SDSU @ IUPUI in the Jungle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU @ IUPUI in the Jungle

Post defense needs to be addressed. Also I don't think Ober got in the 2nd half but Flaata did. I wonder what the reasoning is.

Comment

best shot late in the game.....I would go with an open Chynna Stevens three....

we got a bad review on the simultaneously touched ball out of bounds,the IUPUI players arm motion was the way the ball went....out of bounds, the IUPUI player came crashing into Kerry besides ,could of been called a foul ,lots of contact ......Kerry's arm motion was toward the basket trying to rebound,the way the ball didn't go. Logic dictates the last person who touches the ball determines where the ball will go. Should of been our ball.If there was the slightest doubt, it was no surprise when they said IUPUI ball.

Tough, tough loss....homeward bound now, had some good chances at both our losses, we have to just clean up some things and not rely as much on last second heroics
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-11-2015, 04:20 PM.

Comment

There more than enough missed layups to have a win.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel
          McIntyre of ORU will have a field day if we can't, I think we have to pressure the passer more, just a foot closer might be enough, the opposition has much too easy of a time getting it into their post player now with lobs, let alone a 6'7" post. Better to close on the dribble drive, where we might have the advantage in height or set up for the charge call.
          It seemed that the post lobs were while we were fronting the post and pass went towards the bucket and no one was there to slow it down. We may need to consider some double teams since the zone was not the answer early. Ober may have gotten in the doghouse during a timeout in the first half. She normally plays decent defense, but that timeout may have been called to visit about defense. Or she is injured.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            There more than enough missed layups to have a win.
            Good point. This team struggles to finish at the basket....right next to the basket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

It will be interesting to see who is in the starting line-up this week. On the post game radio interview , AJ said he may change it up to send a message that some are not getting the job done.

Comment

Ober was looking really good in the paint late last season. This season has been extremely average (and probably worse the last couple weeks). The SDSU post problem has definitely flared up along with her struggles.

Related to that, here's a casual observation that might be way off the mark. There seems to be a big difference between males and females in regard to the amount they improve over their 4-year BB careers. This is just a generalization, as there are obvious exceptions. On the women's side it often seems like what you see as a freshman/sophomore is exactly what you will get as an upperclassmen. Don't expect big improvement. With the men, you rarely see the full potential until year three or four. At least that's something I've noticed over the last decade of closely following both teams.

Comment

Ellie Thompson and Mariah Clarin had a good game, Chynna Stevens is starting to come around after a slow start.

This team just seems to be missing something from last year, maybe Paluch, Heiser, and Strop are being missed much more than the other seniors who have departed previously were. Maybe some intrinsic value they added to the team, like fortitude, energy, composure, being able to finish. Just speculating,but I feel this year's team is missing what made us better last year.
                  I don't think anyone in the conference doesn't think they cannot beat us anymore, so they all play better against us and are starting to give us one point games. When we lost the NCAA bid for the first time, we lost the aura of invincibility we had before, maybe that's what they're struggling with.

We need to start feeling like we are unbeatable in Summit play again, or it's going to be a bunch more one point game struggles I'm afraid. How we do that, well that's why we have a coaching staff. I'm sure they're working to restore order and solve the problems, I'll just hang in there as a fan till they do and give my support through showing up at games and cheering hard.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    It will be interesting to see who is in the starting line-up this week. On the post game radio interview , AJ said he may change it up to send a message that some are not getting the job done.
                    The whole teams not getting it done, the teams got to find a way to work together better and find their way. The five on the court have to do something when on the court, it doesn't have to necessarily be scoring, but they have to all contribute in some way to winning, be it scoring, defense, rebounding, steals, causing TO's.....etc I think that's the message AJ's sending.Hope it works, because that's usually the only weapon a coach has, other than pleading ,to try and motivate.

I think it's more that each individual player has to buy in and come together collectively as a team and form a union of very tight knit teammates who want to help each other as much as they can succeed and experience a successful and satisfying career .They have to strengthen their will to win.
                    That's not an easy thing to do when your physically giving it all you have, more clean up the mental mistakes would help tremendously, but most of them are from rushing things, and hoping a pass gets in there somehow, whatever it is, they make the mistake of believing it will work. They don't consciously make bad decisions, they just make bad decisions, sometimes, not all the time, but they collectively accumulate over the course of the game as a team ,and hinder the chances of winning. Team weaknesses.

If each individual cuts down on their own personal mistakes ,the team weakness disappears.Each player has to be honest with themselves, identify their biggest weakness, and work hard to improve that weakness.If each and every player on the roster does that, you will see much improved team play.Pick each other up when they fall down,be the best teammate you can be. That's what my motivational speech would sound like, encouragement and a strong sense of belonging and believing in one another. This team has too much untapped potential that's not being utilized as of yet.I think we're all a little bit impatient to wait and see it however.
                    Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-12-2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      Ellie Thompson and Mariah Clarin had a good game, Chynna Stevens is starting to come around after a slow start.

This team just seems to be missing something from last year, maybe Paluch, Heiser, and Strop are being missed much more than the other seniors who have departed previously were. Maybe some intrinsic value they added to the team, like fortitude, energy, composure, being able to finish. Just speculating,but I feel this year's team is missing what made us better last year.
                      I don't think anyone in the conference doesn't think they cannot beat us anymore, so they all play better against us and are starting to give us one point games. When we lost the NCAA bid for the first time, we lost the aura of invincibility we had before, maybe that's what they're struggling with.

We need to start feeling like we are unbeatable in Summit play again, or it's going to be a bunch more one point game struggles I'm afraid. How we do that, well that's why we have a coaching staff. I'm sure they're working to restore order and solve the problems, I'll just hang in there as a fan till they do and give my support through showing up at games and cheering hard.
                      I still believe that not having Gabby makes a big difference for this team. As good as Miller and Young have played at times , they had a total of one college start combined going into this season. I think the defensive intensity and pressure on the other team's point guard and the experience factor have been missed. Right now there aren't really any consistent options to provide offense from the bench at the guard spots. If you could bring either Young or Miller off the bench , it would give you some instant offense that isn't there now. Also , with Ober struggling I think the team really misses not having Megan Stuart as an option in the post.

Comment

I still believe that not having Gabby makes a big difference for this team. As good as Miller and Young have played at times , they had a total of one college start combined going into this season. I think the defensive intensity and pressure on the other team's point guard and the experience factor have been missed. Right now there aren't really any consistent options to provide offense from the bench at the guard spots. If you could bring either Young or Miller off the bench , it would give you some instant offense that isn't there now. Also , with Ober struggling I think the team really misses not having Megan Stuart as an option in the post.
                        Agree, Gabby would definitely make a difference, not quite the same as Marshall is to the men's team, but she would have really made an impact this year, hopefully next if she can't make it back this year.Thompson's been pretty good in some games, but just a freshman, still a lot to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                          Agree, Gabby would definitely make a difference, not quite the same as Marshall is to the men's team, but she would have really made an impact this year, hopefully next if she can't make it back this year.Thompson's been pretty good in some games, but just a freshman, still a lot to learn.
                          It's the leadership and intensity they are missing without Gabby. One of the upperclassmen needs to step up and fill that role.

Comment

I agree completely.

I also look at it as we need Gabby as our "other" guard. AJ normally goes 2 deep at every position so you don't have to compare Gabby to Miller, you can compare her too the person who is getting the minutes that she would get if she was healthy. I'm sure Miller and Young will get their minutes either way but the other minutes could go to Gabby instead of Alexander and/or Cornemen. Alexander in only shooting 24% from the floor and 46% from the free throw line. You have a 5th year senior and comparing her to a true freshmen. I'm not saying that Alexander isn't a good player but she seems to be having some trouble adjusting to the speed of the college game.

Comment

Working...
                            X