Next year's team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next year's team

I stand to be corrected or updated. Thanks RO.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
      Off topic for WBB- I've heard that local businesses have been pushing SDSU to develop an accounting major, and SDSU is taking steps to move in that direction.
      Who do you suppose is the biggest opponent to SDSU having an accounting major? Are friends who wear red to sporting events. Yes USD. I don't know why, I wanted major in accounting 50 years ago, but the only option was to go to USD. Since that time Augustana and I believe USF have added a major in accounting. In fact, I recall getting a letter from then SF College in 1959 telling that they offered enough courses to sit for the CPA. Apparently it was not a major then but most likely is now.

Comment

I'm careening off topic!....

(I think others who frequent this board know better than me, the history of SDSU and business degrees...here's my weak memory). The Regents (particularly in the 1970s and 1980s) tried to avoid more duplication of majors within the regental system. I wouldn't place all blame on the other institutions -- there was an effort to try to save money. Black Hills State, Northern State and USD all offered accounting as a major. Dakota State had a business degree which had an emphasis in accounting. Eventually SDSU expanded its 'business' offerings through economics degrees with emphasis in various areas. For example, you can earn a minor in accounting. ( http://catalog.sdstate.edu/preview_p...&returnto=1921 ).

I think the timing is good to make a run at adding business degrees by name. We are a large, comprehensive university and business degrees should be offered at SDSU. Our colleagues at North Dakota State award business degrees (and they have the same issues -- if they continue to be issues -- as South Dakota has in several state colleges/university in North Dakota offer the same business degrees). The components (class offerings; professors) for awarding the degrees are basically in place or could easily be put in place.

Related: I remember an incident in the 1970s when it was suggested there should be only one engineering school in South Dakota. (Trivia: At one time, USD offered engineering degrees I think into the early 1950s --- up north, NDSU and UND offer engineering degrees). Somebody friendly to the School of Mines & Tech tried to make the case that the engineering school in Rapid City produced engineers more efficiently for higher starting salaries etc., than SDSU. If my memory is accurate, SDSU behind the scenes suggested people should not invite that fight but the proponents of the change wouldn't back down. So, SDSU revved up the war machine and by the time the case for SDSU was made, people wondered why Tech remained open. (Jacks#1Fan, if you're reading this...am I close to accurate on that?) SDSU was producing engineers more cost effectively than Mines and our engineers were getting top-dollar jobs following graduation.

Back on the subject of business: I've always thought it noteworthy that bankers in South Dakota tend to have degrees from SDSU (and also Northern State) and very few from USD. I think the required understanding of agriculture by bankers is a significant factor.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          I'm careening off topic!....

(I think others who frequent this board know better than me, the history of SDSU and business degrees...here's my weak memory). The Regents (particularly in the 1970s and 1980s) tried to avoid more duplication of majors within the regental system. I wouldn't place all blame on the other institutions -- there was an effort to try to save money. Black Hills State, Northern State and USD all offered accounting as a major. Dakota State had a business degree which had an emphasis in accounting. Eventually SDSU expanded its 'business' offerings through economics degrees with emphasis in various areas. For example, you can earn a minor in accounting. ( http://catalog.sdstate.edu/preview_p...&returnto=1921 ).

I think the timing is good to make a run at adding business degrees by name. We are a large, comprehensive university and business degrees should be offered at SDSU. Our colleagues at North Dakota State award business degrees (and they have the same issues -- if they continue to be issues -- as South Dakota has in several state colleges/university in North Dakota offer the same business degrees). The components (class offerings; professors) for awarding the degrees are basically in place or could easily be put in place.

Related: I remember an incident in the 1970s when it was suggested there should be only one engineering school in South Dakota. (Trivia: At one time, USD offered engineering degrees I think into the early 1950s --- up north, NDSU and UND offer engineering degrees). Somebody friendly to the School of Mines & Tech tried to make the case that the engineering school in Rapid City produced engineers more efficiently for higher starting salaries etc., than SDSU. If my memory is accurate, SDSU behind the scenes suggested people should not invite that fight but the proponents of the change wouldn't back down. So, SDSU revved up the war machine and by the time the case for SDSU was made, people wondered why Tech remained open. (Jacks#1Fan, if you're reading this...am I close to accurate on that?) SDSU was producing engineers more cost effectively than Mines and our engineers were getting top-dollar jobs following graduation.

Back on the subject of business: I've always thought it noteworthy that bankers in South Dakota tend to have degrees from SDSU (and also Northern State) and very few from USD. I think the required understanding of agriculture by bankers is a significant factor.
          Your post is accurate. I had forgotten about the Janklow years and his penchment to not duplicate majors. There has been progress made, in that SDSU now offeers a minor. In the early 1960's, the only course offered was Prinicples of Accounting and on occasionly Cost Accounting. That was it. I think how NDSU got around this not offering accounting was to have their students interested in accounting going across the river to MUSM and sometimes Concordia. The campuses are next to each other.
          The costs were recipcal and the credits were transferred back to NDSU

The engineering story reminded me of H.M. Briggs classic statement when asked about moving the Engineering School to Rapid City. Briggs replied " It makes as much sense as castrating your prize bull." H.M was a very colorful in making comments. In 1957 when he became president, one of his first jobs was to can the Dean Of Engineering who had his degrees in Forestry and was hired by his processor, John Headley, who accidently was killed in a hunting accident. The engineering school had lost its accreditation for other reasons, I suppose, but main problem was the Dean was not even an engineer, but knew a lot about forestry.
          President Headley had a tragic experience at SDSU, with a background in secondary Education, but none in agriculture or engineering. There were several faculty that seem to have a free hand in doing whatever they wanted, especially Dr. Worzella from agronomy. Briggs also fired Worzella right away too. Worzella worked with farm groups and short circuited the legislature in getting research funds.

Maybe we should start a thread or section about memories of SDSU.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 04-30-2014, 08:06 AM.

Comment

I'll weigh in only to answer JackJD's question. Yes you are correct. And I think it is absolutely foolish that SDSU does not have an accounting degree.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
              [

Edit: This frees up a scholarship, right?
              There are 10 returning players and 4 LOI for the freshman class. I think 15 scholarships is correct.[/QUOTE]

If we filled the 2014-15 slot,we'd only have one available the following year.If we did not,we'd have two openings.

We have offers out to five really good candidates,I can't mention them by name,because they are unconfirmed offers.If we got any two of these five players,we'd really be doing well,one player would even put us on an even level with anyone I believe ,because she's really good ,except maybe final four teams (JMO).Add them to what we have already,look out!!

I think we'll wait and see what happens as all five are Jr's next yr.They should all choose fairly soon.Meanwhile,we keep recruiting,that never stops....oops,within the prescribed mandates of the NCAA of course!

I really like how we're stepping up our offers to higher profile players who can help facilitate a rapid advance forward with the program....being progressive in our approach to recruiting.We keep beating the elite and it all gets much easier....does Gino even have to recruit,or just choose who to offer, and accept the signed NLOI?
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 05-03-2014, 12:38 AM.

Comment

As you look at many of the Summit teams, there are many who have struggled to have a full travel team. The SDSU men and women teams have done well to keep quality players and a full roster. It makes the practice sessions better when there is a full roster. WIU was down to 8 total bodies at the end of the men's season which had to make preparation difficult. A full roster is an advantage to reloading every year as well. AJ has a roster of players that could be starters on nearly every team in the conference. Next year should bring a more competitive conference schedule as some teams continue to improve every year as well. Many of those teams build around a player or two more than showing strong players top to bottom. With Jessica Hart leaving, Chloe will be the only one left in the graduating class of 2016. It will be interesting to see if there is anyone that might surface to use the scholarship earlier. Since the yotes won the conference tournament, I am curioius to see the preseason poll for the conference. They are likely to believe they should be noted as the early favorite.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Since the yotes won the conference tournament, I am curioius to see the preseason poll for the conference. They are likely to believe they should be noted as the early favorite.
                  Their upset win in the tourney will not be enough to earn that, especially when they lost one of their obvious top-2 players. Looking at a full season of work, plus the returning/new players, I think it is safe to say SDSU will be the pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                    Their upset win in the tourney will not be enough to earn that, especially when they lost one of their obvious top-2 players. Looking at a full season of work, plus the returning/new players, I think it is safe to say SDSU will be the pick.
                    iupui and USD probably battle for 2nd.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      iupui and USD probably battle for 2nd.
                      and WIU and Denver could be close behind. Omaha, NDSU, IPFW, and ORU, will hold the bottom half. The Golden Eagles have struggled since Luper and company graduated.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

and WIU and Denver could be close behind. Omaha, NDSU, IPFW, and ORU, will hold the bottom half. The Golden Eagles have struggled since Luper and company graduated.
                        Plus I don't think Stinkwiner is the coach anymore.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          Plus I don't think Stinkwiner is the coach anymore.
                          He went to Utah State the yer ORU left the conference. The assistant took over for Luper's last year and this year was dismal for ORU women.

Comment

He went to Utah State the yer ORU left the conference. The assistant took over for Luper's last year and this year was dismal for ORU women.
                            Oh yeah, i forgot he went there, Its not good for the confrence they arent good but i dont personally mind it. I just not looking forward to any of the ORU posters egos if they come back to the site.

Comment

I want to see more Summit teams do well playing against other conference's teams and,heaven forbid[sarcasm],BCS schools, and winning a few games.It can't just be the Jacks carrying the mantle all the time,although IPFW did shock MSU at their house last year ,Kudos to them.IUPUI, big disappointment,play well in conference,do nothing to elevate their game out of conference.That's why the conference is perceived to be weak.
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 06-21-2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

A.J. just tweeted: "Great day to be a Jackrabbit!"
                                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                                X