#6 Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #6 Maryland

The biggest reason Maryland won the game was their offensive rebounds. I have not checked the stats to see the number. The Jackrabbit were just out of reach while the bigger team had position for the board. Poor shooting was not any help either, but we could have limited some of the second chance points and made a difference. Many of the first quarter turnovers were due to tightness. Great effort by the WBB tream.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Pitt beat ODU 67-58 in the final game of the day. Jacks should have a good chance to get a W tomorrow.

Comment

That's our biggest stumbling block is matching up with the P-5's behemoth's in the paint, the Maryland player had no problem shooting over 6,2" Ober,not her fault she's giving up height and Jones uses her body to shield her shot most of the time, plus she's just good too.Maryland had numerous tall players to throw out there......Ellie and Clarrisa did good IMO,as they always do .

Comment

They always make an effort to get easy points under the basket when they figure they have a size advantage in the paint,they all do it,ND,Maryland,Pitt,Oregon St, so on and so on down the list.I really admire the job our gals do given some of the match ups they have to face.

Comment

Hopefully the 6'4" post we will get next year will at least slow.some of these big gals down from the p5.

Comment

what a great effort! i have to eat crow on this one---i was hoping jacks could keep it under 30. guess they did. i only got to watch the 4th quarter. it is tough when you are in a position where you need to foul---especially against a team of that caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                Maryland was averaging 99 ppg and Notre Dame has averaged 91. Those numbers came mostly in blowouts where they likely eased up. We allowed them 62 and 75. That kind of defense could get us a couple more big wins before it is unleashed on some poor Summit League teams.

Shooting even a lousy 30% in the first quarter tonight would have likely been enough to have the Jacks looking past the mid-major polls and finding themselves getting votes in the real deal. That can still happen if they go on a run starting tomorrow.
                94 52 Notre Dame over Denver last night.

Comment

The Maryland game was big. I probably shouldn't be surprised, but I was disappointed by the general lack of media coverage in South Dakota. Thank goodness for websites like this.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                    We competed with the best team in the ACC and the best team in the Big 10. Beat a good SEC team. Is just competing against these teams good enough?
                    No and we can't let ourselves think that. The University's exposure from competing is tremendous. But small compared to the exposure once we start winning.

Comment

We play our best basketball against top 10 teams....LOL, just kidding, or am I ??.....hymmmm

Comment

Really liked the resolve of the team vs Maryland. Could have been blown out after the bad start, but they didn't let it happen. This team could be very special. Someone in a previous post mentioned that we missed some open 3's late. I'd like to see us run specific plays to get specific players those 3's in big situations instead of getting it within the regular offense. Not being critical at all, just a thought.

Comment

I guess Maryland isn't invincible after all - #9 Ohio State went into College Park and won by 9. First conference loss for the Terps since they joined the Big Ten.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            I guess Maryland isn't invincible after all - #9 Ohio State went into College Park and won by 9. First conference loss for the Terps since they joined the Big Ten.
                            osu is right there with maryland now. plus, i think they got a highly rated transfer that will be eligible next season. should be osu vs maryland for top of the big ten for the next few years. those two teams at a different level than the rest of the big ten.

found it. actually, two transfers---duke's sierra calhoun and north carolina's mavunga. should allow them to make some really deep runs in ncaa's. could see them in finals.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                              No and we can't let ourselves think that. The University's exposure from competing is tremendous. But small compared to the exposure once we start winning.
                              but, imo, if sdsu wants to get to that next level you are going to have to recruit better at the post. take a look at the top 10, and, probably top 20 rosters. virtually every one has recruited 6' 4"-6' 6"---lengthy, athletic posts. i believe it was stephanie white that stated a couple years ago, if a team wants to compete with the top teams, you are going to have to recruit tall, athletic post players.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
                                but, imo, if sdsu wants to get to that next level you are going to have to recruit better at the post. take a look at the top 10, and, probably top 20 rosters. virtually every one has recruited 6' 4"-6' 6"---lengthy, athletic posts. i believe it was stephanie white that stated a couple years ago, if a team wants to compete with the top teams, you are going to have to recruit tall, athletic post players.
                                Agree with you 100%.

Comment

Working...
                                X