Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jacks vs Phoenix

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    No sugar coating it. They flat let one get away last night. Up 10 with four to go and committing a lot of turnovers and missing free throws. That was really sloppy down the stretch. Ouch!

Kind of the opposite of the Arkansas game. The ladies will learn more from last night than just about any other game. They let a very good team hang around just long enough to bite them.

That aside, I think there were a lot of positives to be had from the game too. Maci Miller was fantastic. She is the real deal and we have a bright, bright future with her at the point for three more years. Kerri Young was very good last night. She was aggressive and looking for her shot early. We need to see that consistently. Waytashek was consistent. The whole team struggled the last four minutes and that was the game.

Hats off to WGB for sticking around. They are a very good team and appear to be very well coached. Had a chance to visit with Megan Vogel and she was very complimentary towards the Jacks team. She was really impressed with Miller and where she is at as a freshman. I mentioned that she reminded me of a certain someone that used to wear #32 back in the day.

SUPERBUNNY
    In my ten years or so of following the Jacks , I don't think I have ever seen an AJ coached team let one get away like that. The bad part about the late turnovers was that Green Bay really wasn't trapping that hard - it was just sloppy passes and bad decision making. On the post-game radio interview , AJ thought part of it was the after effects of the road trip - said the team didn't practice well Monday and Tuesday either.

Comment

That aside, I think there were a lot of positives to be had from the game too. Maci Miller was fantastic. She is the real deal and we have a bright, bright future with her at the point for three more years. Kerri Young was very good last night. She was aggressive and looking for her shot early. We need to see that consistently. Waytashek was consistent. The whole team struggled the last four minutes and that was the game.

SUPERBUNNY
      I think it will be really interesting when Gabby gets back. Miller did a good job of applying light pressure and dealing with their pressure but she almost seems like a combo guard right now. She can handle the ball but she likes to shoot the ball. If she continues to shoot around 50%, I think we should all be happy. She did put up twice as many shots as anybody else and she had three assists and three turnovers.

I am not saying that she isn't a great player because she is and she will do awesome things at SDSU. She will be one of if not the best player to ever play at SDSU if she can keep up what she is doing. I just think if you take some of the pressure off of her from handling the ball the whole game she might be a little fresher then she already is. Of course some people don't play as good if they have the ball a majority of the time. I don't know if that is her or not.

I think Waytashek will be solid the whole season. Her numbers might be down a little this year but that is because we have other players that are aggressive on the offensive end of the court. If you only get 7 shots a game, you aren't going to put up eye popping numbers very often. I do think that this team will be like many other AJ teams where players will take turns having the "big game".

I agree with you point on Young. I think she had 5 assists and only 2 TO's. She also made over 60% of her shots. If we can get that out of her more nights than not, we should win a ton of games this year.

Comment

I think when you get a 10 point lead, that's the time to pour it on and take away their hope and bust their spirit, not let up as we have a tendency to do. We get up on an opponent, but can't take their fight away. In the long run , that makes you have to play harder the entire game, and doesn't help you become a better team. It keeps a team vulnerable for a comeback run.

Have to develop a killer instinct for lack of a better word. We learn to keep adding a little at a time to a 10 pt lead, then we'll have much easier games. I keep thinking of our semi-final with USD, they didn't stop adding to the lead until it was close to 20.We couldn't close that gap.

We have to get our post players more involved, got out scored in the paint by 20,but lots of those were lay ups after to's. Thompson 0,Ober 2,Clarin 8 (she's been steady pt producer)

Green Bay link
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-11-2014, 11:56 AM.

Comment

OMaci Miller was fantastic. She is the real deal and we have a bright, bright future with her at the point for three more years.
          No doubt. She's just a couple months into her career and already has 20+ point games against a ranked team and one that's about to be ranked. Look out.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            I think when you get a 10 point lead, that's the time to pour it on and take away their hope and bust their spirit, not let up as we have a tendency to do. We get up on an opponent, but can't take their fight away. In the long run , that makes you have to play harder the entire game, and doesn't help you become a better team. It keeps a team vulnerable for a comeback run.

Have to develop a killer instinct for lack of a better word. We learn to keep adding a little at a time to a 10 pt lead, then we'll have much easier games. I keep thinking of our semi-final with USD, they didn't stop adding to the lead until it was close to 20.We couldn't close that gap.

We have to get our post players more involved, got out scored in the paint by 20,but lots of those were lay ups after to's. Thompson 0,Ober 2,Clarin 8 (she's been steady pt producer)

Green Bay link
            Perhaps some foreshadowing here. The team down in Vermillion plays a lot like UW-Green Bay.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Can't wait til the next game, this team is very interesting to watch play.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                If Gabby comes back at close to 100% I think you start her and put Miller on the wing for this season. Takes the pressure of getting the ball up the floor off her shoulders and lets her concentrate on scoring , which she is very good at. I think her slashing ability would work very well off the wing. Bring Young off the bench for instant offense on the wing. Last night when Waytashek had to sit early with two fouls , the Jacks got absolutely nothing from that position. Against smaller teams you could start Young and bring Stevens off the bench.

for those who have been able to watch the jacks, would you really move Macy? i would have to question such a move. i was always of the belief that if Macy got in the position to see big minutes right away, it was going to be very difficult to take her out of that role.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
                  for those who have been able to watch the jacks, would you really move Macy? i would have to question such a move. i was always of the belief that if Macy got in the position to see big minutes right away, it was going to be very difficult to take her out of that role.
                  I think we worry too much. AJ will certainly want the best possible players when available. If you think Gabby will sit on bench at 100%, then it also seems illogical that Macy will sit if Gabby is on the floor at 100%. The combinations may change, but I think that there will be more players considered for many situations should Gabby get back on the floor. I would spend more time thinking about the advantages of having another quality player in the lineup than thinking about who is getting playing time cut(maybe).
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

This is a great problem to have. Going into the SL tourney and coach has to make these kind of choices is a great thing as far as I am concerned.

Comment

http://www.greenbayphoenix.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=22500&ATCLID=209876345

Green Bay's had a fabulous run and have been hovering at the edge of the AP top 25. Taken down, at home by our old Summit nemesis, Oakland.

Comment

Working...
                      X