Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU WBB 2015 NCAA Tourney

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
    this "run" that many of us discuss? won't drag this out. it's just going to be ​awful difficult to do it without a post presence that has the athletic, 6'4"-6'6" to match up.

btw, not stated in critical tone. just the way the tourney is.
    This is reality.

In today's women's game, you can maybe steal a game from a top 20 team by shooting an insane percentage from behind the arc, but that isn't a formula for the consistent success you'd need to make a tournament run.

You need a big, power post presence to balance out your offense. There are games where the outside shots aren't falling. You have to have the ability to go inside and compete on something approximating an equal athletic basis with the "big boys". You need the balance.

I keep hoping for some SD high school to produce a 6'6" farm girl who has wrestled calves and pigs and thrown bales all her life, whose college goal is to play SDSU women's basketball. Then we'd be cookin' with gas.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      This is reality.

In today's women's game, you can maybe steal a game from a top 20 team by shooting an insane percentage from behind the arc, but that isn't a formula for the consistent success you'd need to make a tournament run.

You need a big, power post presence to balance out your offense. There are games where the outside shots aren't falling. You have to have the ability to go inside and compete on something approximating an equal athletic basis with the "big boys". You need the balance.

I keep hoping for some SD high school to produce a 6'6" farm girl who has wrestled calves and pigs and thrown bales all her life, whose college goal is to play SDSU women's basketball. Then we'd be cookin' with gas.
      Recruit Bulsma listed 6'3,getting closer a little, there's the 6'5" Josie Sayler from Yankton, if she can develop into a Div 1 player. Don't seem to have a lot of people with tall genes on the womens side in SD, Minn has had some, but they choose other programs usually. Destney Oberg from Minn , 6' 2", but really young and with plenty of time to maybe add a couple inches, if she's so inclined to do so. Some others in Minn with good height, names escape me. Very hard to recruit these players, but if we can convince them we have the players to surround them with, to go pretty far in the NCAA Tournament, maybe they'll want to play closer to home and hang their hat here, like Waytashek did (hoop girls top 100).
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-22-2015, 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling error ,added comment

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        This is reality.

exactly. i glanced over many of the tournaments rosters and they show at least one player of 6'4" or taller. add to that, they tend to be very athletic. i understand the recruiting game. it's a tough world. many of the players with some height and athleticism get pulled towards the "bigger" programs. would have to believe the success of the jacks should at least draw some interest.

Comment

A team has to open up, soften the defense with perimeter shooting, get some driving lanes established or match your opponents size in the paint. To consistently shoot well from the perimeter is a pretty tall task, there are games they just don't go in. Oregon State was more the consistent team in our matchup,they exploited our lack of size against Hamblin, she's extremely good against shorter opponents, just like McIntyre was, that's why they won IMO. Wonder how she'll do against players her own height or taller, those that can alter her shot a little. She must have faired OK with the ones in the Pack-12 .Remains to be seen against others she's not familiar with, it's coming sooner than later I suspect.
          Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-22-2015, 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling,added a comment

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
            this "run" that many of us discuss? won't drag this out. it's just going to be ​awful difficult to do it without a post presence that has the athletic, 6'4"-6'6" to match up.

btw, not stated in critical tone. just the way the tourney is.
            I think that is why there seems to be more parity in the men's game. Even at the mid-major level conferences like the Summit , every team has one or two post players in the 6'9'' or bigger range. They may not be great players , but they provide enough post presence to keep from getting dominated inside. Compare that to the women's Summit where after ORU with McIntyre, every other team's posts are 6'1 or 6'2. And we all saw what kind of damage McIntyre could do in that situation. To me that is why in the women's game the elite teams have great post players as opposed to being more guard dominated with the men's game.

Comment

• SDSU WBB 2015 NCAA Tourney

There's a lot of truth to this post talk. We consistently have the surrounding cast that could make an average 6'4 post do a lot of damage. Imagine what a player like McKintyre would have done to the Summit if she was supported by the type of skilled perimeter players like we have. Adding a McKintyre-lite would take so much pressure off our shooters.

One thing we complained loudly about a lot in past NCAA trips was not a storyline with this one; a bad mismatch at the guard positions. Usually the gap in athleticism is a huge problem. I did not see much of that this time. Progress or matchup?

Comment

It should be noted that it took some unforeseen circumstances to get McIntyre to ORU for her one season. If not for the tragic plane crash involving the Oklahoma State coaching staff , she very likely would never have left Stillwater for a mid-major.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  I don't think 3 more conference wins against teams with losing records raises the Jacks 2 seeding spots. It would have taken those three plus winning one,if not two of the losses to Green Bay,Creighton and Marist to get to an 11 or 12. And being a 12 doesn't guarantee beating a 5. Miss. State and Ohio State are really good teams and Texas and Oklahoma aren't bad either - definitely a better chance though than beating a 3 on their home floor.
                  Green Bay was disappointing loss, leading late in the game, then two in a row TO's and 4 quick points, give them momentum and flusterd us,this was the turning point to that loss. Should of closed that one out. Although we are night vs day different in committing TO's from the start of the season to the end of the season,I thought at the time, if we are on the verge of getting a win vs a loss, I think I'd put in my closers, like they do in baseball. Sure handed, make good decisions and passes, good at handling the pressure of a close game, good shooters and can make FT's .Eliminate as much as possible things that can go wrong when a victory is just about in grasp.

Creighton was inability to contain their shooters,their coach said they needed each and every one of their double digit 3 pointers to win that game.A close loss.
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-22-2015, 10:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

What's the prognosis for next year? Too early to tell yet? We've got good recruits to look forward to,but lose some good things to graduation. No 6'4" to 6'6" post players signed up yet. Young and dangerous with high potential would be my assessment of our team next year, with a little seasoning of senior veteran leadership added for good measure.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      There's a lot of truth to this post talk. We consistently have the surrounding cast that could make an average 6'4 post do a lot of damage. Imagine what a player like McKintyre would have done to the Summit if she was supported by the type of skilled perimeter players like we have. Adding a McKintyre-lite would take so much pressure off our shooters.

One thing we complained loudly about a lot in past NCAA trips was not a storyline with this one; a bad mismatch at the guard positions. Usually the gap in athleticism is a huge problem. I did not see much of that this time. Progress or matchup?
                      Seems like it's either they are biased against really tall girls or they just can't sell SDSU to them when recruiting. Plenty of quality 6-2+ players in this general region. Guessing most have their sights set higher than a mid-major. Hate that term "mid-major". Is that DI-light, or DII-heavy?

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                        What's the prognosis for next year? Too early to tell yet? We've got good recruits to look forward to,but lose some good things to graduation. No 6'4" to 6'6" post players signed up yet. Young and dangerous with high potential would be my assessment of our team next year, with a little seasoning of senior veteran leadership added for good measure.
                        I'm guessing pretty much like this year. Losing the senior players will make a big difference that the new players will not be able to make up.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
                          I'm guessing pretty much like this year. Losing the senior players will make a big difference that the new players will not be able to make up.
                          Tough losing 5 great seniors, oops 4, get one back.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            The Jacks will be fine at the two guard spots - Alexander and Corneman stepped it up late and you add Gabby and Guebert into the mix. Same thing at the 4 where you have Thompson and a healthy Stevens. Ober should start at the post and you would think Young slides down to the Waytashek spot. The question in my mind is who backs up those two spots. Flaata didn't play hardly at all and she and Mieras battle for backup minutes. Severyn probably gets backup minutes at the 3 along with the other incoming freshmen.

Comment

Things may have changed sine the 2010-11 season for dominant bigs for women. 2011 had Danielle Adams as the 6'1" post for Texas A&M. The last 3 games were victories over Baylor, Stanford, and Notre Dame to win the national championship. Adams had a build closer to USD's Harrington than Baylor's Griner. Mieras may have a similar look to Adams in regards to build. I can see that a 6'4" or taller player has potential for rebounding and shooting inside. The number of athletic women at this height is not excessive. I am guessing that AJ would give an interview to any 6'5" who has some talent. There have been a few taller players in the Summit as IUPUI loses a 6'4" player this year and Omaha loses a 6'4" player too. USD has a 6'4" transfer from American who will be suited up for the Yotes next year. She may be the only 6'4" player in the conference. She played in 20 games as a sophomore at American. She is another tall Canadian woman who is playing in the USA. We can put it on the wish list for a taller post player. It is somewhat a mark of affluence in the women's game to have a big post like Kentucky has 2 7'0" players followed by a 6'11" and 6'10" player. Meanwhile we will see how our shorter posts handle the 6'4" post the Yotes bring to town next year(and the 6'4" post Notre Dame brings in next year as well).
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                                First round attendance for the first round is not too bad for some locations. Some locations not so great. Corvalis reports 3728, Notre Dame had 6198, Baylor had 4775, Iowa had 4429, South Carolina had 10,644, North Carolina had 3113, Arizona St. had 2588, Florida St. had 5536, Cal had 2079, Kentucky had 3223, Maryland had 7948, Duke had 2712, and Tennessee had 6439. If the NCAA was intending to have large crowds for the higher seeds, it appears it is not that successful overall. Louisville is the only 1-4 seed that did not host and I did not find those attendance figures from Tampa yet or the Stanford or UConn numbers. It will be much like the Summit tourney in that the NCAA is looking for the biggest bang for the buck. It would be hard for them to have games that would be located where the attendance would be less. Some of the lower drawing teams may have trouble keeping the criteria of the year for landing that 1-4 seed. #13 Princeton was a "bubble" team for hosting the opening round games, but they slid to an 8 seed. The average attendance is 1131 for the 11 home games at Princeton this year. Could this attendance also be driving some of the seeding?
                                If you take your numbers ,add the sites you're missing, the average attendance for the first round games was 4715. The average for 2 rounds last year was 4134,so about a 15% increase. I'm assuming the 2nd. round games will be better attended if the site host is still playing so that average could/should increase.

Is that enough to continue to give the higher seeds home games or go back to all neutral sites?

Comment

Working...
                                X