Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland GDT

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    USD 28, ORU 27 WBB at half. USD is the surprise team in the Summit.
    I really don't know if I'd say that USD is a surprise team. I thought that they would be a top 4 or 5 teams in the conference. They did win @ Oakland but other than that, they are about where I they would be. I thought that ORU, Oakland and SDSU would be the top 3 and USD could be right after that. SDSU came in and they were the top team. USD isn't all that far behind SDSU. I think Hegge should be 1st team all conference.
    There is a big difference between mens and women's basketball. USD's men will struggle for a few years. In women's basketball, there aren't as many "top" teams. I guess after Hegge, Roache and Boss graduate, USD will drop down a little bit but they still shouldn't be a bottom 2 team in the conference. The men might be bottom 2 for a few years. Of course, with UNO coming in, that should move them up a spot or 2.

Comment

I might be the only one but I think Oakland beats us when we play there. Carnago got into foul trouble and that was the difference in the game. I do think she went over the back when she came back in for what would have been her 5th foul but her 1st and 4th fouls were tough calls. Frost would have went crazy if they made those calls against SDSU. When they went to a 4 guard's, we posted them up and used our size. We did a good job at cutting their quick guards off but will they call that a foul on the road. I think their quickness was part of the reason we didn't play great.
      I'm not saying that we can't win. I think we can but relying on somebody to get into foul trouble is tough. We can win even if she isn't in foul trouble but it would have been a different game if she would have played more.

Comment

I'd say it's early, but it looks like the Jacks and ORU for the title with the rest of the Summit being the spoilers for one or the other.At least have to split this year with ORU.ORU more vulnerable than last year w/o Bigham at the level she was last year.NDSU comming out of their slump?We just have to play hard each and evey game and keep the pressure on ORU to do the same.Will be interesting to see who "cracks" first and loses a game they shouldn't have.

Comment

I, too, think its looking like SDSU and ORU.

It's a little sad to see what's happened to NDSU's women's program. The Bison are not just in a slump, I think they've slumped over and may be comatose.

Comment

Then the Bison surprise and win vs IPFW. Is IPFW that bad this season? Was that a miracle game by the Bison. Personally, before last nite, I thought NDSU was the most likely candidate to join USD in not going to Sioux Falls.

Yes to it coming down the ORU/SDSU

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
              I agree SB. Maybe my expectations of Oakland were to high? They were picked second in the conference behing Oral and ahead of the Jacks. The Jacks played poorly and still won by 10. Oakland has zero outside shooting. 24% from three point line for the year as a team. If we would have defended the back door cuts and the paint RIGHT under the bucket better we would have won by 20. USD beat them by 7 in Oakland. Therefore, I am suggestion that Oakland is not as good as people thought and the USD is much better than people expected.

3-0 in the Summit is very important right now.

GBGBGJ
              It is premature to write off Oakland three games into an 18 game conference schedule,just like no one abandoned the Jacks when they scored 4 points in 20 minutes not too long ago. The Grizz have 4 starters back from the team that I watched take apart ORU by 30 plus points in the semifinal in Sioux Falls last March,plus they gave us all we could handle the next day. Watterworth is probably the 2nd best player in the Summit,and will most likely be more of a factor when the two teams meet again.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                In listening to the post game interview clips, it is clear that SDSU went after, and succeeded in liimiting Brittany Carnago's time and effectiveness. She is the defense for Oakland. Limit her, limit Oakland. SDSU did that.

This was a coaching game. AJ's game plan went well, albeit short on Jill really torching the 3's. Becky's did not.

This season, vs. Oakland, will be grind it out, low scoring affairs.

Listened to ORU WBB coach after the USD game. USD is a halfcourt team, and never played an ORU paced game at all.

Jacks are much more a defensive team this season than a high-scoring offensive juggernaut that they were during the 08-09 season. We could still end up 17-1 in conference. Please recognize that this year's Summit start is even better than the 08-09 season, IN THE SUMMIT.

The more I watch this team, the more I appreciate that they have the ability to win ANY game. IMHO, WBB at SDSU is poised to be the regular season champ of the Summit. Next weekend, we'll see if ORU is indeed down due to Jaci Bigham's lack of full recovery from knee injury. But first, need to blow out IPFW, or at least get the W.

Jacks should be #1 in Power rating in Summit after this weekend, barely ahead of ORU.
                granted, only by going from what i hear on the radio---but, it seems we will see very few, if any, blowouts from this team. offensive production just doesn't seem to be there. i expect much closer games the rest of the season---single digit wins. not a bad thing, just as long as it's a w.

also, was listening to a discussion on tearing your acl. i was starting to believe they can fix just about anything nowadays, but, after listening to an ex-pro football player talk about it, i have a little bit different perspective on the injury, again. this guy was speaking from personal experience---he said, "don't let them kid you, the knee is never the same. never will be." he also stated that some people can come back from it, and some people can't. said the rehab wear's on you. long and boring. said it isn't that grueling---just really boring. a big part of [the injury] is mental. he said it's one of the toughest aspects of the injury and many don't get over that hump. and many just don't respond well to the rehab, period. the discussion went on and on---pretty interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  It is premature to write off Oakland three games into an 18 game conference schedule,just like no one abandoned the Jacks when they scored 4 points in 20 minutes not too long ago. The Grizz have 4 starters back from the team that I watched take apart ORU by 30 plus points in the semifinal in Sioux Falls last March,plus they gave us all we could handle the next day. Watterworth is probably the 2nd best player in the Summit,and will most likely be more of a factor when the two teams meet again.
                  I agree. As long as you make it to the Summit Tournament you have a chance. I don't think any of the teams are dominating in such a fashion that I could pick any of them. The Women have to keep their eye on every game is important from here on out. There are no gimmes for either Men or Women, IMO. The only thing I do know, is neither USD team will make the tourney this year.
                  With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                    I might be the only one but I think Oakland beats us when we play there. Carnago got into foul trouble and that was the difference in the game. I do think she went over the back when she came back in for what would have been her 5th foul but her 1st and 4th fouls were tough calls. Frost would have went crazy if they made those calls against SDSU. When they went to a 4 guard's, we posted them up and used our size. We did a good job at cutting their quick guards off but will they call that a foul on the road. I think their quickness was part of the reason we didn't play great.
                    I'm not saying that we can't win. I think we can but relying on somebody to get into foul trouble is tough. We can win even if she isn't in foul trouble but it would have been a different game if she would have played more.
                    Does she still wear a knee brace? Last year I thought we used the high post to make her come out of the paint to guard us. Maybe I dont remember wrong but basically having her guard us away from the basket is about the same as taking her off the court getting her out of her comfort zone. Oakland really stuck it to ORU in the tourny last year and they are pretty much the same teams. I just think we match up and are a little better then oakland. Carnago really disrupted ORU last year in sioux falls, blocked a lot of shots or altered them. Plus it didnt hurt ORU was winded playing a short bench and oakland shot lights out on 3s. I just know last year I was glad oakland beat ORU because I figured we could beat oakland but was worried about facing ORU again.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I thought Oakland and SDSU played more or less like mirror images of each other for most of the game--both teams, I thought, were not playing to their potentials, both making plenty of mistakes, both not taking advantage of the other team's mistakes.

The differences in this game:
                      1: SDSU absolutely destroyed Oakland in rebounding (41-27).
                      2: Oakland didn't get to the free throw line as much as SDSU did, and when they did, they shot atrociously (4-11 vs. 15-19 for SDSU). There's the margin of victory right there.

The next game will be different. My impression is that these are two pretty evenly matched teams.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Oakland really stuck it to ORU in the tourny last year
                        Yeah, but that was after Bigham tore her ACL, even though that b@stard Finkbeiner played her in that game.

Comment

after watching Oakland against the U and last night against the Jacks I would have to agree that this is going to be a down year for the grizz. Carnago fouled out against the U and came close last night. go at her and get her in foul trouble and the grizz have problems. Carnago has been a good shot blocker but has had very few high scoring games this year. When she is out the grizz go to a three small guard offense and with the rotations Minifee usually ends up guarding the post like last night against Sunny and against Hegge for the U. The Jacks recognized that late in the first half and started dumping it in for some easy layups. I don't see Oakland beating State at Oakland this year. If the Jacks go like last year the longer the conf season went the better they got. I don't see Oakland getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            Yeah, but that was after Bigham tore her ACL, even though that b@stard Finkbeiner played her in that game.
                            looking at ORUs game stats Bigham is not the player this year she was last year before the injury.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                              looking at ORUs game stats Bigham is not the player this year she was last year before the injury.
                              She may not have been even if Finkbeiner hadn't made a show of her in warmups and actually played her in the Oakland game, but the way he handled her was despicable.

Dykstra & Wolters are in walking boots. I remember, almost six months after soccer season ended, seeing the Jacks' goalie Lograsso so stiff she could barely climb the bleachers. Megan Vogel needed surgery on her knee the year after she graduated. Competing at a high level in college is hard on your body. Some of these players are going to have life long consequences.

But Finkbeiner practically ensured that Bigham's knee will never be 'right', and that's just .....

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                                But Finkbeiner practically ensured that Bigham's knee will never be 'right', and that's just .....
                                What is... Asinine?

Comment

Working...
                                X