Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marist

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I think a #7 seed that was rated during the season wouldn't have been left out but that is just my take. There are bubble teams that are #12 seeds and there is a fairly big gap between a 7-seed and a 12-seed but since it didn't happen to us, who knows.

I'm willing to bet that some of the other mid-major leagues that get more than one bid were one bid leagues once upon a time. So it has (probably) happened, just not in the Summit League.

Isn't the WNIT the tournament just below the NCAA Tourney? We went 4-1 in that tournament last year. IUPUI went to that tournament and went 1-1. If they would have been 3-1, I think some basketball people might have noticed. Not many but if you get some people talking others might look at it, too. It might take a few years but they will catch on. I really think that SDSU and USD will both be really good this year. They both could be better than last year. One of those teams might win 3 or more games in the WNIT again. If we just have a couple of other teams(IUPUI, Western Illinois and 1 other team) win a few post season games, people will start looking.

I don't think SDSU schedule is the same as last year but their final record was 26-10. With a record better than that and WNIT success it is possible.
    Since 2009 mid-major at-large entrants:

2009:
    San Diego St MWC 23-7
    TCU MWC 20-10
    VCU

2010:
    Cal ST Fresno 27-6 WAC 13 seed
    UWGB Horizon 27-4 12 seed
    Hartford American East Conf 27-4 10 seed
    TCU, MWC 22-8 9 seed
    Temple Atl-10 24-8 8 seed
    U Ala Birmingham Sun Belt 26-6 11 seed

2011:
    Dayton Atl-10 21-11 11 seed
    Houston C-USA 26-5 8 seed
    La Tech WAC 24-7 10 seed
    MTSU Sun Belt 23-7 11 seed
    Temple Atl-10 23-8 10 seed

2012:
    MTSU Sun Belt
    St Bonaventure Atl-10 5 seed (sweet 16)
    Gonzaga wwc

2013:
    Creighton mvc 24-7
    Dayton atl-10 27-2

2014:
    BYU (SWEET 16)
    Tenn-Martin
    Dayton

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      Since 2009 mid-major at-large entrants:

2009:
      San Diego St MWC 23-7
      TCU MWC 20-10
      VCU

2010:
      Cal ST Fresno 27-6 WAC 13 seed
      UWGB Horizon 27-4 12 seed
      Hartford American East Conf 27-4 10 seed
      TCU, MWC 22-8 9 seed
      Temple Atl-10 24-8 8 seed
      U Ala Birmingham Sun Belt 26-6 11 seed

2011:
      Dayton Atl-10 21-11 11 seed
      Houston C-USA 26-5 8 seed
      La Tech WAC 24-7 10 seed
      MTSU Sun Belt 23-7 11 seed
      Temple Atl-10 23-8 10 seed

2012:
      MTSU Sun Belt
      St Bonaventure Atl-10 5 seed (sweet 16)
      Gonzaga wwc

2013:
      Creighton mvc 24-7
      Dayton atl-10 27-2

2014:
      BYU (SWEET 16)
      Tenn-Martin
      Dayton
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

You're saying we aren't as good as Cal St. Fresno, San Diego state, Hartford, U. Alabama Birmingham, Houston, La Tech, MTSU, Creighton, pick and choose from the list, look at their W/L record and their conference too and tell me with a straight face if you can we don't stand a chance of ever making an at-large in the Summit. It hasn't happened yet ,but don't say it can never happen, because it can, maybe not this year, but I got to believe if we are good enough, they'll pick us. I just grow weary of the defeatist attitude, where we're never good enough. I hope your wrong. I have more faith in the women's basketball program than you do evidently.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-24-2014, 10:51 PM.

Comment

That list says a lot. There a first time for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
            That list says a lot. There a first time for everything.
            Exactly, those powerhouse conferences the Wac, MWC, American East and Sun Belt can get a at-large bid, but the Summit, never going to happen.[/sarcasm] I read this as negativity, I'm more optomistic. Besides ,the selection committee picks teams for the tournament based on their own merit. The only thing conferences do is help to keep your RPI from dropping too much during the conference season if they have collectively stronger RPI's. During the 2009 season,the team RPI didn't drop as much as I was fearful of.

Comment

You're saying we aren't as good as Cal St. Fresno, San Diego state, Hartford, U. Alabama Birmingham, Houston, La Tech, MTSU, Creighton, pick and choose from the list, look at their W/L record and their conference too and tell me with a straight face if you can we don't stand a chance of ever making an at-large in the Summit. It hasn't happened yet ,but don't say it can never happen, because it can, maybe not this year, but I got to believe if we are good enough, they'll pick us. I just grow weary of the defeatist attitude, where we're never good enough. I hope your wrong. I have more faith in the women's basketball program than you do evidently.
              That is NOT what should be taken from this fun. It does indicate the steep hill for any Summit team this year. If USD beats Chattanooga this week, we would have another signature win in the conference OOC. However, those wins are few and far between for our conference. The conference has much weight in these post season decisions if signature wins in a tough OOC schedule are limited. We lost to Creighton, Marist, and Green Bay which as victories would have been headline material for an at large bid should the conference tourney go the wrong way for the Jackrabbits. At this point the history for our win loss situation would need to be enhanced from the OOC schedule to be in a more serious consideration as an at large. We will not jump into the AP Top 25 with a good conference record only.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                That is NOT what should be taken from this fun. It does indicate the steep hill for any Summit team this year. If USD beats Chattanooga this week, we would have another signature win in the conference OOC. However, those wins are few and far between for our conference. The conference has much weight in these post season decisions if signature wins in a tough OOC schedule are limited. We lost to Creighton, Marist, and Green Bay which as victories would have been headline material for an at large bid should the conference tourney go the wrong way for the Jackrabbits. At this point the history for our win loss situation would need to be enhanced from the OOC schedule to be in a more serious consideration as an at large. We will not jump into the AP Top 25 with a good conference record only.
                OK...this can go around and around forever until I make myself clear in what my position is, I didn't say this year....this years lost, as you say, I just have the contention against the Idea that some have, that the Summit won't ever have an at -large entrant into the NCAA tournament until the Summit gets to be ,I quote "a two bid conference". To further expound,say we had won the games we lost this year,they would still be saying we couldn't get an at-large if we lost the Summit League tournament,even based on our own merit (our record) alone. I say, had we won just another high profile game or two, we would be in contention for a spot and someday we will get one, regardless of the rest of the conference.
                It's better we get help from the rest of the conference like more high profile wins as you say, but it's not solely dependent upon that help, it can be just a teams own record and how good that team is and whether or not in the eyes of the selection committee that team is worthy or not. I might just be splitting hairs with everyone. We might be closer to agreement than not.

Comment

OK...this can go around and around forever until I make myself clear in what my position is, I didn't say this year....this years lost, as you say, I just have the contention against the Idea that some have, that the Summit won't ever have an at -large entrant into the NCAA tournament ,or to further expound,.... say we had won the games we lost this year, they would say we couldn't get an at-large if we lost the Summit League tournament, based on our own merit (our record) until the Summit gets to be ,I quote "a two bid conference". I say, had we won just another high profile game or two, we would be in contention for a spot and someday we will get one, regardless of the rest of the conference. It's better we get help from the rest of the conference like more high profile wins as you say, but it's not solely dependent upon that help, it can be just a teams own record and how good that team is and whether or not in the eyes of the selection committee that team is worthy or not. I might just be splitting hairs with everyone. We might be closer to agreement than not.
                  I'm with you on this one. A lot of posters keep referring to this year when posting rebuttals about getting an at-large. I haven't and you haven't ever said anything about this year. The Marist lost shattered any hope of that (and the hope was probably small before that but we would have had a decent resume with wins over MTSU, ULAR, and Arkansas) this year.

Saying a two bid summit is "fantasy" is just incorrect. It takes a special season and there isn't much room for error, but other conferences similar to the Summit have gotten two bids just like you proved. SDSU is building a pretty good program and is starting to get name recognition in womens basketball.

I'm hoping for a seed higher than 13 this year for the Summit so maybe we can win a game or two.

Comment

Thank you, MontanaRabbit

Comment

• Re: Marist

I will agree with you on the someday there will be 2 teams from the Summit headed to the NCAA Tourney. USD is building a resume of annual consistency that may get some attention for the conference. That is a prerequisite that we have at least 2 good teams. It would be unacceptable for our conference to have a team like Denver win the conference with a losing record and expect some extra teams to get in due to multiple upsets in the tournament. (That is my opinion with no basis for real numbers) There are other programs that have had some consistency at a lower level that need to bring more to the table to improve the conference. ORU, WIU, IUPUI, and maybe NDSU soon have some progress. The Yotes improving program is the best argument for an at large bid on the horizon. This year we see 3 teams with above .500 records. USD is 9-2, SDSU is 8-4, and WIU is 6-5. If USD beats Chattanooga this week and they have a great conference record, they would be more likely to qualify at large this year should SDSU come in as a #2 seed and win the conference tourney. The at large bid is likely to arrive. I still believe that the conference needs to improve to increase the probability of an at large arrival more quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        I will agree with you on the someday there will be 2 teams from the Summit headed to the NCAA Tourney. USD is building a resume of annual consistency that may get some attention for the conference. That is a prerequisite that we have at least 2 good teams. It would be unacceptable for our conference to have a team like Denver win the conference with a losing record and expect some extra teams to get in due to multiple upsets in the tournament. (That is my opinion with no basis for real numbers) There are other programs that have had some consistency at a lower level that need to bring more to the table to improve the conference. ORU, WIU, IUPUI, and maybe NDSU soon have some progress. The Yotes improving program is the best argument for an at large bid on the horizon. This year we see 3 teams with above .500 records. USD is 9-2, SDSU is 8-4, and WIU is 6-5. If USD beats Chattanooga this week and they have a great conference record, they would be more likely to qualify at large this year should SDSU come in as a #2 seed and win the conference tourney. The at large bid is likely to arrive. I still believe that the conference needs to improve to increase the probability of an at large arrival more quickly.
                        I'm in total agreement with you on USD getting lots of attention is a very good thing, and that if we lost the Summit League Tournament to them as opposed to a very weak team makes a difference. Yes, if we had the upper half of the conference beating high profile teams, it would stand to reason that the Selection Committee would therefore want to allow more than the one auto bid into the tournament. It's all contingent on space, if they can find the room for them. They try and pick the best field they can.

Wonder how long Amy Williams will coach USD before big names come calling if she continues to make the Yotes a very respected program? I think next year they will lose a lot in Seekamp and Cantrerras (sp?).They'll fight hard this year knowing that they have a strong team.
                        I'm sure Amy will build upon the success of this year to seek out better recruits .USD might become our biggest rivalry once again if she keeps it going.

Merry Christmas, and have a happy holidays !!
                        Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-25-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I'm in total agreement with you on USD getting lots of attention is a very good thing, and that if we lost the Summit League Tournament to them as opposed to a very weak team makes a difference. Yes, if we had the upper half of the conference beating high profile teams, it would stand to reason that the Selection Committee would therefore want to allow more than the one auto bid into the tournament. It's all contingent on space, if they can find the room for them. They try and pick the best field they can.

Wonder how long Amy Williams will coach USD before big names come calling if she continues to make the Yotes a very respected program? I think next year they will lose a lot in Seekamp and Cantrerras (sp?).They'll fight hard this year knowing that they have a strong team.
                          I'm sure Amy will build upon the success of this year to seek out better recruits .USD might become our biggest rivalry once again if she keeps it going.

Merry Christmas, and have a happy holidays !!

Merry Christmas to all!!!

now, my sentiments exactly. i, too, wonder how long amy williams might be at usd. she has done a wonderful job right from the start. i think if she continues to impress, big schools (opportunities) could be knocking. very shortly. she would be a hot commodity for the obvious reasons.
                          Last edited by krak-r-jacks; 12-26-2014, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
                            Merry Christmas to all!!!

now, my sentiments exactly. i, too, wonder how long amy williams might be at usd. she has done a wonderful job right from the start. i think if she continues to impress, big schools (opportunities) will be calling. very shortly. she would be a hot commodity.
                            "And to all a good night".......sorry,just couldn't leave it alone

Comment

Marist WBB drops a conference game tonight to a 3-10 Fairfield 56-55, they've dominated their conference even more than we have.So, it happens to not only us but to other conference powers too.

Comment

Working...
                              X