Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU v. Washington State

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    Give me a break! WSU comes in ranked 40th, and we're at 97th and there is a reason they are ranked that high (having beat Wisconsin by 17 two nights earlier). WSU's matchup zone trap defense was executed to perfection (almost) and they had the quick, athletic and long players to do it. The difference in the game wasn't our inability to handle the press and trap zone, but the fact that we made our free throws this time around instead of what happened at MTSU. The almost I inserted above refers to the fact that they were at times overly aggressive and fot themselves in foul trouble. It is hard for officials not to call fouls when teams get overaggressive in rushing up to the trap or reaching in to hard. It was a good game, and a great win for the Jacks. Anytime a team comes in from the power conferences and we are able to beat them is a huge credit IMO to good coaching and the persistence of our team, which rallied time and again.
    Getting a win is great and the girls showed a lot of heart down the stretch. But winning or losing that game does not mask the problem we have at the point this year. The pressure primarily was coming up the court one on one with the point and that advantage should always go to the ball handler unless there is an issue with quickness and ball handling.

Comment

The thing that jumps out at me listening to the games (Will watch closer when I get to see them in person) is our guards give up their dribble very fast, which then lets the other team set the trap. Can't tell you how many times I heard yesterday, So and So picks up her dripple, the cougars set to on a trap... she throws the ball away. We also seem to think we can stand and pass, need to work on passing under control in movement, rather than stopping setting and expecting the lanes to stay open. Was always taught to keep your dribble alive because it forces the D to be honest. That said, the last two games we faced very strong presses that were quick to the ball, I think as the season goes on the girls will get more comfortable with ball movement. But were I AJ (and we all know I am not so take it for what it is worth) I would be making our guards run ball handling drills against some very tight D working on not being so quick to give up the dribble and working on passing in movement.

Comment

Is Wash.State a good team and was this a good win for the Jacks ? Absolutely. Will the Cougars be a top 40 RPI team at season's end ? Not likely - people that should know the PAC 10 pick them 7th for a reason. There will be better teams coming into Frost - K-State and ORU for sure and maybe Ark L.R and even Oakland. The Jacks have some holes,but so do most teams other than an elite 10 or 15 at the top. It will be interesting to see how these holes are filled,and by what combination of players. Over-all defense seems to be improved,but handling pressure and getting into an offensive flow needs to be worked on.

Comment

3-1 and we have room to grow because its November. Not bad.

Comment

Here comes the math:

Doing some calculations, here's what I come up with:

For the players listed at guard, here's the results, in minutes-per-turnover (i.e. number of minutes on average between each turnover--so a higher number is better, that is fewer turnovers per minute--got it?)

For all of 2010-11, SDSU had an MPT of 12.03 vs. 8.89 so far in 2011-12.

MPT for Senior guards in 2010-11 was 12.11 vs. 14.75 in 2011-12.
            MPT for Junior guards in 2010-11 was 15.72 vs. 6.06 in 2011-12.
            MPT for Sophomore guards in 2010-11 was 10.55 vs. 9.32 in 2011-12.
            MPT for Freshmen guards in 2010-11 was 9.11 vs. 5.33 in 2011-12.

OK, now by player-groups:
            Macie Michelson, the only Senior listed as a guard last year, had MPT of 12.11.
            Jill Young, senior this year, junior last year, MPT in 2010-11 of 15.72 vs. 14.75 this year.
            Ashley Eide, junior this year, soph. last year, MPT in 2010-11 of 10.55 vs. 6.06 this year.
            Sophomores this year (freshmen last year) are Tara Heiser, Steph Palauch and Megan Waytashek.
            Their MPT in 2010-11 was 9.11 vs. 9.32 this year.
            Freshmen this year, Gabby Boever and Rachael Walters have MPT of 5.33 this year.

Now, observations:

1: From where I sit, the Jacks have played a much tougher schedule so far in 2011-12 than they did on average in 2010-11 (taken as an entire season). St. Cloud State/Utah State/MTSU/Washington State this year. St. Cloud is certainly a better basketball team this year than Centenary was last year, and MTSU and Wazzou would both be prime candidates for a Summit League championship--even given Oral Roberts this year, and Utah State would be a top-half finisher in the Summit. Look at it another way--MTSU plays a game very much like Oral Roberts. Imagine playing them seven times in a year rather than two--that's the equivalence you need to look at with the 2011-12 season being 4 games in vs. the 27/28 game complete season schedule (not counting post-season). Wild card here is that three of the four games have been at home, and the Jacks simply looked bad in their one road game, vs. MTSU.

2. Having said that--our freshmen are really struggling. Four games into their first Division I season, this is not particularly surprising, I think. But the two freshmen guards simply need to figure it out, or they won't be playing very much from December onward during the minutes in games that actually decide things. (This is the natural state of the college basketball freshman, of course, whose natural habitats--lest we forget--is at the end of the bench next to the red-shirts, and bit appearances at the end of games which are no longer in doubt.)

3. The sophomores as a group seem to be--at least in my opinion, a bit of a pleasant surprise, especially given how much they're playing. Of course Heiser and Palauch are much more prototypical point-guard-type players than Eide who was a sophomore last year, and is a bit more of an off-guard, so that enters into it.

4. However, Eide is, in relative terms, struggling like a freshman in her jump from soph. to junior. We'll see if this is just early-season jitters and settling into a much more important role on this team, but as of right now, her turnovers strike me as being among the biggest problems from last year to this year (on a stats basis, anyway). She does seem to be playing much more this year with the kind of offensive aggressiveness she needs to be effective, and the natural result of that aggressiveness will be more turnovers. She needs to keep being aggressive while at the same time also learning to be more careful with the ball. Yeah, I know, I'd like fries with that.

5. Having dinged Ashley Eide more than enough, I think, I was actually a bit surprised that on a minutes-per-turnover basis, Jill Young is actually better than Macie Michelson was. But in thinking about it, Michelson was inclined to take a lot more chances with the ball, both dribbling and passing, than Young is. So perhaps that's not really so surprising after all.

There is no doubt however that the turnover "issue" needs to be fixed. An MPT of 12 is not good. An MPT of around 9 player-minutes between turnovers on average (or less than two game-minutes between turnovers) so far this year has to be just completely unacceptable to players, coaches, and everybody, even given the opponents we've faced.

I dunno, I think I killed the horse. Anybody want to take another whack at it, just in case?
            Attached Files
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              Here comes the math:

For the players listed at guard, here's the results, in minutes-per-turnover (i.e. number of minutes on average between each turnover--so a higher number is better, that is fewer turnovers per minute--got it?)

Jill Young, senior this year, junior last year, MPT in 2010-11 of 15.72 vs. 14.75 this year.
              Ashley Eide, junior this year, soph. last year, MPT in 2010-11 of 10.55 vs. 6.06 this year.
              Sophomores this year (freshmen last year) are Tara Heiser, Steph Palauch and Megan Waytashek.
              Freshmen this year, Gabby Boever and Rachael Walters have MPT of 5.33 this year.

Now, observations:

1: From where I sit, the Jacks have played a much tougher schedule so far in 2011-12 than they did on average in 2010-11 (taken as an entire season). St. Cloud State/Utah State/MTSU/Washington State this year. St. Cloud is certainly a better basketball team this year than Centenary was last year, and MTSU and Wazzou would both be prime candidates for a Summit League championship--even given Oral Roberts this year, and Utah State would be a top-half finisher in the Summit. Look at it another way--MTSU plays a game very much like Oral Roberts. Imagine playing them seven times in a year rather than two--that's the equivalence you need to look at with the 2011-12 season being 4 games in vs. the 27/28 game complete season schedule (not counting post-season). Wild card here is that three of the four games have been at home, and the Jacks simply looked bad in their one road game, vs. MTSU.

2. Having said that--our freshmen are really struggling. Four games into their first Division I season, this is not particularly surprising, I think. But the two freshmen guards simply need to figure it out, or they won't be playing very much from December onward during the minutes in games that actually decide things. (This is the natural state of the college basketball freshman, of course, whose natural habitats--lest we forget--is at the end of the bench next to the red-shirts, and bit appearances at the end of games which are no longer in doubt.)

3. The sophomores as a group seem to be--at least in my opinion, a bit of a pleasant surprise, especially given how much they're playing. Of course Heiser and Palauch are much more prototypical point-guard-type players than Eide who was a sophomore last year, and is a bit more of an off-guard, so that enters into it.

4. However, Eide is, in relative terms, struggling like a freshman in her jump from soph. to junior. We'll see if this is just early-season jitters and settling into a much more important role on this team, but as of right now, her turnovers strike me as being among the biggest problems from last year to this year (on a stats basis, anyway). She does seem to be playing much more this year with the kind of offensive aggressiveness she needs to be effective, and the natural result of that aggressiveness will be more turnovers. She needs to keep being aggressive while at the same time also learning to be more careful with the ball. Yeah, I know, I'd like fries with that.

5. Having dinged Ashley Eide more than enough, I think, I was actually a bit surprised that on a minutes-per-turnover basis, Jill Young is actually better than Macie Michelson was. But in thinking about it, Michelson was inclined to take a lot more chances with the ball, both dribbling and passing, than Young is. So perhaps that's not really so surprising after all.

There is no doubt however that the turnover "issue" needs to be fixed. An MPT of 12 is not good. An MPT of around 9 player-minutes between turnovers on average (or less than two game-minutes between turnovers) so far this year has to be just completely unacceptable to players, coaches, and everybody, even given the opponents we've faced.

I dunno, I think I killed the horse. Anybody want to take another whack at it, just in case?
              I felt like I was reading a homework assignment.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Was at the game yesterday. The thing that really stood out to me was their team speed vs ours. Not so much their "bigs" but their guards.
                When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

Here comes the math:

Now, observations:

Not sure what this is going to do to your math, but Steph is a junior not a sophomore.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                    Not sure what this is going to do to your math, but Steph is a junior not a sophomore.
                    Well, you know, you get the analysis you pay for around here . . .
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Well, you know, you get the analysis you pay for around here . . .
                      Steph Paluch IS a sophomore. Did she redshirt? all of my programs from THIS YEAR say she is a sophomore.
                      Great moments are born from great opportunities.
                      ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by Madi V:)Mitchell View Post
                        Steph Paluch IS a sophomore. Did she redshirt? all of my programs from THIS YEAR say she is a sophomore.
                        There you go, then . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

ha
                          ---Herb Brooks

Comment

ha
                            Except that GoJacks.com seems convinced that she's a junior this year . . . with stat sheets from 2009-10 and 2010-11 to back them up . . .
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Except that GoJacks.com seems convinced that she's a junior this year . . . with stat sheets from 2009-10 and 2010-11 to back them up . . .
                              that's ridiculous. they announced her as a sophomore at the game yesterday. I heard it with my own ears.
                              ---Herb Brooks

Comment

that's ridiculous. they announced her as a sophomore at the game yesterday. I heard it with my own ears.
                                Palluch is a junior, Heiser is a red shirt soph.

Comment

Working...
                                X