Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WNIT

Originally posted by ringthebells
    Will USD be eligible to make WNIT next year?
    You're not serious are you??? They won't be moving up until after next year. Plus Chad has to make his team way better than they currently are to have a shot at the WNIT.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack
      Well I did some fact finding about the WNIT from the last two years and here is what I found.

For 2006:

Out of the total 41 games played, the home team won 36 times.  The team that won last years WNIT was Kansas St. and they hosted every game at home and of course won every game.  The second place team, Marquette, hosted every game at home, except the championship game and they won every game at home and lost the only road game they played.  Prior to the WNIT, Kansas St,was ranked No. 54 in the NCAA RPI and Marquette was ranked No. 57.

For 2005:

Out of the total 31 games played, the home team won 25 times.  The team that won the 2005 WNIT was Southwest Missouri St. (I think this is now Missouri St.) and they hosted every game at home and won every game.  The second place team, West Virginia, played two games on the road and lost the championship game on the road.  I could not find the NCAA RPI rankings for 2005.

In summary, it is very important to play games at home and teams with RPI's in the mid-50's don't always make it to the NCAA tourney, but are very successful in the WNIT.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
      Well I did some more research on attendance for the WNIT for the 2005-2006 season. Last year the WNIT had 40 schools in the tourney and this year they will have 48 teams. Of the 40 teams last year, only 16 teams played in round one. Here is a summary of the attendance for those games.

Round One

The worst attended game was Jackson St. @ Rice, with 328 attendance.
      The most attended game was UC Santa Barbara @ Fresno ST. with 1820 attending.
      The average attendance for the eight games was 935 for Round One.

Round Two

This round consisted of 16 games
      The worst attended game was Illinois @ Marquette, with 609 attendance
      The most attended game was Idaho St. @ Kansas St. with 3,775 attendance
      The average attendance for these 16 games was 1,676 for Round Two.
      5 of the 16 games had less than 1,000 attendance.
      11 of the 16 games had less than 2,000 attendance
      All but one game had less than 3,000 attendance

Round Three

This round consisted of 8 games
      The worst attended game was Xavier @ Villinova, with 423 attendance
      The most attended game was Fresno St. @ Kansas St. with 4,794 attendance
      The average attendance for these 8 games was 2,795 for Round Three.
      1 of the 16 games had less than 1,000 attendance
      4 of the 16 games had less than 2,000 attendance
      Only 3 games had more than 4,000 attendance

Round Four

This round had 4 games
      The worst attendance was Western Kentucky @ Villinova with 423 attendance
      Next was Virginia @ Pittsburgh with 1,504 attendance
      Next was Indiana @ Marquette with 1,943 attendance
      The most attended game was Nebraska @ Kansas St. (Big 12 game) 6,258 attendance.

Round Five

This round had 2 games
      Pittsburgh @ Marquette 2,307 attendance
      Western Kentucky @ Kansas St. 7,538 attendance

Championship Game

Marquette @ Kansas St. 13,340 attendance. Kansas St. won the WNIT by the score of 77 to 65.

Interestingly enough, Kansas St. had the highest average attendance with 7,141. The next highest attended home team was Wyoming with an average attendance of 3,523 per contest. Wyoming had two home games for the WNIT.

Based upon this I would think that SDSU has a very good chance of hosting at least one WNIT contest, with a high probability that SDSU could host games as long as the women continue to win in the WNIT. Of course the women need to continue winning the games left on their schedule and they have to get an invite to the WNIT.

Good Luck to the women's team tonight!!

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Thanks NorCalJack! That is some great research!

My SDSU ego may be talking here, but I can't imagine that we would blow just about every one of those rounds out of the water except for the last two games at K-State!

Now, different things come into play such as the day of the week when the games are scheduled but I'm assuming that they would set the schedule favorably for attendance.

We've got to get in and then we've got to host! I get goosebumps thinking about post-season basketball back in Frost Arena!

GO LADIES!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
          [quote author=ringthebells link=1171337217/15#28 date=1171551064]Will USD be eligible to make WNIT next year?
          You're not serious are you???  They won't be moving up until after next year.  Plus Chad has to make his team way better than they currently are to have a shot at the WNIT.[/quote]

UND beat them again tonight. USD now 4-5 in the NCC. They might not make the DII post-season, I sure wouldn't be worrying about the WNIT for them. They ought to think about winning DII games much less DI games or DI post-season.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think . . . further USD discussion on this thread will be terminated with some degree of prejudice . . .
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

With the phenomenal success of the Jacks (they hit no. 27 in today's Sagarin ratings), they seem to be moving from a nice story as a school in transition to a serious contender to win the whole kit and kaboodle. I'm sure the Mid-Con women's basketball coaches are following the Jacks and wondering what the hell their schools got them into!

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...arams=Id=62573

Shortcut to Coach Johnston's interview about the WNIT.

Always a class act!! Managed to find his way through Mick and Stu's idiotic and off topic questions. I thought we were going to talk about the WNIT.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Was anybody on the Forum at Skelly's for Johnston's appearance? Or, does anybody have information about it?
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?URL=/templates/ArticleMultiMediaPopup.pbs&Date=20070220&A rtNo=70220020&Category=ONAIR01&ObjectClass =38&Params=Id=62573

Always a class act!! Managed to find his way through Mick and Stu's idiotic and off topic questions. I thought we were going to talk about the WNIT.
                    Is it just me or does Mick not have much to offer in that format?

Anyway, AJ is a class act and also an outstanding communicator. No doubt that's a big part of his success.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
                      [quote author=2002jack link=1171337217/30#36 date=1172015110]http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?URL=/templates/ArticleMultiMediaPopup.pbs&Date=20070220&A rtNo=70220020&Category=ONAIR01&ObjectClass =38&Params=Id=62573

Always a class act!!  Managed to find his way through Mick and Stu's idiotic and off topic questions.  I thought we were going to talk about the WNIT.
                      Is it just me or does Mick not have much to offer in that format?

Anyway, AJ is a class act and also an outstanding communicator. No doubt that's a big part of his success.[/quote]

Nice INTERVIEW!!!!! Go Jacks! Beat them Bovine! ;D

Comment

I think AJ could be a pretty good politician after his coaching years.

Leave it to SD to only permit one year contracts.

Nice little shot Mick or Stu tried to get on only recruiting 2 or 3 kids from SD for football, you're interviewing the girls basketball coach. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
                          I think AJ could be a pretty good politician after his coaching years.

Leave it to SD to only permit one year contracts.

Nice little shot Mick or Stu tried to get on only recruiting 2 or 3 kids from SD for football, you're interviewing the girls basketball coach. Why?
                          Example of Stu and Mick type guy.  My brother works at Daktronics, office job.  Talking to another guy at Dak.  Guy says (paraphrase) "Look how many SD recruits are CHOOSING USF, USD, Augie, and Northern over SDSU.  They get a lot more national attention at the lower level.  USF won a national championship.  How come SDSU can't get these SD kids?"  My brother replies with something like "Are you serious?"  The other guy was totally confused.  That is like Stu and Mick.

As an aside, how many NAIA division are there for FB and how many teams are in each divison? Maybe there is only one division and USF is in it, I honestly don't know.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Some rumblings at the press conference. Sounds like we very likely will get more good news on the 12th. Possibly a first round bye and hosting a 2nd round game. I do hope this comes true.

Comment

Host NIT teams must be able to demonstate that they can get a good crowd to show up. I am a University of San Francisco mens season ticket holder. USF had to give the NIT a guaranteed $60k in order to host a first round game a couple of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                                Some rumblings at the press conference. Sounds like we very likely will get more good news on the 12th. Possibly a first round bye and hosting a 2nd round game. I do hope this comes true.

From Jason Hove at the press conference: If there is a home game, tickets go on sale on Tuesday the 13th at 1 p.m. at the ticket office and at gojacks.com
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X