Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU WBB 2015 NCAA Tourney

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    It's the way we lost. We didn't compete against Marist or DePaul, we lost by 18 and 22 points respectively. The committee looks at the Marist game and sees an 18 point loss it's not good.

This is about an entire resume.
    Agree, we weren't showing we are competitive enough with the margin of victory Marist and DePaul enjoyed. I know it's tough, but it will make the task much easier post season if we get the higher seed, look at it as working hard to not having any bad losses on the resume will, pay dividends down the road.
    We can control our own destiny a little better, instead of hoping for a gift of a better seed from the selection committee.

Comment

The SDSU WBB team has these seemingly inexplicable total power outages rather more frequently than I'd like. Not sure if it's coaching-related, or just 18-22-year-olds, or what. Maybe that's just normal, and the exception are years like Princeton's this year or SDSU's 32-3 year in 2008-09. (And even that year arguably had one true clunker, vs. Oakland).
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

My theory, we have to develop players,we don't recruit too many plug'n play freshmen. We do that development early and often, and it works, but we do get the occasional loss too, especially in games like, when we were turning the ball over early in the season and then ran into DePaul, a team that specialized in creating turnovers .The result was a blow out, but we learned.

We cannot pass knowledge along from freshman class to freshman class, (some basic thoughts,ideas are all)it has to be experienced first hand ,to really sink in,so we are perpetually learning.

Coaches learn too, they're the major store to dispense the learning from, where the non, game experience, learning comes from, the coaching staff. Practice is just game execution simulation of things learned. It's also a tool coaches use to evaluate team progression. Practice rarely mimics an actual game, there's too many variable's to consider in an actual game.
        Every team has the same problem true, but the top programs recruit the crème of the crop recruits (our's are very close,some as good) so they can integrate into their season more smoothly this learning process. Notre Dame comes to mind. My solution, game management, with the long term goal of acquiring the seed we need post season to have the success THERE to further the program. If we are in a close game toward the end, schools out, get the win (long term goal)Wins are everything,they say not, but they are.

Winning puts you at a higher level of repeating this cycle year in and year out, because winning gets you the things you need to make winning easier, they are, better recruits, more prestige, more exposure. Learning, team work, discipline, when all three are honed to the highest degree possible, you find success comes more easily, for the level you're at. The trick is, being able to get to higher levels.

I think we've got a pretty good idea what it'll take to get to the next level, next comes the time factor, how long will it take. Can we make the jump when we've got the players to do it. We have to, unless we get an uninterruptible supply of the recruits good enough to elevate the program. Take the opportunity's given, make the most of them. Lots of unknowns for sure. That's the nature of the beast.

I'm always torn between wanting to be UConn, or wanting to be SDSU. You want all the adulation, attention, glory, etc....but, don't like the negatives that can sometime bring either.... at what price success? I like the way AJ does it, slowly without incorporating the negatives into the process, that's one reason parents feel good in trusting him to look out for their daughters. AJ looks at players as family, not stepping stones. I like that in his personality
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-23-2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

A lot of novels on this thread. Should rename it '50 Shades of Jackrabbit Women's Basketball'.
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
            A lot of novels on this thread. Should rename it '50 Shades of Jackrabbit Women's Basketball'.
            I'm always interested in other peoples thoughts,if they have any.What's your point? You don't like to read that long? Sorry,I haven't mastered the technique of condensing numerous thoughts ,convictions,etc into one sentence. Some posts do get a little long sometimes,I admit, they're more than tweeting, but less than a novel.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-24-2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I saw one game this year so my opinion may not mean much. Until these ladies and Aaron Johnston's teams do a better job of controlling the ball and limiting turnovers, they will continue to be a competitive Summit League team but probably not a nationally ranked team.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                I saw one game this year so my opinion may not mean much. Until these ladies and Aaron Johnston's teams do a better job of controlling the ball and limiting turnovers, they will continue to be a competitive Summit League team but probably not a nationally ranked team.
                Turnovers are going to happen in the women's game. It's just the way it is. With that being said, I don't think turnovers were that big of an issue this year. Just very inconsistent road play which is bound to happen with such a young team.

Comment

Lots of silly TO's, got some passes stolen, tried to go at Hamblin way to much, got stuffed a lot, rushed shots when they didn't have to be. Too much dictation over what they're supposed to do, or too much leniency given, either way, the things we tried didn't work for some reason, mostly a 6'6" reason. We quit moving and attacking the second half, or they took it away more likely,because we were able to do it the first half. I'm over it, what's done is done. Get better and give everyone heck next year.
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-23-2015, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                    Turnovers are going to happen in the women's game. It's just the way it is. With that being said, I don't think turnovers were that big of an issue this year. Just very inconsistent road play which is bound to happen with such a young team.
                    Fair enough, I saw one game, early and on the road, where they committed 34 turnovers.

Comment

Fair enough, I saw one game, early and on the road, where they committed 34 turnovers.
                      DePaul

Comment

We only had 12 TO's against Oregon State. I think a big part of the TO problem early in the season was the loss of Boever and having a young team. It didn't seem to be nearly as big of an issue down the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          We only had 12 TO's against Oregon State. I think a big part of the TO problem early in the season was the loss of Boever and having a young team. It didn't seem to be nearly as big of an issue down the stretch.
                          Boever has always had a lot of turnovers.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            Boever has always had a lot of turnovers.
                            Boever in 2013-2014 averaged 2.33 TO's per game.
                            Miller in 2014-2015 averaged 2.30 TO's per game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                              Boever in 2013-2014 averaged 2.33 TO's per game.
                              Miller in 2014-2015 averaged 2.30 TO's per game.
                              and to add, you are looking at Miller the freshman. adjusting to the college game. for the most part, playing against talent she hadn't seen before. imo, pretty doggone good.

Comment

Without looking at the numbers, I'd say that this team did a relatively good job with turnovers compared to past years. At least in the second half of the season. Turnover numbers have always been a major topic here when it comes to WBB. That talk pretty much died off around January this year. That's great, considering that all of our PG/SG are returning.

Next year we should be quite a bit better at the guard positions. We add a veteran with several years of starting experience, expect to see improvement from the those who carried the load well this year, and bring in some hyped freshman. That group definitely has the potential to be the best we've ever seen at SDSU.

The big questions are how do you replace Waytashek's production and will you have a viable backup center. The answers to those two questions will determine how far the 2015/2016 team goes.

Comment

Working...
                                X