GDT: Jackrabbits @ Bluejays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits @ Bluejays

The Argus is not a very good Newspaper,understaffed or whatever,they don't deliver the sports news people would like to see.It might lead to their demise eventually,but that happens to all business enterprises that fail to meet customer expectations.

Comment

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/offen...83fa5279b.html
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Jacks won their first true road game of the season. They also beat a team that has given them fits since joining D-1. yes they didn't shot well from 3. The Jacks are still on target for 9-4 OOC. If Jacks can win vs DePaul, could we see sdsu getting votes for top 25?

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          As ugly as it seems with some of these games, we should recognize that the defense is holding the opposition to 63 points per game. Also, the 8-2 record is somewhat acceptable since the 2 losses are to Top 10 teams. Recently the most alarming number has been the less than average free throw shooting. 66.5% for the year is not where they want to be when the games get called close. Last year the free throw percentage was 77.5%. Tonight also saw a shorter rotation again. Palmer and Mieras did not play. The remaining OOC games will all be difficult. It would be great to get to 9-4 going into the Summit play.
          Shooting % in general has to improve if this team is going to go on the big run needed in conference play. 38% from the field (35% from 3) will result in ugly games every now and then. Both numbers were 5% higher last year. Miller and Young both at 45%, Ober right at 40 and Thompson at 37 (and improving) aren't bad , but Guebert at 30 (28 from 3) has to get better and hopefully will as she adjusts to the college game. The big difference this year is we don't have much offense coming off the bench. Last year Ober, Thompson and Walters could provide scoring off the bench. This year Boever, Alexander and Coerneman provide good things, but are not big scoring threats. Sometimes I wonder if Guebert might be more comfortable and effective coming off the bench like both Jill and Kerri Young did early in their careers.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Shooting % in general has to improve if this team is going to go on the big run needed in conference play. 38% from the field (35% from 3) will result in ugly games every now and then. Both numbers were 5% higher last year. Miller and Young both at 45%, Ober right at 40 and Thompson at 37 (and improving) aren't bad , but Guebert at 30 (28 from 3) has to get better and hopefully will as she adjusts to the college game. The big difference this year is we don't have much offense coming off the bench. Last year Ober, Thompson and Walters could provide scoring off the bench. This year Boever, Alexander and Coerneman provide good things, but are not big scoring threats. Sometimes I wonder if Guebert might be more comfortable and effective coming off the bench like both Jill and Kerri Young did early in their careers.
            I think people don't realize how many transition buckets Clarin scored for the Jacks last year.She could flat out fly down the court and finish ,no matter if the pass was spot on or not,because she was just athletically gifted.The others could just heave it down court knowing she'd be there,she and Maria Boever were excellent at getting those break away buckets, and they tend to give the offense a shot in the arm and pick up the team when they aren't playing well.

I'm thinking we don't get as many breakaway buckets because we play a defense that's very strong, but less conducive to getting break aways.If that's the case, i'd rather keep playing the defense we are now,because we don't get all that many breakaway buckets to justify going back to a less effective defense.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-13-2015, 01:47 PM.

Comment

For those who are wondering, the SDSU-Creighton women's game rated five sentences on page 5 of the Argus Leader's Sunday sports section. The recap was placed below a seven-sentence report on the Minn. Crookston - Augie women's game. (Pretty bad coverage for a significant victory.) Matt Zimmer was covering the Gopher loss at the Pentagon. The USD men's loss was the other big sports story of the day in the Argus Leader's view. The USF women also got page 1 coverage in sports for beating Mary.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Hmmm. I didn't realize the Argus still had a print version.
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  For those who are wondering, the SDSU-Creighton women's game rated five sentences on page 5 of the Argus Leader's Sunday sports section. The recap was placed below a seven-sentence report on the Minn. Crookston - Augie women's game. (Pretty bad coverage for a significant victory.) Matt Zimmer was covering the Gopher loss at the Pentagon. The USD men's loss was the other big sports story of the day in the Argus Leader's view. The USF women also got page 1 coverage in sports for beating Mary.
                  I found it now. Thanks. The online version of the print is too small to pick that one up without clicking that part of the page. Apologies to the Argus for my small screen.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                    I found it now. Thanks. The online version of the print is too small to pick that one up without clicking that part of the page. Apologies to the Argus for my small screen.
                    read the opponents papers, you'll probably get a better story. sorry but spoiled by TV's coverage. Zimmer although probably a good guy just appears to me as not really caring about covering the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                      read the opponents papers, you'll probably get a better story. sorry but spoiled by TV's coverage. Zimmer although probably a good guy just appears to me as not really caring about covering the Jacks.

Good Grief. When is this going to end? Do you think Zimmer made the decision to cover the game at the Pentagon vs. driving to Omaha to cover the Jacks? No, his boss told him to. Rag on the Argus all you want for not dedicating a beat writer to the Jacks for all away games, but give up the Zimmer sucks and can't hold Terry's jock bit. It's old.

And this isn't directed just at you, Sturgis. Your post just happened to be the first I read on Monday morning.
                      Last edited by jackrabbit1979; 12-14-2015, 09:11 AM.
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                        Zimmer doesn't get to choose his assignments. The Argus continues to cut spending on their staffing and travel expenses. If you are expecting much for coverage on away games you will likely be frustrated and disappointed all season long.

Comment

There's good SDSU coverage in the Argus Leader today (Dec. 14) about the men's BB win over Santa Barbara and the wrestlers win over NDSU. I suspect the Jacks will get good coverage for the women's home game against DePaul on Dec. 15. Then the women go on a four-game road swing and coverage probably will be hard to find. That's the state of the beast.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Ellie Thompson shares the POTW honors in the Summit. She is the 4th Jackrabbit to achieve this honor in 2015-16.

Comment

Working...
                            X