Creighton returns to Frost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Creighton returns to Frost

Creighton is a Big East member and losing to them on our floor is no shame the way I see it. AJ is playing people who are months away from their last high school game. We will get them next time.

Comment

Creighton definitely looked good. They created problems defensively all night and put on a shooting display like you only see once or twice per year. In spite of that, we lost by just seven - the amount of freethrows we missed in the first half (42% from the line). That definitely hurt us.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        I don't get it - if you didn't know the score , you would swear we were up by 6 rather than down by 6. No urgency on offense , and on defense we played off of them and let them dribble and pass around the perimeter for 30 seconds on every possession. Their best three players foul out and you would think we would pressure the heck out of them.
        Agree. I'm not sure I've said this very often but I think we were out coached. When you have a young team like this - you need to ride your seniors a bit more. Waytashek hit her first 3 shots - but yet we do not try and get her the ball. She does not move in the offense - she sits in the corner and they do not move off of her when someone is driving to the basket as they know she's a 3-point shooter. When spread out, Clarin was to fast for thier posts and was getting fouled - we could have set that up many more times. We need to go to our leaders. Also, all three of our starting guards were 2-5 inches taller than their guards - yet we didn't post up Waytashek till the second half - which resulted in fouls. Young could have easily taken her guard to the basket if we had done a 4-out. When Jannings was on one of our taller guards-- why not expose that? Or go after thier shorter less talented SHORT guards. We let them dictate the pace and we played to their strength instead of making them defend our speed (Clarin) in the middle and height advantage at the guard spot. I've been an AJ fan for many many years -- but I think he needs to take this loss as a lesson also. I agree that our youth has a ton of talent - but we have to give them time and AJ needs to let the seniors lead.

Comment

She is good - but give her some time. She had trouble getting the ball up the court by herself and we had to bring in our 2 and 3 guard to help. She is going to be very very good - and probably the best SDSU has had - but give her some time to get use to the speed and pace of the D1 college game. She showed her inexperience when she is walking the ball up the court with less than 2 minutes remaining and down 9 pts. She isn't ready to lead the team and call out plays and read defenses. She'll get there but don't put that pressure on her now. We have a handful of seniors that have proven they have talent - and they can lead. So be patient as she will be great! But it doesn't happen overnight.

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
          Gotta get Macy more involved...or she needs to get herself more involved. She is wayyyyy too efficient offensively to be taking a handful of shots per game.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack View Post
            Agree. I'm not sure I've said this very often but I think we were out coached. When you have a young team like this - you need to ride your seniors a bit more. Waytashek hit her first 3 shots - but yet we do not try and get her the ball. She does not move in the offense - she sits in the corner and they do not move off of her when someone is driving to the basket as they know she's a 3-point shooter. When spread out, Clarin was to fast for thier posts and was getting fouled - we could have set that up many more times. We need to go to our leaders. Also, all three of our starting guards were 2-5 inches taller than their guards - yet we didn't post up Waytashek till the second half - which resulted in fouls. Young could have easily taken her guard to the basket if we had done a 4-out. When Jannings was on one of our taller guards-- why not expose that? Or go after thier shorter less talented SHORT guards. We let them dictate the pace and we played to their strength instead of making them defend our speed (Clarin) in the middle and height advantage at the guard spot. I've been an AJ fan for many many years -- but I think he needs to take this loss as a lesson also. I agree that our youth has a ton of talent - but we have to give them time and AJ needs to let the seniors lead.
            Our problem wasn't our offense it was our defense. We scored 81 points.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              Our defense will be much more tested against DePaul, hope we have it figured out in just 4 short days.

Comment

Agreed . Even in the last 2 or 3 minutes when we should have been pressing the heck out of them , the guards were playing off and allowing Creighton to dribble and pass around the perimeter and run way too much clock. I know I am biased , but we need some Boever-like defense on the perimeter - playing up tight and getting in the opposing guard's face. Like the guy in the All State commercials - create a little havoc ! I agree a couple of their 3 pointers went in on a wing and a prayer , but when you allow a team that was shooting that hot to put up almost 30 treys , you are not doing a good job of perimeter defense.

Comment

Have to remember pretty the whole team is filled with freshmen and sophomores. They will learn from this experience. I expect a good showing at DePaul then knock off MTU, Arkansas, and Green Bay.

Comment

Hope I'm not out of line here, but are we trying to develop players too fast, should we worry adout development when we should be concentrating on getting back into the game? When the teams been behind the whole game, sometimes double digit, why are we playing players with 1.5 pts per game avg? Time keeps ticking away.

Our best scorers and the best chance to get the lead is with our starting five.There will be better games and game situations to develop players.

However ,the Jacks get the best recruits because we do develop players early, and future recruits know they will get to play. After this yr, we will lose a lot to graduation, so maybe we have to prepare for that too. Coaching staff knows the best way to manage these things, me thinks.
                    Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-19-2014, 09:10 PM. Reason: spell/chk,added some content

Comment

I guess I am kind of feeling like I saw a different game last night than most of you.
                      The last three minutes and our wasted time I agree was just weird to me, we had no urgency. Beyond that, I felt but for that quick two minute stretch in the first half where Creighton pushed the lead to 16? 17? The Jacks played a good game.
                      Creighton was making baskets they had no right to, they seemed to be able to throw up a shot and it would go in. The ones that stick in my mind are the 4-5 times down the court we had played tough D and ran the time clock down to 1-2 seconds left, they would throw up a prayer and it would go in. I don’t think most nights that will happen and it equaled 12-15 points, not to mention many of those just seemed to take the air out of the ball and the crowd. And most of those possessions came when the Jacks were cutting the lead and working back into the game.
                      Creighton is a very fast team. We looked almost slow in comparison, but I don’t think we were built for speed like their team is.
                      Unlike most of you who thought Alexander was not doing well, I thought she added a quickness that we were lacking. She is young. She does make some mistakes, but I think she is going to be a component we haven’t had in a while – a true, FAST point guard. Her D will get better, but I didn’t think it was terrible last night.
                      Make our free-throws in the first half and it is a different game, I think we missed 10? or so on the game, if not more. We missed way too many rebounds last night it shouldn’t have even been close. We had a distinct height advantage on their team and we were not boxing out and getting rebounds.
                      Not going to touch on the refs, I thought they were pretty awful but you have to play the game they let you.
                      Our D did get much better the second half. Jennings had 18 of her 21? 23? Points in the first half. So the Jacks changed something that worked.
                      I walked away thinking two very good teams played and our ceiling was much higher. I think by the end of the season we will be a much better team than Creighton.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                        I guess I am kind of feeling like I saw a different game last night than most of you.
                        The last three minutes and our wasted time I agree was just weird to me, we had no urgency. Beyond that, I felt but for that quick two minute stretch in the first half where Creighton pushed the lead to 16? 17? The Jacks played a good game.
                        Creighton was making baskets they had no right to, they seemed to be able to throw up a shot and it would go in. The ones that stick in my mind are the 4-5 times down the court we had played tough D and ran the time clock down to 1-2 seconds left, they would throw up a prayer and it would go in. I don’t think most nights that will happen and it equaled 12-15 points, not to mention many of those just seemed to take the air out of the ball and the crowd. And most of those possessions came when the Jacks were cutting the lead and working back into the game.
                        Creighton is a very fast team. We looked almost slow in comparison, but I don’t think we were built for speed like their team is.
                        Unlike most of you who thought Alexander was not doing well, I thought she added a quickness that we were lacking. She is young. She does make some mistakes, but I think she is going to be a component we haven’t had in a while – a true, FAST point guard. Her D will get better, but I didn’t think it was terrible last night.
                        Make our free-throws in the first half and it is a different game, I think we missed 10? or so on the game, if not more. We missed way too many rebounds last night it shouldn’t have even been close. We had a distinct height advantage on their team and we were not boxing out and getting rebounds.
                        Not going to touch on the refs, I thought they were pretty awful but you have to play the game they let you.
                        Our D did get much better the second half. Jennings had 18 of her 21? 23? Points in the first half. So the Jacks changed something that worked.
                        I walked away thinking two very good teams played and our ceiling was much higher. I think by the end of the season we will be a much better team than Creighton.
                        This ^^^

I'm guilty of always slighting our opponent too much, and thinking we should dominate a little too much . Creighton's a good team and it is early in the season. No need to be overly concerned,and our stats were pretty good. Just growing pains.
                        Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-20-2014, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Correct. 14 threes is damn difficult to overcome. You have to force shooters off the 3 point line. It's a loss to a major conference team, nothing to hang your head about but certainly some concerns exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                          X