, the name just wouldn't come to me when i was posting. she can take the ball to the hoop very well. good shooter, too.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post

Hopefuuly the Jacks can shut her down like they did with Creighton's hot-shot freshman.

Comment

Working...
                              X