Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 recruits

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    I've heard AJ say in the distant past...."if they need to reshirt their freshman year, then they aren't good enough to play here."
    I look at it as when puberty ends. Most girls are finished or are just about done growing when they enter college where as boys are still going through puberty and growing. A redshirt for a guy is sometimes needed to finish growing while ladies are usually done or are really close.
    Rollin' in my 5.0
    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      The speed of the men's game and strength required to compete on the men's side compared to high school is much bigger than on the women's side.
      It seems like AJ agrees. Thinking back over all the years I've been following WBB I'd have to say that you can't count on a player getting a lot better from the end of their freshman year on. Some certainly do, but a lot of times it is not dramatic. They don't pack on the muscle like men of the same age do, and they often don't need it.

I check in at good ol' Bisonville once in a while for amusement. Right now a bunch of them are banking on their WBB team being a contender in a couple years because this year's team was full of freshman. I can see why they are trying to stay optimistic but it definitely does not always work that way in the women's game. Sometimes what you see early is pretty much what you get at the end.

Comment

I just think AJ and coaching staff have a real good eye for talent,they don't have to be highly ranked either,it's been that way since I started following SDSU women's basketball.That's probably why he doesn't red shirt any except for injuries,he doesn't have to,they recruit players,that for the most part are pretty much plug'n play'. I believe in cranking out great players and keep the machine well fed. There are so many great players to choose from every year ,why save scholarships,use em all up,save one for maybe that star transfer or something.Having great teams goes a long way toward keeping it all humming along.

Comment

I've been watching SC/W online today. Wanted to get my first glimpse of Myah Selland. I've been trying to figure out how her game projects to SDSU and her closest comp as far as former Jacks from past 10 years or so. I came up with Jen Warkenthien? Seems like just does a lot of different things really well.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfan86 View Post
            I've been watching SC/W online today. Wanted to get my first glimpse of Myah Selland. I've been trying to figure out how her game projects to SDSU and her closest comp as far as former Jacks from past 10 years or so. I came up with Jen Warkenthien? Seems like just does a lot of different things really well.
            I've never seen Selland play but I have heard this comparison consistently. If this is true, we are getting a hell of a player.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

There are four Div 1 players playing in the Class A and Class B State Tournaments. SDSU has ,Myah Sellend for ,Sanborn Central /Woonsocket (class B).

Dru Gylten (Utah?)plays for ST Thomas More HS (class A), and Chloe Lamb (USD) who plays for Sully Buttes HS (class B).Madysen Vlastuin of Lennox HS has three Div 1 schollarship offers already as a freshman (from SDSU ,NDSU,USD ,that I know of)All games can be viewed through and courtesy of SDPB.
              Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-09-2017, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                There are four Div 1 players playing in the Class A and Class B State Tournaments. SDSU has two,Myah Sellend for ,Sanborn Central /Woonsocket (class B), and also Madysen Vlastuin for Lennox HS (class A). Dru Gylten plays for ST Thomas More HS (class A), and Chloe Lamb who plays for Sully Buttes HS (class B).All games can be viewed through and courtesy of SDPB.
                Has Vlastuin committed to SDSU? I hadn't heard if she did officially but that would be great. I've been told she has big-time talent so I hope she stays in state wearing blue and yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
                  Has Vlastuin committed to SDSU? I hadn't heard if she did officially but that would be great. I've been told she has big-time talent so I hope she stays in state wearing blue and yellow.
                  She's just a Freshman this year.I think I read about her on this board ,as they mentioned her brother (Jared) as a former Jackrabbit (T&F).Now I can't find it again,,,,,just offered or she committed,I can't seem to remember now.

Update: Edited my prior post
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-09-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    She's just a Freshman this year.I think I read about her on this board ,as they mentioned her dad as a former Jackrabbit (T&F).Now I can't find it again,,,,,just offered or she committed,I can't seem to remember now.
                    2020 recruiting thread
                    http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...-2020-Recruits

Comment

Just an offer, as far as I could find with Google.

Selland and SCW play on PBS tomorrow at 6:00. She had 30 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists and 5 steals today. Decent.

Comment

Tonight for Selland:
                        18 pts, 17 reb, 6 assists and 6 blocks. They play in the final tomorrow night.

This was the first full game I've seen her play. If I were to try and compare her to someone on the current roster I'd say that she is almost a perfect cross between Young and Thompson. Like Thompson, she is 6'1 and seems very comfortable with her back to the basket. She does not appear to have Young'a quickness and speed but she can drive to the rim or dribble on the outside. She must have gone behind her back a dozen times. Her passing skills in the lane really stood out. She would have had 10+assists with a little help from the shooters.

Comment

That was followed by two of the most exciting games I've witnessed in State Tournaments since I've been tuning in,the 'B' semi-final game between Sully Buttes and Ethan and the 'A' semi-final game between Lennox and Vermilion.All four teams fought tooth and nail,great defense and great shooting,nobody giving up an inch,tough,gritty physical play by all four teams.It's a shame two of the four lost,but congrats to Lennox and Sully buttes for being able to move on to their respective Championship games.

I watched the SC/Woonsocket game,and no doubt in my mind Sellend is the type of player who can really make an impact for the Jackrabbits for her career.She won't require coaching up a whole lot as her game is pretty solid as it is right now.In college she can throw the hard passes and unexpected ones without worrying so much about the receiving end of them.I'm really impressed with her teamates this year,they are so much better than they were last year,hitting big shots and playing really well as a team.They should continue to do well in Myah's absence next year...although I don't know how many of the other players,starters especially,are seniors too.

Comment

USD (Chloe Lamb) versus SDSU (Myah Selland) for the state B championship tonight.

Comment

Watching the State B championship. Sully Buttes has the better overall team but wow, Selland is unbelievable. Lamb is a great player but her and Selland are on different levels in every way. I've been told by people in the state who know basketball well that Myah has a higher ceiling than Macy Miller and I'm quickly seeing why.

Comment

Myah awarded Spirit of Su. Exactly the type of student athlete that AJ recruits. Congrats to Myah.

Comment

Working...
                                X