ORU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ORU

Jacks fall by 6 after Luper steals a pass to Young at top of key to try 3. Luper then goes coast to coast. ORU gutted through to this win. Two VERY evenly matched teams.

Comment

Wow. Not a good way to end it. What did we do differently during the 3un that got them back into it.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

will not miss ORU next year\

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          Wow. Not a good way to end it. What did we do differently during the 3un that got them back into it.
          missed a lot of shots, turnovers, steals the usual

Comment

We sure do like to pass, pass, pass around the perimeter, especially when things get tight. This would have been a great win, but it all comes down to 3 days in Sioux Falls. We'll be tough to beat there.

That being said, if this team does make the NCAA tourney, I'm afraid it will be as a 15-16 seed that gets thoroughly thumped. I don't think we are nearly as good as any team in the last 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              That being said, if this team does make the NCAA tourney, I'm afraid it will be as a 15-16 seed that gets thoroughly thumped. I don't think we are nearly as good as any team in the last 4 years.
              Wow. How quickly some people forget. Last year many people on this board said the Jacks were not a good team but they certainly turned it around in fine fashion. And now this year's team isn't nearly as good as last year's team? Hmmm...There is still a huge chunk of the conference season left. And aren't we still on top of the conference? AJ's teams always get better as the year goes along.

Comment

If someone had told me before the game that we hold Luper to 15 points,I would have expected a victory. It was the scoring from the secondary players like Pyle and Jones that did the Jacks in.

Comment

To set the record straight, I definitely think we are capable of winning the conference. In fact, I'd say we are still the favorite. We played a sub-par game and nearly beat ORU on the road. I still don't think we are as good as years past. No one has come close to filling Macie's shoes. We are currently lacking big-time at point guard (see the pass, pass, pass, offense we run).

It would be incredible to be able to say we made it to a 4th straight NCAA tourney. This year though, I'm definitely not expecting any more than that. In the past there was normally some hope of an seed <14 and an upset in the NCAA. Just getting there would be awesome this year. It's funny how we can comfortably expect more from the women's team than the men's.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    If someone had told me before the game that we hold Luper to 15 points,I would have expected a victory. It was the scoring from the secondary players like Pyle and Jones that did the Jacks in.
                    I hear ya. 17 total points for Luper and Bigham (no 3's) and only 14 TO's for us...shoulda been a W...it will be next time and the next
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I come to think after this game that we can and will beat ORU at Frost.We shot poorly again,and yet we could of won this game very easily.We didn't even out rebound them.Our women can feel comfortable in knowing we can beat this team,just fore go those long dry spells when there isn,t any scoring.Luper is a smart basketball player,for example, they just got a one point lead ,and the very next possession she drove to the basket and threw up a terrible shot,but got the foul call.She knows when the ref's are likely to call fouls,and she takes advantage of it.

Comment

Of the SDSU D-I teams, I'd put this one about in the middle. Obvious #1 was the top 25 team. But this team fits right in with all the others. I agree that they are still to continue the NCAA tradition. However, they have a great shot. I also would almost rather see them win the regular season, and lose a tight well fought Summit final, then have SDSU host all the way to a WNIT final or championship, as opposed to being fodder for Baylor/UConn/Stanford as an one-n-done NCAA choice.

These ladies are mostly playing well vs Summit opponents. I don't envision >4 loses in the rest of the Summit games. Only the UMKC/USD road trip will possibly contain a loss.

Watching the energy that the SUU/ORU road trip is going to contain a loss if not swept on the road trip. We let the game escape in Tulsa. Need to get the energy to beat the T-birds Mon.

Comment

We haven't got to the next level, for sure.Top 25 teams shoot well (no long streaks of running around without scoring),are extremely disciplined ,and efficient.Have quickness and play a smothering defense.They are very efficient and don't hurt themselves with needless to's.The top 25 team was right at this level.They were quite capable of winning against other ranked teams on a given night.That team had more than it's fair share of excellent perimeter shooters to go with excellent players inside.A well rounded team,with plenty of reserves to give the starters rest w/o much drop off in scoring or defense.Notre Dame and UConn went toe to toe with each other,yet, each team scored points fairly regularly ,no long periods of time not scoring,and this is against two really tough defenses to boot.That ended up a Notre Dame victory by seven points,if they play again,each team knows the other is capable of beating them,unless they play their best.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-08-2012, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                            To set the record straight, I definitely think we are capable of winning the conference. In fact, I'd say we are still the favorite. We played a sub-par game and nearly beat ORU on the road. I still don't think we are as good as years past. No one has come close to filling Macie's shoes. We are currently lacking big-time at point guard (see the pass, pass, pass, offense we run).

It would be incredible to be able to say we made it to a 4th straight NCAA tourney. This year though, I'm definitely not expecting any more than that. In the past there was normally some hope of an seed <14 and an upset in the NCAA. Just getting there would be awesome this year. It's funny how we can comfortably expect more from the women's team than the men's.
                            I agree. We are NOT as good a team as we have been the last 3 or 4 years. You cannot graduate the quality players we have - not replace them and be as good as we have been. WE do not have a Jenn Workenthein (sp), Maria B, Macie, Rotert, Ketty on this team and I could go on. Do we have good players? YES we do. Just not as good as we have had. We talk about - do we have a chance to win the Summit Conference and tournament? We certainly do. But, the last three years or so the talked was centered around who COULD beat us?

I love this team and YES - AJ will have them ready to play. But, without the talent he has had in the past.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse, but here's the time period where we lost control of the game.Up by 11 at 9:39 left,ORU makes a three ,(can't really count that)lead to 8,miss 3 pt SDSU,FT-good ORU,lead is 7,miss 3 pt SDSU,FT-good ORU,lead to 6,missed layup SDSU,layup good ORU,lead down to 4,missed 3 pt SDSU, missed layup SDSU,layup good ORU,lead to 2,T.O. SDSU,3 pt good ORU and a one point lead at 5:33(about 4 min of a 40 min game) and all the confidence in the world that they can now win this game.It was a dog fight til the very end after this horrid stretch of the game for us.

Also,had 3 turnovers and a missed layup contribute to going from 11 points up to just 2 from about the 5:14 mark to the end of the half.

Either of these don't happen, and we get the win instead of a disappointing loss.If we learn to play 40 minutes , instead of 30 minutes a game,we won't have to worry about losing a game.We can't keep giving opponents 10 minute periods where we score nothing or very little.Work to do after this road trip.
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-08-2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                                I agree. We are NOT as good a team as we have been the last 3 or 4 years. You cannot graduate the quality players we have - not replace them and be as good as we have been. WE do not have a Jenn Workenthein (sp), Maria B, Macie, Rotert, Ketty on this team and I could go on. Do we have good players? YES we do. Just not as good as we have had. We talk about - do we have a chance to win the Summit Conference and tournament? We certainly do. But, the last three years or so the talked was centered around who COULD beat us?

I love this team and YES - AJ will have them ready to play. But, without the talent he has had in the past.

GBGBGJ
                                The two main things this team hasn't found yet is a second reliable outside shooter,and a point guard that can get some penetration and create open shots for her team-mates. I would also move Lingle into the starting line-up and have Dietel come off the bench. Katie is more of a scorer,and can get some mis-matches on the offensive end. Having a starter that plays major minutes and basically gets no scoring puts that much more pressure to score on the other four.

Comment

Working...
                                X