Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIU Leathernecks

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
    understand what your saying. the part that really starts to tick me off is when a player does it to draw attention to themselves. like the "chest pounding" and the posing when you take a 3pt shot. the worst may be the subtle "in-your-face" crap. love teams that go out there, know what they gotta do, and just take care of business. act like you have been there before.

didn't get to listen to the game, but, jacks must have been pretty impressive. this is one road game i gave a big "?" to when looking at schedule earlier in the season---and more so the way things have gone lately. if i am correct with the "points in the paint" total, 50 is pretty impressive. somebody must have coached up the post players the last few days.
    Since I have been a little hard on our post play (mainly in my head more than on the boards), I will respond to this. Now, I didn't get to see the game, but our "post" players combined for 20 points total. So, assuming all those points came from in the paint, this means that over half those points were from out posts. I'm assuming we scored 50 in the paint by attacking the basket and getting to the rim. Macy Miller is especially good at this. I see we only attempted 8 3-pointers, so I think this may be a fairly accurate description of events. Anyone who saw the game want to comment?

As far as emotion, this team could certainly us more. I feel like teams like USD have beaten us in the past by simply taking it to us and wanting it more than we do. I would love to see more outward emotion from us, but certainly not the chest thumping kind.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      I agree with most of what you say about Chloe and Lexie. They are both good defenders and capable with the ball. The only thing that they need to do is be a little more aggressive on offense. I think it can really hurt when you have a point that isn't looking aggressively to score or drive and make something happen. They both seem content to pass around the perimeter and not look for the shot. Yes, they will both take the open three when they have it but we are loaded with shooters. They need to not be predictable and then will be more effective. Drive the basket a few times and the defense will have to respect them more.

SUPERBUNNY
      I would love to see more drive and dish. I get irritated when we just pass around the perimeter and then force a shot. By driving and dishing we make the defense work - and will have better outside shot opportunities. I would also like to see more inside out activity. If the post is not open -- pass it back out and reposition.... then we can pass it back in the middle. Last note; we have tall guard in Miller,Young and Waytashek - why don't we clear out and post them up against smaller defenders?

Comment

Wonder what plans are in store for 6'7" McIntyre from ORU. Noticed she's a little slow afoot and got beat regularly by fast,quick guards on the dribble drive, think she'll favor Macy's side all game, most of the time? Can she be screened out of the play? Can Clarin get around her easy enough? Clarin and our posts did OK with a much more mobile Zahui B., but a lot of that was quick drives to the hoop by our guards, and good outside shooting clearing the paint a little.We moved her around and never let Amanda get comfortable on defense .Stuart took care of 6'5" Butler of Georgetown. Ever since Hamson of BYU, I have this nagging feeling that big players could present problems. She presented problems for everyone though. It'll be an interesting game,IPFW has defeated them already so, they can do it, so can we.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-22-2015, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack View Post
          I would love to see more drive and dish. I get irritated when we just pass around the perimeter and then force a shot. By driving and dishing we make the defense work - and will have better outside shot opportunities. I would also like to see more inside out activity. If the post is not open -- pass it back out and reposition.... then we can pass it back in the middle. Last note; we have tall guard in Miller,Young and Waytashek - why don't we clear out and post them up against smaller defenders?
          I'd just like to see more movement period. I can see spotting up a Walters for a three point shot, or I should say 1 or two players, but the rest should be moving, (I know there are timing issues however, plays have to be well timed to work properly), make them (the defense) do what you want them to do, not what they want to do and that they do best. A static offense is easy to defend.

We have too many good ball handlers and athletes who can make things happen to see them all standing around motionless. However it takes awhile to change an offense, and maybe it would be Ill advised to tinker this late in the season and this close to tournament time. As long as we keep winning, i don't care what type of offense we run, it's only when we lose everyone thinks we should be doing something different....human nature.
          Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-23-2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I agree with most of what you say about Chloe and Lexie. They are both good defenders and capable with the ball. The only thing that they need to do is be a little more aggressive on offense. I think it can really hurt when you have a point that isn't looking aggressively to score or drive and make something happen. They both seem content to pass around the perimeter and not look for the shot. Yes, they will both take the open three when they have it but we are loaded with shooters. They need to not be predictable and then will be more effective. Drive the basket a few times and the defense will have to respect them more.

SUPERBUNNY
            Only two choices when you give up the dribble, shoot or pass, and if your shorter, you better decide fast. If you keep your dribble alive, you add the third choice, dribble drive.

Comment

SUPERBUNNY
              Although I agree with you 100%,I'm pretty sure the players playing the PG position have to play the way the coaching staff dictates, so I don't think they're supposed to be unpredictable as of yet, but rather just start the motion offense ,and that's supposed to get the open shot for us. In other words, I don't know if they have the green light to be more creative and take the initiative themselves to dribble drive the hoop. Maybe they have that option, maybe not.

Jus say'n for the players sake mostly, if they want to play, they have to show they can follow directions and be a team player. Maybe that's what we're seeing here. Maybe after discipline has been established they will be given more freedom to make their own choices later.

Chloe is really disciplined and rarely makes mistakes and has played really well the last couple games, and I see Lexi starting to fit that mold too. Sometimes in close games, that is one of the most desirable attributes to have on the court, someone who doesn't get caught up in the excitement (plays smart)and can play under control and doesn't give you the costly turnover that ends up costing you the game come Tournament time.
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-25-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X